It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• Low ferritin can cause RLS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Low ferritin can cause RLS

Everyone who has RLS should have their ferritin level tested.

Be sure to get a copy of your lab reports.

Do NOT settle for being told your ferritin is "normal", find out what your number is.

OPTIMAL ferritin is between 70 & 90.

Ferritin less than 50 is associated with RLS (though most doctors don't seem to know this).

Do NOT settle for being told your hemeglobin level is fine therefore you don't need a ferritin level done either!

I had a normal hemeglobin of 12 & a ferritin level of 15 !

Also, the lab reports will say a ferritin as low as 10 is "normal". THat is WAY TOO LOW.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
    bob_rockford
    (male)

bob_rockford HB User
    Re: Low ferritin can cause RLS

So.. do you supplement?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

GCC--I was just telling someone about this earlier on another post. My Ferritin was a 2. I am now a 9, 7 months later. Yippie!!!!!!!!! It also takes a year to fill this storage tank if you don't get IV iron. I'm taking oral supplements 300 daily. RLS is from many different things. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

RLS is caused by a lack of a vitamin or a mineral. Or many... the best thing to do is go to a dr. Or a natural path and have all of them checked. You can tell a natural path you just want to check all your vitamins and minerals... as well as ferritin or your IRON. Since that might be more easy for most ppl to understand. You donít have to get a reason for it, you can say it is for RLS. But you can jsut do it to be healthy. But with a doctor, you do have to get a reason. And if THAT doctor is not in the mood, they donít have to run any free tests if they donít want to... its sad, but true. Some doctors will help you get healthy, and you donít have to return to them, because you are all better, others would rather Wright you an RX. And not test you for anything you ask, because they want you to keep coming back... this is how they make hundreds of dollars an hour.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Most doctors never check ferritin.

Mine was never been checked until I asked for it.

Mine was 15 (with in the "normal range" of 10 - 300) but far from optimal! My hemeglobin was never too low. You can't just go by hemeglobin to diagnose low iron.

I supplemented with iron and vit C. After about 2 months I noticed that my heart palpitations and shortness of breath went away. And my stamina improved.

In my research about low ferritin I found out that low ferritin can cause...heart palpitations, shortness of breath, infertility,fatugue & RLS.

I had the heart papitations, fatugue & shortness of breath. I had been to cardiologist about the palpitations. They did expensive test and could never figure out anything that should cause my palpitaions.

I must also say that I had low magnesium too (and I also started taking magnesium supplements).

Do a web search for low ferritin RLS.

Anyone with RLS should have their ferritin checked & if it is lower than 50 should supplement with iron & have the ferritin re-checked about 2 months later. It may help or cure the problem.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GCC; 09-02-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Closed Thread