It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Can you know/think you have schizophrenia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
    takeaguess18
    (female)

takeaguess18 HB User
    Unhappy Can you know/think you have schizophrenia?

Okay. Going to try and organise the chaos in my brain into a question. For the last 4 months or so I keep hearing voices. I was on anti-depressants, and changed brands and the first time it happened I was between drugs so I thought it was withdrawal and ignored it. But it kept happening and now I hear them all the time. They tell me things like people are going to hurt me, are spying on me, things like that. I barely go out anymore, I'm hurting myself because they tell me to, in october they told me to cut my wrists so I did, and then they stopped and I freaked out and went to hospital and told them I was depressed because I was too scared to tell them "voices" told me to.

Also - my mum is schizophrenic. I know that puts me at an increased risk. But I'm so self-aware that I'm never entirely sure if I can be schizophrenic. I know the voices aren't real and I know what they're telling me is crap (even if I do do what they say a lot of the time to quiet them). I don't know what to do. If I go to the doctors can they admit me to hospital? I don't want that, I have classes (though I'm failing at the minute, 19 and in my 2nd yr at university). And can they tell my parents? I don't want that either, I don't get on with them, they're abusive and I moved away but since I'm still at school I don't know. I've been thinking about telling my best friends mum, who I talk to more than anyone else and who took me in when I was "suicidal". But I'm afraid of my parents been notified if I speak to a doctor. =( Thanks.

Laura
    xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
    SeptemberBride

SeptemberBride HB User
    Re: Can you know/think you have schizophrenia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by takeaguess18
    Okay. Going to try and organise the chaos in my brain into a question. For the last 4 months or so I keep hearing voices. I was on anti-depressants, and changed brands and the first time it happened I was between drugs so I thought it was withdrawal and ignored it. But it kept happening and now I hear them all the time. They tell me things like people are going to hurt me, are spying on me, things like that. I barely go out anymore, I'm hurting myself because they tell me to, in october they told me to cut my wrists so I did, and then they stopped and I freaked out and went to hospital and told them I was depressed because I was too scared to tell them "voices" told me to.

Also - my mum is schizophrenic. I know that puts me at an increased risk. But I'm so self-aware that I'm never entirely sure if I can be schizophrenic. I know the voices aren't real and I know what they're telling me is crap (even if I do do what they say a lot of the time to quiet them). I don't know what to do. If I go to the doctors can they admit me to hospital? I don't want that, I have classes (though I'm failing at the minute, 19 and in my 2nd yr at university). And can they tell my parents? I don't want that either, I don't get on with them, they're abusive and I moved away but since I'm still at school I don't know. I've been thinking about telling my best friends mum, who I talk to more than anyone else and who took me in when I was "suicidal". But I'm afraid of my parents been notified if I speak to a doctor. =( Thanks.

Laura
    xx
    Laura, my father has schizophrenia and says he hears voices just like the ones you describe. He thinks that people are talking badly about him, saying that they don't like him, etc. You're right in the peak age when symptoms begin to appear, and heredity factors do increase your risk. I don't know about the laws in your area, but irregardless, if you're acting on the voices' prompting, you need to seek medical attention. There are many medications that can help the symptoms, and perhaps having a professional who can help you cope with what's happening will help.

The sooner you can seek help and get some form of treatment, the better off you'll be. Seek someone you can trust, like your friend's mother, and discuss your concerns (and reasons for) confidentiality with the doctor.

I urge you to seek help, especially since the voices you're hearing seem to be able to influence your behavior. The disease is not something you can help, not something you "asked for," and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully with the right therapy, you (like my dad) will be able to lead a very normal life!

Old 02-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
    takeaguess18
    (female)

takeaguess18 HB User

Thanks. I spoke to a friend at the weekend about it, told her what was happening and she said she'd come to the doctors with me if I wanted, but insisted I had to go, because if I was wrong it'd give me peace of mind and if I was right I could be helped with medication. I guess she's right, nothing to lose. Just afraid my parents will find out, and where it's all going to go. I don't want to be admitted and I don't want to have to take time off my classes. Anyway thanks for your advice, going next week.

Laura
    xx

Old 02-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
    LBeethoven

LBeethoven HB User

Hello. My name is Sharon. Two days ago I found out that both of my bio. parents and one of my sisters has schizophrenia. In the past 5 or 6 months i've been heavily into religion. I've been only focusing on religion and the church. I believe that God or some divnnie spirit with God talks to me. I believe that I walk around with a light surronding me. Everytime I walk down the street something tells me that they're looking at me, staring at me, judging me, and when they laugh to themselves or wiht people they are all laughing at me. Most times my thoughts are scattered and though I write a lot it most times sounds a bit odd, but its only been sounding odd in past year. I'm not terribly good at explaning my emotions. I'm incredibly shy but Ithink its more than just being shy. I'm afraid to talk to people most times cause I'm afraid they will, and already are, judging me and when they appear to be nice to me they are only pretending to be nice and inside are thinking to themselves how I really am.

I want to go see a doctor but afraid to go. I'm afraid to go alone and to find out if I am or will be schizophrenic in any time of my life. I'm 21 now and heard that its between ages 16-25 when it appears. I'm afraid that if I am diagnosed as schizo that they will stick me in a insitution and i'll do anything to avoid that. I have to be with my husband and I cannot go into a hospital. My husband just jokes about it to get through it like he jokes about eveyrthign to get through everything. I want to be tested to know for sure but right now I'm very very scared. I talked to my mothers doctor who diagnosed her but he coudlnt tell me anythign for sure unless he saw me and hes in MD. I'm in NY so I 'd have to find a doctor here. Please help me and let me knwo what you think. Do you think there is a chance i'm schizophrenic or coudl develop it? DOn't worry about me being scared about your opinions i'm veyr open to them I'm just really nervous right now but I still need some ideal. THanks hope to hear from you all soon.

I hear the voices too but they tell me peopel are always judging me. they are telling me that everyone even some peole i do trust and complete strangers are trying to hurt me. ONly people i do trust and not think that will hurt me are people in my church. THey dotn tel me to hurt myself but tell me others are out ot hurt me. At first I didnt hear them but every now and then but now they're becfoming more and more and a bit louder each time. Most times they're like big whispers that our so loud that I have to turn the tv up to drown them out and to hear the tv. I'm like who started this post i'm really really aware of it though and peopel tell me that if i really was schizo then i' wouldnt know it. These voices are very real to me and even though in my self i know logically there isnt anyone around i still think they are real. but people say i'm talking to myself when i know i'm not caus ei can hear them so much. I'm 21 and my father, mother, and sister has schizophrenia. Well any opinions wil help me thank you.

Last edited by LBeethoven; 02-08-2004 at 06:10 PM.

Old 02-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
    Johny kid

Johny kid HB User

Hello, i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I think i'm schitzophranic, if you want to hear about it read my thread "hallusination stories" (and if you feel so inclined, feel free to post your stories if you have them) but i've been thinking about looking into seeing a doctor about it, i'm concerned it may develope to a point where i loose control of my brain and become suicidal, as much fun as that sounds. Anyways, my problem is that i'm sixteen, so i would need a gurdian with me if i went to the doctor and quite frankly there isn't anybody i can trust. I've been able to get a better understanding of whats going on inside my head from this website and i really apreciate that, but i think it might not hurt to get some balls and go see a doctor face to face, preferibly one i'll never ever see again.

All advice will be happily excepted

Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

If you are hearing voices you need to talk to your dr about this. It may or may not be sz. Only a dr will be able to tell. I was put in the hospital for a week until they got me on medicine and the voices went away. Then I have close followup with my pdoc. I see him regularly. He makes sure that the antidepressent and antiphycotic are doing there job. I think the reason I was hospitalized is because the voices where telling me to kill my family and to hurt myself. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Please talk to your dr now and get the help you need.

Closed Thread