It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board

Acne from Metro 0.75 lotion

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
kittycatpurr33
(female)

kittycatpurr33 HB User
Red face Acne from Metro 0.75 lotion

My doctor prescribed Metronidazole 0.75% topical lotion for my rosacea. This actually made it worse and caused me to break out/get acne. I'm able to use the gel, but not the lotion. Turns out it causes the same reaction in my mom. Anyone have any idea what is in it that would cause us to break out? It has benzel alcohol, carbomer 941, cyclomethicone, gycerin, glyceryl stearate, light mineral oil, PEG-100 stearate, polyethelyne glycol 400, potassium sorbate, steareth-21, stearyl alcohol and sodium hydroxide and/or lactic acid. I'm going to toss it out, but was curious if anyone else had this problem and could tie it to a certain ingredient (which I would avoid in anything I put on or in me!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
ScarlettA
(female)

ScarlettA HB User
Re: Acne from Metro 0.75 lotion

Yes, I had the same bad reaction to Metronidazole, and so did my daughter. I don't understand why doctors continue to prescribe it? I need something that calms my face, not something that irritates it! Aloe Vera lotion works as well for me, as any prescription, or expensive creams that are advertised on-line.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
roxcyn
Veteran
(male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

I am on metro gel 1% once a day. I use Prosacea Gel, Cetaphil Gentle cleanser and lotion, and CeraVe PM lotion. I also have used aloe vera gel. It helped me, too. I haven't noticed additional acne, but I got the gel (generic) prescription and it wasn't the lotion. Have you read "Rosacea Your Self-Help Guide" by Arlen Brownstein and Donna Shoemaker?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
ScarlettA
(female)

ScarlettA HB User

Doctors tend to prescribe Metro gel, when you are first diagnosed with Rosacea. Why, I don't know, because it doesn't work on most people. My doc prescribed it, and it made my face sore and red, and looked worse than before. Same thing happened with my daughter-in-law. Now we try out different moisturizers and sunscreens on our own, and recommend to each other. I have also found that over the years, different products stop working after a while, and you have to go to something else. Fortunately there are plenty of lotions and sunscreen out there to try. I recently bought CeraVe sunscreen SPF30, and cannot use it at all. It leaves a white film on my face that makes me look like a mummy! The ingredients say zinc, but they call it Invisa-Zinc, so it isn't supposed to look white, but it does! I'm now using a sunscreen by Kiss My Face. It's a #30, and says Sensitive Side 3 in l. I got it at Whole Foods.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
roxcyn
Veteran
(male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Hi ScarlettA, I've read Rosacea Your Self-Help Guide by Brownstein and Shoemaker so I know what you're saying. I also heard that what you use now might not work in the future. I'm taking it day by day, though. It looks better, though. My skin was always very red, and peeling. The stuff I'm using now seems to be working. I haven't had a bad reaction to metro gel 1%. I use Avon's moisturizer with SPF now. I need to focus on changing my diet, too.

Is Kiss My Face very expensive? Can you pick it up at other places?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
ScarlettA
(female)

ScarlettA HB User

roxcyn - the sunscreen Kiss My Face, is comparable in price to most others. I paid $12.95 at Whole Foods, which is always a bit more expensive than anywhere else. I'm sure they have it at some of the major drug stores, and speciality stores like Sprouts? I saw it on-line for only $7.95. If you decide to try it, remember to get the one that says Sensitive Side, 3 in 1.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
kato
(male)

kato HB User

I've just been prescribed metro cream .75%. It's too early to tell if this agrees with me or is doing any good, but thanks to all for the previous posts. I will certainly monitor things and not take it for granted that this stuff is going to work miracles. I'm supposed to use it twice a day.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
kato
(male)

kato HB User

Reporting back on my trial with metro cream. I did not like what it did to my face. Like others, it seemed to irritate rather than help my skin. I have now been prescribed Ivermectin 1% cream. I wonder if anyone has used it and what your thoughts are concerning it? It is also called Soolantra Cream. Hopefully this will have some positive results. Supposed to apply 2x day. Thanks for any input you can offer.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #9
Jbt120
(female)

Jbt120 HB User

I had the same reaction, partly because the GP who prscribed it failed to tell me you are not supposed to apply it all over to the redness, only to the bumps specifically when they flare up. I didnít learn this until I saw the dermatologist. The bumps come up for me when Iím extra stressed out. The gel seems to be more gentle on the skin then the cream version. Try the gel and only on the bumps not the rosy red cheeks/nose etc. Maybe that will help.

Also a tip, the green tinted makeup works wonderfully to cover the red blotches :-)

Reply Reply