It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board

• Sebhorreic Dermatitis: How to Control it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
    xdenielx
    (male)

xdenielx HB User
    Sebhorreic Dermatitis: How to Control it

I've suffered from bad combination skin my whole life. This means that I would have oily skin in some spots (with cystic acne), and seemingly dry flaky red irritated skin in other spots (seborrheic dermatitis). In reality both conditions are caused by an excess of oil. Seborrheic dermatitis appears to be an irritation due to dry skin, but in reality your skin becomes flaky and "dry" due to an irritation with the yeast that feeds on the oil on your skin.

My early 20s were basically ruined by this condition. It wasnt until I became older and wiser that I learned how to cope with this problem, and I will list the steps below.

Seborrheic dermatitis is an uncurable ailment, but TRUST ME, you can beat it into submission and make it very easily manageable if you follow these steps.

1.) As noted above, acne and seborrheic dermatitis are both caused by the same oily mess. So the first step is to CONTROL THE OIL. I had moderate cystic acne, and I would try tons of topicals, but they would always irritate and flare up my dermatitis, so i would try a topical, flare up and not be able to handle it, and quite soon after. So my acne and my dermatitis never went away.

Retinoids are the best topical to control oil and this type of skin, and they WILL clear up your acne eventually. Eventually I started using Differin, and was encouraged to stick with it after a bad initial flare up of acne and seb derm both. It worked wonders on my acne after a couple months (i havent had a pimple in 2 years, from having 10 CYSTS/week), and If you clean up the oil, the dermatitis will get better, and the steps I list below will help you control it as well, but you have to stick out the inital flare up!!!!

2.) If you are using topical corticosteroids (hydrocortisone, or anything stronger like cutivate, etc), stop IMMEDIATELY! You should never use these on your face. They work wonders temporarily, but then the dermatitis comes back, and the more steroids you use, the more you need. If you think its a coincidence that your seb derm got worse once you started using them, ITS NOT. I was advised to use them as much as needed for a couple years. Eventually my skin became addicted and no amount would stop the dermatitis, and when a new dermatologist finally told me I had to stop cold turkey, my skin went berzerk from steroid withdrawal. I literally didnt go out socially for 6 months.

3.) Ok now we are on the right track. We are getting the oil under control and we are off the steroids which will make it worse in the long run.

The next step is to go to your dermatologist and get the right antifungal. There are lots and lots of topicals to treat seb derm, but most of them don't work. Corticosteroids we discussed above. Sulfur washes and tar gels and permasebs and shampoos and multiple types of antifungals, etc.

For me, I found that the only antifungal topical that had any real effect was ketacozanole 2%. And if you read the research, most research says the same thing. Most of the other washes just irritated my skin. Ketacozanole 2% cream will not cure the problem or even make it go away 100% for any period of time, but I found that when I put it on overnight, the next morning the redness and irritation was significantly diminished, on the order of 80%, and it was enough to make it easily tolerable until the episode subsided.

4.) This is the trick which made ALL THE DIFFERENCE for me, because no dermatologist will tell you this, and I learned it from a friend.

If you are having one of those really bad flare ups where your cheeks or your nose or your forehead are all flaky and irritated and bright red and itchy and you just dont want to leave the house.

Go out and buy SEA salt. Then, when you are in the shower, gently scrub it onto your face over the areas and leave it on for a few minutes. Then wash it off and after the shower spritz some cold water on. Then put on some moisturizer from step 5. Supposedly himalayan or dead sea are the best, but the one i bought was mediterranean sea salt because thats what the store had, and it worked great.

This trick will basically remove all of the dead excess flaky skin. Your skin will feel more irritated for a few minutes, but the next morning you will wake up and see that most of the irritation is gone, but most importantly, the flaky mess is gone. My skin goes from a flaky gross red disaster, to looking kinda like I have a bit of red in the cheeks, but almost in a good way, like I got some color.

TRUST ME, this trick WORKS.

5.) Finally, once you've done all of this, before you go to bed, lather a big helping of cetaphil fragrance free moisturizer. This will keep the skin fresh and moisturized, and even though seb derm isnt a "dryness" problem, it will help soothe the skin and irritation and keep it properly hydrated.

If you follow all of these steps, seb derm will go from controlling your life and your self-esteem and your stress level, to something very very manageable and barely a tiny nuisance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdenielx For This Useful Post:
    buddikay (05-10-2014),MountainReader (06-29-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread