It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• What worked for me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
    saintj
    (female)

saintj HB User
    Talking What worked for me

I had been having problems with RLS for a couple of years. It's mostly during the evening while watching TV or reading. Sometimes I've had to go to bed early to stop it. I don't have it very much after I get into bed, why I don't know. I was finally diagnosed with arthritis on the top of my left foot which caused me quite a bit of pain. The Dr. told me orthotics could help with the pain because the arch of my left foot was flattening out causing the bones on the top of my foot to rub together. I got the arch supports and immediately noticed the pain was much reduced. And then, I noticed the restless leg syndrome was just GONE. Just amazing! I have been wearing these supports for about 6 weeks and I haven't had RLS once since then. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you find something that works without the side effects of drugs. I was mainly trying to find a way to stop the aching in my left foot - it was just coincidental that the remedy stopped the RLS too.

Orthotics are expensive, but so is having a chronic painful physical problem that prevents you from walking - more so than you realize. I wear the supports inside of Land's End Trello sandals because I still can't wear closed shoes because it hurts to have any pressure on the top of my foot, but I'm hoping this will improve with time. As long as I wear the sandals with the supports I can walk without pain and no more RLS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
    CaliKay
    (female)

CaliKay HB User
    Lightbulb Re: What worked for me

It is a relief to find a way to live with restless leg syndrome. I have been aware of my problem with RLS for about 13 years. Then in the last few years I began to suffer with muscle spasms from bulging discs. I usually took 1 muscle relaxer at night for the last few years, but the RLS still persisted. So I figured I had nothing to lose by analyzing my diet. I know my diet is inadequate so I have been supplementing with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and various other items for 20 years. After doing the math, I realized that for quite a long time, my magnesium intake was too low and then after researching magnesium I found that it plays a big part in healthy muscles. Now I take adequate amounts of magnesium and the RLS has been gone for 2 years now and recently I asked my mother (80 years old) to start on magnesium because her supplements do not supply enough and her RLS is gone for the cost of $3. I am sure the orthothodics help as I have been using them too, but did not completely solve the problem and they didnt fit into all of my shoes, but I do make sure to buy shoes that have built in in-step support. Theses ideas may not help some people who have a much worse problem that only specialized medications can help, but the side effects need to be considered as well. Just thought I would share, any relief is better than none.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: please do not quote when you are the first to reply

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
    PAskeptic
    (female)

PAskeptic HB User
    Re: What worked for me

Oh my gosh! You sound like me! I was just diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis that came out of going to the doctor for swelling and pain in my left foot! They want to put me on methotreaxate and so far I have refused.(very potent chemotherapy drug)
    I have inserts for my shoes that I got from the chiropractor, but these were mad last year before the painand swelling started. Do you think I should ask my DO if he can refer me to a podiatrist for new orthonics? I would much rather try all alternatives before going on drugs for my somewhat mild symptoms. Thanks for any advice.

PAskeptic

Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
    saintj
    (female)

saintj HB User
    Re: What worked for me

Oh yes! Get some good orthotics. I have now been wearing mine for 3 months and still no restless legs. The only downside is the inserts are expensive. I paid $ 300.00 for mine plus the MD's bill. I'm scared to death my 2 Airedale puppies will sneak one or both out to the backyard and use it as a chew toy. I have to hide my shoes every night :>

I have to admit I'm just amazed. I never thought this would help, but it did. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
    denicalis
    (female)

denicalis HB Userdenicalis HB User
    Cool Re: What worked for me

I have something like RLS but it is all over my body and makes me spasm...

Anyways, if you have no other solution Benedryl or something like it may be a temporary relief for someone without an option or health insurance.

I take this because I am not into hard core prescriptions and I am undiagnosed still, on many medications, and have to have relief to sleep.

Closed Thread