It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• hearing voices.......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
    Lonely810810
    (female)

Lonely810810 HB User
    hearing voices.......

I hear voices at night when I am lying down.I talk back and forth with these voices in my mind.Almost like I am trying to reason with them.They only come when I do not take my meds.Like last night I spoke with a doctor.There were a couple of other people there but they didn't say much like the doctor did.My doctor said I had schizophrenia effective.I just started hearing voices.I was comitted to the hospital a few weeks ago.That didn't help me any.I felt as if no one there was on my level of depression.Most were there for substance abuse and bi polar.I have bipolar don't get me wrong but I swear my depression and problems were more intense than anyone else there.Anyone have these feelings or voices???????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
    nicolas

nicolas HB User
    Re: hearing voices.......

Since I began to take anti-psychotics regularly and since I completely discontinued the use of marijuana I no longer hear voices. I feel for you. I know how cruel and persistent the voices can be. Stay on your meds!

As far as the depression, we schizophrenics have the added component of negative symptoms, which steal a lot from us. However, comparing yourself isn't productive. I stay focused on my own goals and take it a day at a time. If I spent time speculating about where I would be if I didn't have mental illness I would despair. Everything changed when I got sick and I have to go slow and steady.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
    Shannonjean1

Shannonjean1 HB User

i use to hear voices. lucky for me i have an autority problem. don't noone tell me what to do, even voices. big struggle for alot of people. since i've been on meds, i will still hallucnate sometimes, especialy when a tragic accident happens or i am realy scard.
    shannonjean

Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 AM   #4
    Innervision730

Innervision730 HB User

my ex b/f was diagnosed with it too but i dont htink he believes it... one night when we were going out i stayed over and he wouldnt let me go into the woods cause there was "Demons" out there... kinda freaked me out weird stuff happens in this world... but he wrote a diarie of the conversations he has had with these demons and he said he actually hears them everywhere he goes, he said they are bad though...he hung himself because they told him too fortunatley his parents caught him just in time... he still goes through it... i dont know how these things work maybe it is a mental problem..maybe its not... the world works in mysterious ways... maybe your communicating with the outer world?? dont let it get to you though.. ive heard voices too but voices that no normal person can say it only happend once but it was so clear and no one was home... my b/f now heard it too it freaked us out... i kinda just forgot what your question was but i hope it helped a little...

Old 11-17-2004, 04:37 AM   #5
    christinejones

christinejones HB User

does anyone have any theories/suppositions as to what these voices are? or where they come from?
    is it generally accepted that they are just created by our own heads or is it more a 'channelling' that these voices genuinely exist in a separate realm (that healthy people cannot access) but can, from time to time, access brains that are stressed, schizophrenic or in psychosis?
    thanks cj

Old 11-21-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
    Mike in Dallas
    (male)

Mike in Dallas HB User

CJ

I read some research that voices bay be the result of the brain not being able to distinguish between one's own thoughts and what appears to be outside speaking (or voices). Most people know when they are thinking to themselves. Most people can even imagine or visualize someone telling them something. To persons hearing voices these inner thoughts do not appear to originate with themsellves, but are from outside sources. So, the distinction between outside and inside origination is blurred or not there. What removes the separation or distinction is the $64,000 question.

A very close friend of mine would hear voices, but they would go away during a hot shower. Eventually, he realized the voices were the result of the hair tonic he was using. That oil-based product was being absorbed through the scalp and entering the bloodstream and was affecting his brain. No hair tonic- no voices. He is also sensitive to certain chemicals found in certain automobiles. That new car smell may be more hazardous than not having seatbelts.

I wish more people would take responsiblity to be their own detective to figure out the cause and effect scenarios in their own life. People should not expect the "expert" to always know how to take care of their problems.

Mike

Old 11-22-2004, 04:00 AM   #7
    christinejones

christinejones HB User

thanks mike for the reply - really interesting about the hair tonic i guess it is all chemical somewhere!!! i was going through a particularly stressful situation and perhaps that influenced the chemicals that were being released into my brain.
    i talk to myself all the time (if i can put it that way) as i live alone and read a lot etc. i am often thinking things to myself and i recognise that as being completely normal.
    what felt very different was the voice i 'heard' - that woke me up as it were (much like the Eli story in the bible) and it definitely felt different and as if it were from 'outside' although there was no-one else in the room and even had there been i doubt very much they would have heard anything... but it wasn't MY usual voice and it was definitely that feeling of coming from outside --- it made me jump and almost look around to see who said that.... which i don't do at all when i am talking to myself and it was a few moments before i realised there was no-one there - that's what confused me and left me feeling pretty shaken... i'm glad i don't have to deal with this on a daily basis.
    all the best to ya
    cj

Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
    Mike in Dallas
    (male)

Mike in Dallas HB User

I'm glad CJ that the voice you heard is not reoccuring. I like that story of Samual and Eli in the Bible. I feel for Lonely8xxxx and the feelings and or voices she is experiencing. I think many people have those experiences, so it is not uncommon.

Before I would allow my doctor to try to treat the hearing of voices with meds I think I would take a careful look at my environment to make certain something else is not the culprit. Any drug can affect any organ in many different ways so its always best to be conservative since all the meds have certain side effects. If there has been emotional trauma in the past the subject matter of the voices can sometimes provide significant clues as to what the underlying problem might be. Voices to some people can also be a helpful distraction from having to think about some very unpleasant past experience. It can be the same for visual hallucinations which act as a mental distraction from some emotional trauma. In these cases it might be helpful to see a psychologist first before one sees a psychiatrist.

I would encourage Lonely not to be discouraged, but to realize a lot of people are going through the same thing, and boards like these can sometimes be a great help.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
    Humrz28
    (female)

Humrz28 HB User

I had a chemical reaction like the one Mike had described. I had taken Sudefed (its like a sinus/allergy medicine). I had taken 2 pills one night, I heard voices, I talked to walls, I repeated things over and over, rocking back and forth. I saw things all over (I was sexually abused a few years ago by my stepfather[from 8 to 16]), well, I saw his face in our AC vents, lol... its was insane and my mom totally freaked out!!! The next day I only took one pill and the exact same thing happend.. I felt terrible, I was scared to death and so was my mom. I didnt take any more of the pills, instead I took Benedryl. I have never had another experience like that since then, and that was about 5 years ago *I am 20 now*.

I am curious to what ingredients were in the Hair tonic, and also in the Sudefed... maybe they share ingredients, which cause this issue.

Hearing voices may not be completely a sickness, but may be a reaction to our everyday lives (food, medicine, hair products, etc)

Good Luck to You All!!!!

Closed Thread