It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• Valerian Root as a sleep aid/tranquilizer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
    imtwitchin

imtwitchin HB User
    Question Valerian Root as a sleep aid/tranquilizer

I'm on a particularly bad run with rls right now--the mirapex is not working, and I am getting very little sleep. Trazadone is not working, either, unless I take a whole tab, and that causes severe nausea upon arising. My legs laugh at diazepam (Valium). So three nights ago, I took valerian root tabs from the herbal counter for the first time. Had a great night's sleep! Well, it could be I just "fainted" from built-up fatigue, so I tried again, night #2--again, a good night's sleep. Then last night, #3, not so good. But then, I had coffee late in the afternoon and stayed up late watching a ball game, so maybe that was not a fair test. Tonight is #4. We'll see.
    It doesn't seem to stop the twitches, it just helps me sleep, which is HUGE. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, but I'm optimistic.
    Also, though, let me add that I find that NOTHING works ALL the time. I have to rotate around. And sometimes, there is just nothin' doin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2002, 02:03 PM   #2
    Country Girl
    (female)

Country Girl HB User
    Question

So, how has it been since then?

Old 11-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #3
    imtwitchin

imtwitchin HB User
    Smile

On the whole, I am finding the Valerian helpful, not a panacea. I will say that I am sleeping much, much better, often the whole night through. Two nights, I also took the valium as well, which may not be such a safe idea. I have read on the web that Valerian seems to have a similar effect to valium, but work in a different way, so I hope that it would not amount to an overdose. I will consult my doc about that. But I have felt no ill effect.

I should warn that dried valerian root stinks to high heaven. Hold your breath while you take the capsules--really! It takes 30 minutes to an hour to take effect. But it does help me be relaxed and take advantage of that crucial period between hitting the sheets and getting hit with the rls. By the way, mine starts with a sensation that reminds me of "twinkle light explosions" being set off at random throughout my legs. I can see and feel with my hand the little tremors. Then 20 minutes later, the full-fledges contractions.

I suspect that I probably still twitch in my sleep. But for the time being, I don't care all that much as long as I do sleep--this is a big improvement for me. And maybe soon the mirapex will begin to work again.

Sweet dreams, everyone.

Old 11-21-2002, 07:41 PM   #4
    imtwitchin

imtwitchin HB User
    Talking

Good News! After a week, I can say that the rls insomnia cycle has been broken, thanks to valerian root. I take 3 capsules an hour before bedtime. I feel quite drowsy when I go to bed, and get to sleep within 10 minutes. During that time, I feel a few of the tremors that let me know the rls will be kicking in soon if I don't get to sleep. But I have been sleeping soundly for 8 or even more hours, and I am the most rested and resultingly most competent during the day that I have been for a while. I don't know how long it will last, but I definitely recommend that if you have insomnia associated with your rls, you try valerian root. It did help me.

Old 12-15-2002, 02:29 PM   #5
    imtwitchin

imtwitchin HB User
    Cool

After one month, I am really sold on Valerian Root. It got me past this phase of RLS. My mirapex is appartently working again, so I don't need a sleep aid every night. I am alternating with melatonin, because I don't want to build up immunity: I find that nothing works for long if used every night. But try Valerian. Don't worry about the smell, that just means it is mature root. It doesn't taste.

Closed Thread