It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board

• Does this sound like rosacea?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
    michele2323
    (female)

michele2323 HB User
    Does this sound like rosacea?

Almost 2 years ago now, I developed a spot of vascular redness near the side of my right cheek closer to the bottom of my face - sort of like where the bottom of your phone would hit if you were holding it to your ear. This gradually spread up and over near mid-cheek in that area, and to another smaller spot between the outer side of my right eyebrow and my ear. At first I thought this might be due to nickel or something in my phone irritating me, so I stopped letting it touch my face - that didn't help. Over the last 20 months, Iíve seen 2 GPs and 2 derms, and no one can figure this out. I have tried several creams (Elidel, Protopic, and Topicort, plus many moisturizers) and the only one thatís come close to doing anything except making it irritated and look worse has been Ketoderm, an anti-fungal - I donít think itís really making any difference though - some days I think so but really, thereís not much difference and Iíve been using it over a month now. The rash seems to be almost imperceptible when I wake up in the morning, but after Iíve been up for 10 mins or so or have a shower, it reappears and gets worse as the day goes on. Itís never actually gone away entirely for even a little while since it appeared, the severity of it just comes and goes. Itís not horribly obvious (I can cover it with makeup and itís not extremely noticeable unless you look closely), and it doesnít itch or hurt at all. It shows as mildly scaly once makeup has been sitting on it all day, but itís otherwise flat and smooth - you canít feel it to touch it. When the derm looked at it with his magnifying thing, he said each hair follicle had a slight irritation to it. He sent me for autoimmune blood work to rule out lupus and similar disorders - this came back negative for ANA antibodies. I do have a family history of rosacea (my father - we are pale, blond and of British descent, and his presentation is more typical along the nose and central cheek). I have always had sensitive skin and cannot be in the sun without burning. I have a history of uncomplicated acne and some cystic acne, but this has been better in recent years. I had severe eczema as a child but not as an adult. I am 35 and was 33 when this began. A recent ultrasound revealed mild fatty liver which I am surprised about considering I eat a decent diet and donít drink alcohol more than once in a while, but I have heard that liver issues can cause rashes (not sure about rosacea specifically?) and am now working to reverse this problem with more exercise and an even healthier diet and 0 alcohol. I always thought rosacea was more prominent in the nose and central cheek area and looked like acne or bumps, which is not what Iím experiencing. I do have moderate dry eye as well, itís much worse in the winter and I live in a very dry climate and do computer work all day - in the summer itís barely a problem. I also have seasonal allergies. The derm I am seeing now said he will probably have to do a biopsy to figure it out, and I am so ready for that but I canít see him until mid-October as he is fully booked. I am just getting so tired of this on top of my other health issues. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any insight based on my symptoms? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Does this sound like rosacea?

I was going to suggest biopsy for sure.
    Do you have any issues with your hands?

q

Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
    michele2323
    (female)

michele2323 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    I was going to suggest biopsy for sure.
    Do you have any issues with your hands?

q
    Not sure if you mean skin or joints-wise, but I have little to no pain inside the hands. I had terrible eczema on them as a preteen but nothing further since. The derm was looking at my fingers (I guess to check for RA or Reynaudís) but they look normal too.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
    ScarlettA
    (female)

ScarlettA HB User

Hi - You certainly do have a puzzling situation going on. My suggestion would be to get a second opinion from another derm. If you live near any of the large teaching hospitals, it might be worth your while to go there, where your case would be presented to the derm department. I mean a hospital like Stanford, Johns Hopkins, et al.

I'm also fair, and have rosacea, dry eye, blepharitis, and had acne off and on until I was in my 40's. My rosacea is much worse on the left side of my face, although it is on both sides. The left cheek always feels sore to the touch, and has a spot that looks like it is peeling. Also, my left eye is sore, and the bleph and dry eye are both worse on that one side. If I am under even the least amount of stress, my entire face begins to burn and turns a bright flushed red. It can be embarrassing, but at my advanced age, I try to laugh it off . . . nothing
    I can do to control those "attacks", except a cold washcloth or a quick application of aloe vera gel.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing, if you get a definite diagnosis, I would be very interested in knowing what it is.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
    michele2323
    (female)

michele2323 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScarlettA View Post
    Hi - You certainly do have a puzzling situation going on. My suggestion would be to get a second opinion from another derm. If you live near any of the large teaching hospitals, it might be worth your while to go there, where your case would be presented to the derm department. I mean a hospital like Stanford, Johns Hopkins, et al.

I'm also fair, and have rosacea, dry eye, blepharitis, and had acne off and on until I was in my 40's. My rosacea is much worse on the left side of my face, although it is on both sides. The left cheek always feels sore to the touch, and has a spot that looks like it is peeling. Also, my left eye is sore, and the bleph and dry eye are both worse on that one side. If I am under even the least amount of stress, my entire face begins to burn and turns a bright flushed red. It can be embarrassing, but at my advanced age, I try to laugh it off . . . nothing
    I can do to control those "attacks", except a cold washcloth or a quick application of aloe vera gel.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing, if you get a definite diagnosis, I would be very interested in knowing what it is.
    Thank you! You gave me the great idea to see if my city has a dermatology clinic associated with the medical school - looks like it does! I am going to ask for a referral there when I see my GP tomorrow. Iíve brushed this off as an annoyance for too long, Iíd really like to get to the bottom of it before it decides to spread any more. Doesnít hurt to try a third derm, I suppose - the more opinions, the better. Iím not sure what it is about derms, but Iíve never seen one I felt great about after leaving. The first one I saw was awful - she just touched it, snorted like I was wasting her time, and said ďwell thatís nothing sinister. Come back in the winter if it doesnít go away.Ē She was out of the room before I could even ask a follow up question. Of course it didnít go away, but thereís no way I was going back to her. I will update with any new news. Wishing you good health

Reply Reply