It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Depersonalization...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
    jbdk
    (male)

jbdk HB User
    Question Depersonalization...

My main symptom is depersonalization/anxiety (DP). It has become worse during the years, and medicine hasn't worked much, except Clonazepam. The symptoms are worst in the evening between 6pm and 10pm.

Is there anyone out there who has got DP symptoms as part of schizofrenia? How is it for you? What do you do about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
    Warren_G
    Inactive
    (male)

Warren_G HB User
    Re: Depersonalization...

hey jbdk, i am a psychic, it seems to me that you have a problem perceiving the world as being real, your syptoms get worst when it is night time, also you have problems with sunlight, and fluorescent lights and sometimes your vision gets darker than usual, as if your eyes slightly closed with visual disturbances almost like flashes of light. My thoughts on your situation is it will fade in 3 months time.

- Lars Hug

Old 02-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
    jbdk
    (male)

jbdk HB User

Is that supposed to be funny?

Old 02-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
    shellbee
    (female)

shellbee HB User

I don't know what depersonalization means but I get horrible symptoms of paranoia and anxiety which usually happen in the evenings they last all night

Old 02-15-2005, 03:10 AM   #5
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbdk
    My main symptom is depersonalization/anxiety (DP). It has become worse during the years, and medicine hasn't worked much, except Clonazepam. The symptoms are worst in the evening between 6pm and 10pm.

Is there anyone out there who has got DP symptoms as part of schizofrenia? How is it for you? What do you do about it?

Hello

I have depersonalization too. Why don't you visit the panic disorder group on here. People also post about anxiety too. I, myself have panic attacks and I experience these symptoms you describe. I've also read that it has nothing to do with schizophrenia. Hope this helps some.

Chantel

Last edited by hanelo4; 02-16-2005 at 12:50 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
    jbdk
    (male)

jbdk HB User

Hello Chantel,

my psychiatrist has explained to me that depersonalization is a common part/symptom of schifofrenia, just like hearing and seeing things that are not there. Also, the DCP-10 (F48.1) states that,
    "Depersonalization-derealization symptoms may occur as part of a diagnosable schizophrenic, depressive, phobic, or obsessive-compulsive disorder. In such cases the diagnosis should be that of the main disorder."
    My original post was about DP: do you have it as part of your schizofrenic disorder, and what do you do about it? What are your experiences?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Hello Chantel,

my psychiatrist has explained to me that depersonalization is a common part/symptom of schifofrenia, just like hearing and seeing things that are not there. Also, the DCP-10 (F48.1) states that,
    "Depersonalization-derealization symptoms may occur as part of a diagnosable schizophrenic, depressive, phobic, or obsessive-compulsive disorder. In such cases the diagnosis should be that of the main disorder."
    My original post was about DP: do you have it as part of your schizofrenic disorder, and what do you do about it? What are your experiences?
    Hi again

I hope I didn't butt in or make you feel uncomfortable. When I read your post, it seemed to me that you had symptoms of panic or anxiety so that's why I posted back about the depersonalization. I do not suffer from schizophrenia, but I do have depersonalization and it is caused by my panic/anxiety. Here are just a few symptoms of panic attacks:

More Common Symptoms of panic attacks

1. Fast heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations
    2. Sweating
    3. Shaking visibly or inside
    4. Choking sensations or lump in throat
    5. Smothering or shortness of breath sensations
    6. Chest pain or discomfort
    7. Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort
    8. Dizziness or unsteadiness
    9. Feeling light-headed
    10. Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)
    11. Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)
    12. Fear of losing control or going crazy
    13. Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body
    14. Chills or hot flushes
    15. Skin losing colour
    16. Blushing or skin blotches
    17. Urgently needing to urinate or defecate

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say a little. To answer your question on how I deal with it.....I take medication for it. Most of these symptoms listed above...I have, so I had to get on medication to control it and feel more like myself again. I would get the shakes so bad that my whole body would feel out of control. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic too much. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon

Chantel

Last edited by hanelo4; 02-16-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
    Sharpie7
    Inactive
    (male)

Sharpie7 HB User

Hey Chantl2003,

I have a lot of the symtoms you listed.
    What kind of meds are you taking for them?
    Brian

Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharpie7
    Hey Chantl2003,

I have a lot of the symtoms you listed.
    What kind of meds are you taking for them?
    Brian

Hi

I am currently on Lexapro 10mg and I take Klonopin as needed. If I have a really bad attack, the Klonopin helps to stop it fast.

Chantel

Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
    jbdk
    (male)

jbdk HB User
    Smile Re: Depersonalization...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003
    Hi

I am currently on Lexapro 10mg and I take Klonopin as needed. If I have a really bad attack, the Klonopin helps to stop it fast.

Chantel
    I also take Klonopin (Clonazepam) as needed. It helps after 15min-1hour, depends...

I also take 20mg Abilify, but that does not seem to help on depersonalization/derealization.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    I also take Klonopin (Clonazepam) as needed. It helps after 15min-1hour, depends...

I also take 20mg Abilify, but that does not seem to help on depersonalization/derealization.

Hi again When I start feeling the depersonalization/derealization feelings, I find that the klonopin helps with that. Have you ever tried to stick it under your tongue and let it melt? It works a lot faster that way.

Hey, why don't we go over to the panic/anxiety board and post? I don't want to keep going off topic here

Chantel

Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
    Bob A
    Inactive
    (male)

Bob A HB User

I have much the same symptoms. I am on Lexapro / Xanax / and Zyprexa.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #13
    mikeisfriendly
    (male)

mikeisfriendly HB User

Have you tried drinking alcohol? I mean, seriously, if you're gonna take all those expensive medicines, that are supposed to just basicly make you feel better, why not just drink some wine or beer? It's alot cheaper, works alot better, makes you alot more 'personal', you feel more like a person.
    I'm sure the tens of millions of people in bars would be nuts too, if they didn't get drunk a couple times a week.

As Benjamin Franklin said, 'Beer is the ultlmate proof that God exists and cares about us"

Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
    Warren_G
    Inactive
    (male)

Warren_G HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeisfriendly
    Have you tried drinking alcohol? I mean, seriously, if you're gonna take all those expensive medicines, that are supposed to just basicly make you feel better, why not just drink some wine or beer? It's alot cheaper, works alot better, makes you alot more 'personal', you feel more like a person.
    I'm sure the tens of millions of people in bars would be nuts too, if they didn't get drunk a couple times a week.

As Benjamin Franklin said, 'Beer is the ultlmate proof that God exists and cares about us"
    It may help at first but alcohol releases gaba in the brain which in return releases anxiety and anxiety is this disorders worst enemy

Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
    Arraicha
    Veteran
    (female)

Arraicha HB User

Not to mention that auto-medication (meaning the use of alcohol and illegal drugs) is extremely risky as an overdose can mean death. Also, while both alcohol and anti-anxiety medication are extremely addictive, at least the medicine is controled by a professional. Plus anti-anxiety medicine is actually cheaper than alcohol and you can get your insurrance to pay for most of it.

Closed Thread