It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• Muscle Twitches that are driving me crazy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
    joe28paws
    Inactive

joe28paws HB User
    Talking Muscle Twitches that are driving me crazy

Hi All,

I don't know if this has anything to do with my RLS, but all night last night, I couldn't sleep my left leg was twitching really bad, it was driving me crazy. Finally I fell asleep and when I woke up this morning it hurt a little.

Now my right leg is twitching as I type this, the muscles or nerves are driving me batty.

My husband can literally see the twitching, I don't even have to look at it I can feel it.

Does twitching have anything to do with RLS? I have never noticed my legs to twitch like this before.

Thanks,
    JC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
    rita01
    (female)

rita01 HB User
    Re: Muscle Twitches that are driving me crazy

JOe28paws,
    I don't believe twitching has anything to do with RLS. Try magnesium, adding more to bowl tolerance. Taking too much will give diareah. Back off a bit from that point.
    This is something you should check with your DR to make sure something else is not going on.
    You may also want to try B vitamins, juicing celery, carrot and beet juice. I read in a juicing book that said celery juice gives the body the natural sodium in the body (not table salt) and seems to be good for many things.
    The other suggestions are fish oil, resveratol. There is a company that makes the resveratol as a liquid in a capsule. This is the only one that worked for me. I tried the dry version. It didn't seem to have any affect.
    My twitching comes and goes. I have no idea why.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
    1GoodNana
    (female)

1GoodNana HB User

I believe twitching can be a symptom of RLS. Everyone has slightly different symptoms. My legs twitch and you can see the muscles move sometimes. You have to really watch for it, but you can see it. Drives me absolutely over the edge! Also we use different descriptive words to try to explain our symptoms, and sometimes the words don't necessarily mean the same thing to everyone.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
    1GoodNana
    (female)

1GoodNana HB User

I have had muscle twitches and spasms for years although the emphasis was more on spasms and cramps for a long time. For a couple of years now I have been having increasing twitches. It was at night only for a while and now 24/7. It is rare that I am ever completely without twitches. There is no muscle weakness although when the twitches are really bad, my muscles feel tired. If you had all of the tests and they were negative, i.e. didn't prove anything more serious, and you still have intermittent twitches all over then I suspect it's possible that you have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS). Following is some information I found about the syndrome. I have about decided that I have BFS rather than RLS (Restless Legs).

What are the symptoms of BFS?
    This condition represents a hyperexcitability of the neuromuscular system.

Common symptoms of BFS are frequent muscle twitches (fasciculations or fascics), generalized fatigue, "pins and needles" sensations, migrating numbness, muscle cramping and/or spasms in the affected areas (usually the feet and calves), muscle aches and stiffness exercise intolerance, headaches, and itchiness.

Clinically some patients have mild increases in creatine kinase. Muscle biopsy may show mild neurogenic changes. Electrodiagnostic studies show peripheral nerve hyperexcitability.

Often the symptoms will get worse at night, or during periods of sickness or viral infections, stress, or overexertion.

Many people experiencing these symptoms fear they may have ALS or MS. A simple clinical rule is that fasciculations in relaxed muscle are never indicative of motor system disease unless there is an associated weakness, atrophy, or reflex change.

What are fasciculations?
    Fasciculations, or fascics are localized twitches of the muscle fibers.
    From the On-Line Medical Dictionary:

A small local contraction of muscles, visible through the skin, representing a spontaneous discharge of a number of fibres innervated by a single motor nerve filament.
    Copy this web link into your browser and check out the description of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS):
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm

Old 11-27-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
    ginger4him
    (female)

ginger4him HB User
    Smile Re: Muscle Twitches that are driving me crazy

My son is having uncontrollable spasms all over his body. The best way to discribe the worst one he had is to say thatit was like a seizure, but he was awake and consicious. He said at the time that he was having spasms in his back and they would make his whole body convulse up. When he was in the emergency room they gave him all kinds of medication to try and stop them, but nothing helped, they finally subsided on their own after about 2 hours. He is still having milder episodes. The jerking will move around from limb to limb. Today in church he started having another "episode" this time I noticed it started in his leg and the his upper body started convulsing. They always happen when he is tired or stressed. The first "episode" happened about two weeks after he had a virus much like the flu. When we took him to the er he was also diagnosed with a kidney infection. In the hospital the original diagnoses was amphitamine abuse. I was able to get it changed the next morning when his doctor verified that he was taking prescription Adderall for ADD. His primary care doctor diagnosed him with a less than common side affect to adderall called dyskinesia caused from an over production of dopomine. It made sense, we found it on the internet as a side effect of the medication. However, he had another bad episode 5 days later after being off the medicine. Dr. chalked it up as it being slow to get it out of his system. Okay, makes sense. Only they have not stopped. He is still getting them and he is still having the bad headaches.
    He will not go back to the doctor, he is 20 yrs, he was treated really bad in the er. In fact the 2nd time we went back they made us wait 2 hours in the waiting room. He was convulsing so bad that we were having to hold him in his chair. After 2 hours we finally just went home and after about another hour they subsided and he fell asleep.
    My question is: Does this sound like what you have been experiencing. Does sleep bring releif? It does him. Even in his sleep he will jerk, more like restless leg syndrome, but it is not always limited to his legs.
    Any help that anyone can offer would be great.
    Thanks,
    Ginger4Him

Old 11-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
    1GoodNana
    (female)

1GoodNana HB User

I have BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome) and the symptoms your son is having are nothing like I have. When I say my muscles are twitching, you have to look at the muscle to see it moving under the skin. My twitches are not convulsions that almost throw me off a chair and they don't move my limbs. If your son has not seen a neurologist, I would suggest that as the next step. .

There may literally be 100's of conditions, disorders, and chemical-based reactions that can occur. Only a neurologist can sort through everything to get to the bottom of it. You may need to get a recommendation from your son's primary care physician before being able to make an appointment with a neurologist and it sometimes takes 2-3 months to get that first appointment.

I don't have Restless Legs Syndrome so perhaps someone else will come along with a response that you might find helpful, but I truly believe getting to a neurologist is just the most sensible thing to do next.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
    ozcally
    (female)

ozcally HB User
    Post Re: Muscle Twitches that are driving me crazy

I had Muscle jerking several years ago First just in the legs it seem to be as I was about to fall asleep.
    Then later on it became rather servere so was sent to a neurologists it came up with nothing yet while one of the test was being done my right leg was jerking rather badly,well they found nothig so i went on line and found a epileptic site based in the UK and I found my own answer I related it to my GP and he agreed.
    It was Myoclonic Epilepsy its Jerking of the limbs It took some time to find the right medication but I have been ok since,I do get some minor Jerks as i start to fall asleep

Last edited by ozcally; 11-30-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
    jimmyhonda
    (male)

jimmyhonda HB User

hi, just like to know, when you guys experience muscle jerking, does it hurt?

i was diagnose with osteoarthritis - which can only be seen in x-rays where cartilages are loss in my hip bone.

when cartilages are loss, your joints can't absorb "shock".

but i know there must be more that iss wrong with me - it's just that the doctors i've been seeing don't understand me.

i've been having twitching feeling in my right leg in the morning which wakes me up. and when I walk beyond a speed limit, or something bumps in to me all of a sudden, my leg will go flying around (muscle spasm).

Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe28paws
    Hi All,

I don't know if this has anything to do with my RLS, but all night last night, I couldn't sleep my left leg was twitching really bad, it was driving me crazy. Finally I fell asleep and when I woke up this morning it hurt a little.

Now my right leg is twitching as I type this, the muscles or nerves are driving me batty.

My husband can literally see the twitching, I don't even have to look at it I can feel it.

Does twitching have anything to do with RLS? I have never noticed my legs to twitch like this before.

Thanks,
    JC

Thats what restless legs are. You could be low on magnesium... you need to have an intracellular test for magnesium. Also look up Dr. Mildred Seelig..she is the world's foremost authority on magnesium

Closed Thread