It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• What cured my Restless Leg Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User
    Smile What cured my Restless Leg Syndrome

I have suffered for many many years with RLS. My sleep was severly affected and I was at my wits end. My doctor didn't seem particularly interested in even talking about it but he did mention Magnesium as an afterthought at my last office visit. The next time I was in the pharmacy I thought "what the heck, I'll try anything to get some relief" and bought a small bottle of Magnesium 250 mg. I started taking one a day at dinnertime and it worked almost immediately. I am 99% symptom free after 2 months of taking the magnesium. As simple as that! I'm so happy that I had to come here and share. I hope this will help someone else too!

The following user gives a hug of support to Aliguy119:
    xilch (10-18-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Aliguy119 For This Useful Post:
    EileenLC (10-28-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
    judyk28
    (female)

judyk28 HB User
    Smile Re: What cured my Restless Leg Syndrome

I will definetly give this a try. A friend of mine just mentioned magnesium to me today, what a coincindence.Thank you for posting. Did you also have trouble with itchy skin all over your body?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User
    Re: What cured my Restless Leg Syndrome

Quote:
    Originally Posted by judyk28 View Post
    I will definetly give this a try. A friend of mine just mentioned magnesium to me today, what a coincindence.Thank you for posting. Did you also have trouble with itchy skin all over your body?
    Judy - I hope this simple fix works for you as well as it has for me. I still get occasional very mild bouts but nothing like I endured before the magnesium was added to my daily diet. I cannot say that I have had any itchy skin other than typical winter dry skin on hands and legs.
    Let me know if the magnesium helps you. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
    captjane
    Inactive
    (female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

ali, Im so glad you posted this. most of us just dont get enough magnesium in our diet and it does cause muscle twitches and spasms and the answer is so simple,you just need to top up the magnesium in the diet with supplements. It also works great if you get muscle tics and starts working just about straight away to fix things.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
    Aliguy119 (12-17-2013)
    Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User

CaptJane- thank you for your positive post regarding the benefits of adding Magnesium to alleviate muscle tics and spasms. It certainly did the trick for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aliguy119 For This Useful Post:
    captjane (12-18-2013)
    Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
    24Bri
    (male)

24Bri HB User

That is awesome news. I will have to give Magnesium a try as a supplement to what I am currently doing. For the last 4 months I have been taking a natural supplement called Amacari. It is a very high vitamin C, Anti-oxidant, Anti-inflammatory fruit. It has worked wonders for me and it 100% natural, which I LOVE. My night-time twitching has completely subsided. However I still get urges to stretch and tighten my lower leg muscles when sitting for extended amounts of time in the evening. I may add some Magnesium to my Amacari to see what happens. Congrats on finding something that works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to 24Bri For This Useful Post:
    Aliguy119 (01-07-2014)
    Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
    vegea
    (female)

vegea HB User

I too use Magnesium. When I take it by capsule, It makes me have nearly diarrhea, so I bought the liquid form at the health food store. I pour a little in my hands with some lotion and rub it in my calves before bed. Works like a charm!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User

Wow- great tip! I bought some cream that I use but it is expensive. Will give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
    JReh
    (female)

JReh HB User
    Smile Re: What cured my Restless Leg Syndrome

I too have been plagued by restless leg syndrome for many years (about 10 or so). I read somewhere that vitamin D may be a factor and realized that my symptoms were less on vacations where I skipped my morning vitamins. I was taking a big box store knockoff of Centrum Silver and several other supplements in the morning and the calcium I took in the evening contained vitamin D. I first switched to a calcium that didn't contain vitamin D which reduced my symptoms. I then stopped taking all vitamins and supplements for two weeks and have slowly added them a week at a time. First I switched to a multi-vitamin that is considered natural in that most of the ingredients are derived from food or yeast and contains no artificial colors. I don't know at this point what factors are involved (other than a sensitivity to vitamin D) - artificial colors, a specific vitamin or the source of the vitamins but I have been symptom free for 3 months!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JReh View Post
    I too have been plagued by restless leg syndrome for many years (about 10 or so). I read somewhere that vitamin D may be a factor and realized that my symptoms were less on vacations where I skipped my morning vitamins. I was taking a big box store knockoff of Centrum Silver and several other supplements in the morning and the calcium I took in the evening contained vitamin D. I first switched to a calcium that didn't contain vitamin D which reduced my symptoms. I then stopped taking all vitamins and supplements for two weeks and have slowly added them a week at a time. First I switched to a multi-vitamin that is considered natural in that most of the ingredients are derived from food or yeast and contains no artificial colors. I don't know at this point what factors are involved (other than a sensitivity to vitamin D) - artificial colors, a specific vitamin or the source of the vitamins but I have been symptom free for 3 months!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User

I did not know that Vit. D could cause problems related to RLS. I take calcium with Vit. D plus an additional vitamin D capsule at my Dr.'s recommendation. I think that I'll stop the extra capsule and see if I notice a lessening of the minor symptoms I still have from time to time. Thanks for this information!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
    Ben1978
    (male)

Ben1978 HB User

Keep in mind that Magnesium Oxide hardly absorbs in your body, therefore its main purpose is a laxative. To control nerve spasms and relax the muscles, you need to take magnesium in citrate or chelated form. Unfortunately, these forms are more expensive and harder to find. Also, there has been some research that suggests the B Vitamins may aggravate symptoms because they are a stimulate. Calcium also contracts the muscles, rather than relax them. So, I doubt Vitamin D is causing the problem, most likely it's either the B Vitamins or Calcium in the multi-vitamin causing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben1978 For This Useful Post:
    Aliguy119 (04-11-2014)
    Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
    Aliguy119
    (female)

Aliguy119 HB User

Ben1978- I was not aware that there were different forms of magnesium. Just checked the label on what I am taking and it is the oxide form. Even so, I have found relief from the spasms since I've been taking it. Will look for the citrate or chelated form when I need to replenish my supply. Thanks for the information!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
    Ben1978
    (male)

Ben1978 HB User

You're welcome. I am surprised the oxide form works for you, but I guess everyone's body absorbs things differently. Therefore, since the oxide form is cheaper anyway and works for you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
    Ben1978
    (male)

Ben1978 HB User

If you do decide to switch to chelated magnesium or citrate, you won't need a high dose because more of that form is absorbed. (I believe 200-400mg max per day is safe). TOO much mag can be toxic to the body, so dont't over-do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben1978 For This Useful Post:
    Aliguy119 (04-11-2014),muddled (05-17-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    restless leg syndrome, rls