It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Seroquel vs. Geodon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2004, 06:53 AM   #1
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User
    Seroquel vs. Geodon

Has anybody tried them both. Which has more side effects and what types of side effects do they both cause.
    Which is more sedating?
    Which is better for delusional thinking and Obsessional and compulsive thoughts.
    Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
    lahdeefrigginda
    Inactive

lahdeefrigginda HB User
    Re: Seroquel vs. Geodon

grr...... stupid computer made me post this twice........

Last edited by lahdeefrigginda; 01-26-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
    lahdeefrigginda
    Inactive

lahdeefrigginda HB User

Well, I haven't taken both medications, but I'm currently on seroquel and my boyfriend was on Geodon last year.

Seroquel has worked wonders for me. It cut out delusional thinking entirely (or, at least I think it did... which raises quite an issue, doesn't it? ) and eliminated almost all of my OCD idiosyncracies. I take it at night, and it knocks me right out, but I can still wake up in the morning, provided I take it at least 7-8 hours before I have to get up. The only problem I've noticed is that I have almost no ability to stand high temperatures any more, but, hey, it gets me out of a lot of stuff I'd rather not do anyway, you know?

Geodon, however, was the exact opposite for my boyfriend. There wasn't a single symptom he had that it didn't make worse, and there were several new ones that it gave him. His doctor originally started him on Geodon to treat his bipolar disorder, which was very severe, but it made him schizophrenic. It also made him so tired that no matter when he took it, if he sat down for more than a few minutes, he'd fall asleep. He used to only hallucinate or have delusional thinking while he was manic, but now he has delusions, hallucinations, and voices in his head all the time. The constant parnaoia is driving him insane, as is his almost total apathy and complete withdrawal. He stopped taking it, even though his doctor and family didn't believe him about the worsening of his symptoms. At first, the symptoms seemed to go away and lighten up a bit, but now they are back, and he cannot afford health care.

Now, keep in mind, these are just the experiences of two random people known to have weird side effects from any and all medications, so don't take what I've said for gospel. However, if anyone out there has had a similar reaction to Geodon, I'd be very thankful if they'd tell me about it!

Old 01-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

Thank you. Did you take your seroquel alone or with another med.
    How big was the dose???

Geodon is also known to permantely screw up your heart contractions and cause heart damage. This wont go away even if you stop the drug.
    Geodon is supposed to be a very dangerous med.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
    lahdeefrigginda
    Inactive

lahdeefrigginda HB User

Seroquel's all I'm taking right now for mental disorders, well, aside from adderall... I take 100 mg. a night, and that seems to do the trick... Yea I knew Geodon does that too, which is even more alarming, considering my boyfriend had a pre-existing irregular heartbeat.

I'm convinced his doc was just an idiot. The guy had him on Prozac, Ritalin/Concerta/Strattera, Ziprexa, and Geodon all at once, and at astronomic dosage levels... Its a wonder he only got as screwed up as he did.

Last edited by lahdeefrigginda; 01-26-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
    Kathy05

Kathy05 HB User

I have been on Seroquel for about 2 years. I started with 25mg every day and then moved up over many months to my current dosage of 900mg every day. I have exceeded the FDA approved level of 800me/day, but supposedly you can go much higher on the Seorquel, like 1200 or even 1800mg/day. I'm not too sure about that and that is why my doctor prescribed Geodon for me, so I can go up on geodon and down off seroquel.

The geodon was okay except for a feeling of muscle weakness that I had. It made it difficult to remain standing up. My muscles would get tired. This was on both 80mg/day and 160mg/day. So I stopped that medication.

Now, today in fact, I'm starting with Abilify. I had a bad reaction to the med, with intense nausea and vomiting. Yuck. I'm going to keep trying it though for a few more days.

I think the best med I've had is the seroquel, it really works well for me.

Kathy

Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 AM   #7
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

Geodon has been PROVEN to cause heart damage. Such as increase heart size and ventricular damage. Also, irregular heart beats.
    Also I read that geodon can cause Cataracts!!!!!!!!

Dont mess with geodon I hear it has some of the worse side effects of all the meds.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
    sadie46534

sadie46534 HB User

Our now 10 yr old was diagnosed schitzophrenic in a mental health facility @ age 6. Now 4 years later and a much better facility it has been 2 yrs since being hospitalized. He was on Seroquel ([email protected]), Remeron ([email protected] bedtime), Depakote (400mg @ bedtime)....
    and then he was admitted to the same facility ( we had no choice as the "good hospital" had a bed wait. we were next on their list since our son (8) then was trying to kill himself and burn the house down. Anyways, in the facility from "down there" they wanted us to double the meds (same bedtime dose but also in the morning) and give additional dose of depakote at lunchtime. We pulled him out of the facility as we knew the drugs werent working to begin with. We went round and round with them over the drugs. We wanted him completely taken off them and 1 drug used. something else had to work. we finally got him into the other facility and they put him on Zyprexa. What a change!! Its been almost 2 yrs and today we decided it was time to change meds since we did not want to cocktail him again. the dr has put him on Geodon. I have read alot about the drug. His dr was a pediatrician for 30 yrs and included psychiatry into it over the past 20 yrs. We feel that she is the one who should call the change. For the first time we have a dr that is knowledgable and intellegant. i cant say how Seroquel was since they cocktailed him. But I just want people to know--stand up for your feelings--do not let a degree chart your course just because the degree is on the wall. Read everything you can about the disorder and learn about the drugs to treat it. We check FDA recall all the time and drug alerts also. Be informed as we who have children are guinea pigs. Best of luck.

Last edited by sadie46534; 05-19-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Closed Thread