It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board

• Hydrochloric Acid (HCL)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User
    Hydrochloric Acid (HCL)

I did a search for HCL on the rosacea forum, and saw nothing. I was so surprised! I've been doing research online about clearing up rosacea and discovered there is often a stomach connection, which isn't too surprising. But what was surprising was that a great majority of rosacea sufferers also produce too little hydrochloric acid in their stomachs which causes digestive issues and shows on our faces. So very recently, like 4 days ago, I started taking HCL acid pills (which you can easily find at health food stores) during my main meals, either once or twice a day. My skin is slowly starting to look better, but it's still early and as we all know, our faces go through varying periods of looking better or worse. I have never been able to figure out the trigger foods. I don't drink alcohol or drink caffeinated coffee or other drinks. I don't eat much or any of the typical trigger foods like meats, alcohol, caffeine, but I do like my chocolate.

I've read online from others with rosacea that taking HCL pills helped clear their skin. I want to make sure my body is absorbing all the vitamins and nutrients I am eating, as well. So if I do produce too little HCL acid, this should help. I have also noticed that my bowels are more of a solid consistency. I have increasingly had issues with loose bowels on and off, but it's gotten more to be a regular thing. Plus, I've been having more stomach upset, bloating and burping after eating recently. I can say already that my bloating, and excessive burping after eating has improved, too, since starting the HCL pills. I will keep everyone posted to let you know if my skin continues to clear up and stay cleared up. I read I need to take the HCL pills for about 3-4 months to retrain my body to make more acid during digestion. The number of pills depends on each individual and how much protein you are eating during the meal. Gradually increase the number of pills you take with each large meal (which has protein in it) and if you don't feel any stomach discomfort or burning, then keep increasing the pill number. Once you start feeling the discomfort, and burning, then reduce the pill number by one, and that is the magic number of pills you should take with each meal containing protein. And the HCL pills you choose should contain pepsin, as this helps with digesting protein.

I also noticed using tea tree oil helps with clearing the pimple-like bumps I get. I usually put an ointment on my face at night which contains tea tree oil and some other ingredients like eucalyptus oil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User
    Re: Hydrochloric Acid (HCL)

I'm still taking 1 650 mg HCL with pepsin with at least one meal per day, sometimes I take a digestive enzyme pill too. My face is still getting better, each day I see an improvement. It's less red considerably. I started using the SPA face wash from Trader Joe's with tea tree oil in it, that someone on here recommended. And I'm still applying tea tree oil ointment on my face a couple times per week.

Just about one week ago I hit a wall with my face. It had gotten SO bad that I was desperate. I started researching online like mad. You see, I'm pregnant so can't take any of the prescription meds for rosacea. Plus, I wouldn't take any oral antibiotics anyway because of the negative effects and they don't lead to a cure.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User

I'm still taking 1 650 mg HCL with pepsin with at least one meal per day, sometimes I take a digestive enzyme pill too. My face is still getting better, each day I see an improvement. It's less red considerably. I started using the SPA face wash from Trader Joe's with tea tree oil in it, that someone on here recommended. And I'm still applying tea tree oil ointment on my face a couple times per week.

Just about one week ago I hit a wall with my face. It had gotten SO bad that I was desperate. My whole face was bright red, it was so embarrassing to go to work like that. I started researching online like mad. You see, I'm pregnant so can't take any of the prescription meds for rosacea. Plus, I wouldn't take any oral antibiotics anyway because of the negative effects and they don't lead to a cure. I'm very pleased with how my face is looking so much better. I have a few pimples, but they clear up quickly with the tea tree oil ointment. I'm also not expecting complete improvement immediately. After all, it took years to get this bad.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
    roxcyn
    Veteran
    (male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Hi thank you sharing. You mentioned chocolate as a food you love. Chocolate has a small amount of caffeine in it and sugar which are triggers for people with rosacea. I don't think I should take the hcl supplement as I have a history of ulcers. Don't think that would be a good idea. You might want to consider prosacea gel or metro gel 1% as these are not something taken orally. I wouldn't want to take antibiotics either as they're hard on the stomach and I have stomach issues.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
    thatsmycat
    (female)

thatsmycat HB User

Hi Oceanus,

I had been following your posts for a while, and I have the same chronic condition that you have had and the last you posted you had used homeopathy to treat it. It seems your life has changed since then and I was wondering if you could provide an update on your progress and if you have any advice. I am currently trying out new things myself. It has been a challenge.

Thanks,
    Thatsmycat

Reply Reply