It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• This is a gift and a curse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
    housemusiclover
    (male)

housemusiclover HB User
    This is a gift and a curse

I would say that we all have a god-given gift, despite the fact that it is extreemly painful. Many of historys greatest, talented, and creative people where considered manic or schitzaphrenic(or however you spell it). They just didn't have the word for it then. Beetoven would take long walks late at night because his thoughts and ideas for new songs were moving so quikly that he would have to phisically try to catch up with them. I know Albert Einstein had one of these disorders, at least mildly, and he created three of the most groundbreaking theorys our century has seen. I just came on this site a couple days ago and I'm mesmorized by how intelligent many of you seem. Normal people will never understand the depths of our intelligence; well, maybe one day. They call us delusional and things like that, which unfortunatly is true sometimes. Some people just don't understand. Never let anyone call you crazy. Here's an analogy, maybe you all have heard it; the black sea is the "black sea" because it has an inlet, and no outlet. So, it's like, how are you going to take these thoughts, voices, emotions and turn them into something that will be marveled upon years after your dead. Some of us will just get "stable," which would be just lovely, but I bet some of us will turn this thing inside us into something amazing. Or, maybe just getting stable is an amazing thing lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 04:17 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: This is a gift and a curse

Very good post. I liked it

Mudhound

Old 03-02-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

There's a fine line between genuis and insanity, indeed.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
    jbdk
    (male)

jbdk HB User

I'd rather be normal, sane and ordinary than having this f*** mental illness

Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
    ScottyB85
    (male)

ScottyB85 HB User

How do you know the difference between insanity and genius??

And isn't this feeling better than every1 a symptom?!! or just me ?

btw play along with the idiots it's the best way trust me :>

Old 03-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Jesus Christ, does anyone truely believe that schizophrenia (in the vast majority of cases) has anything whatsoever to do with genius? Although (historically) there is a close relationship between genius and madness, can anyone honestly say that, since developing schizophrenia, their intellectual powers have been honed, that they have developed a greater insight into things? This is a wretched and cruel mental illness, plain and simple. And it really annoys me when people say that there's something positive that can be found in mental illness. There isn't. Everything about this illness is unrelentingly and irretrievably negative. Everyone with schizophrenia would like nothing more than to be 'normal' again, to have their 'old' self back. Instead, I, for one -- a lot of the time at least -- feel like a burlesque, a grotesque parody of my former self.

Schizophrenia -- a genius or a curse? The answer's so obvious, the question's not even worth asking.

Last edited by dave_81; 03-31-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
    MTS
    (male)

MTS HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave_81
    Jesus Christ, does anyone truely believe that schizophrenia (in the vast majority of cases) has anything whatsoever to do with genius? Although (historically) there is a close relationship between genius and madness, can anyone honestly say that, since developing schizophrenia, their intellectual powers have been honed, that they have developed a greater insight into things? This is a wretched and cruel mental illness, plain and simple. And it really annoys me when people say that there's something positive that can be found in mental illness. There isn't. Everything about this illness is unrelentingly and irretrievably negative. Everyone with schizophrenia would like nothing more than to be 'normal' again, to have their 'old' self back. Instead, I, for one -- a lot of the time at least -- feel like a burlesque, a grotesque parody of my former self.

Schizophrenia -- a genius or a curse? The answer's so obvious, the question's not even worth asking.
    Quite true.
    Allthough there is a real link between bipolar disorder (manic depression) and genius, the sad truth is that this is not the case in Schizophrenia.

The only link ever observed between Schizophrenia and genius, is blood. Einstein's son was Schizophrenic, for example.

Think of Schizophrenia as a neurodegenerative disease, affecting those parts in our brain that make us human. Many Schizophrenics may also feel they were blessed with newly aquired artistic skills, but upon closer inspection, the art is realy not very impressive.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
    janswife
    (female)

janswife HB User

housemusiclover,
    Well put!
    I often wonder why the family and, the friends have weathered my storms.
    You spoke for us so well!
    Kudos to you!
    Cynthia

Old 04-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
    ScottyB85
    (male)

ScottyB85 HB User

So your saying everything that you realise and learn is incorrect because your brain doesnt work properly. You know little hobbies like art are what people hang on to. You can take your middle class views and shove them up your arse. If theres any space left after your head that is.

Last edited by ScottyB85; 04-01-2005 at 05:17 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
    nicolas

nicolas HB User

peace my friends!

As to the topic, schizophrenics may not have high IQs by nature and certainly we have basic cognitive difficulties but I think the schizophrenics I have met are people with a spiritual quality who might have been shamans in other cultures and while the art of schizophrenics may not be technically advanced it often has a 'magic' power.

Incidentally, I think the whole modern western concept of genius is kind of suspect ... Newton or Einstein are on another level than most, for sure. But I prefer the Greek understanding of genius as a spiritually gift that visits a person.

Last edited by nicolas; 04-01-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
    nicolas

nicolas HB User

I've been thinking more about this question. I agree that romanticizing schizophrenia is not helpful but the fact is that when not in psychosis my schizophrenic friends are all very empathetic, very kind people.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

I completly agree with you.I was actually going to post something similar to what you are saying here.
    Even though Schizophrenia has disabled me from functioning like a "normal" person, I still see it as a gift. It's painful,but at the same time...it's amazing.
    it seems that the most respected people, books, movies, were about out of the ordinary types of people: about people who were odd,weird,or crazy. Yet in the real world,people snear, and cringe and stay away from those of us who are weird, or "crazy" I dont understand it at all.
    People call me delusional. Tell me that the beliefs and hallucinations are all in my head. I think they are real. I believe that the world is at more of a crisis then most people really know. That the government is spying/following me, poisoning our food and water to control us and program our brains. I see the truth. everyone else is just oblivious.
    It always seems that people with mental "illnesses" are more intelligent, mature, and caring. Maybe because we have been through so much and been so hurt by other people, or maybe because we are naturally this way...

-becka

Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #13
    beetol
    (male)

beetol HB User

I agree to a certain extent with what the first poster was saying. I've suffered from mild mental health disorder and whilst you feel dreadful and despairing, at the same time you have this twisted sense of enlightment and marvel at your own thoughts. In each of our own ways, we are at disparity with the world because we realise some inexplicable truth; we see the true absurdity of reality. Some people can indeed transform this into a positive, creative thought process and produce something amazing, but more often that not it is incredibly difficult to try to get past your own inadequacy and apathy.

However, I think it would be quite naive and arrogant to assume that only "intelligent" people and "thinkers" become mentally ill. Surely housewives, menial workers and other persons of 'lower intelligence' entertain contemplative thoughts questioning the reasons for their existance, or even just finding themselves enjoying nothing in the world?

Thats just my opinion. My friend who is very ill but stable is lovely, fantastic and very thoughtful; however he does come across very conceited and sometimes feels as if his illness (which can make him dysfunctional and difficult) is akin to a divine gift. To a stranger, he would seem dead arrogant.

Well....there we go.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #14
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue102
    There's a fine line between genuis and insanity, indeed.
    yet, there are many genuises who have suffered from insanity/mental illness. I don't think she/he (housemusiclover) was saying that genuis and insanity are the same things, or always come together, because of coarse they dont. But there are similarities and many cases of very mature, intelligent people who also have severe mental illness, like schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, etc. People with these mental illnesses often become very artistic, mature and insightful...maybe because they have been through so much and seen so much. Intelligent people and geniuses are not necissarily mentally ill, but they do show similar traits that result from mental illness, such as artistic abilities, maturaty and insight.

I agree with what she/he was saying. It seems most "averagel" people i have met who havn't been through something like this, are not often very insightful or mature. It seems like mental illness causes us to think deeply about life and learn a lot, and mature, etc. And of course this isn't always the case either. There are plenty of those who have been severly mentally ill and remain immature and unintelligent

-becka

Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave_81

..and it really annoys me--people who act as if they think they know what this illness is like for everyone else and that it effects everyone the same.
    .. you should really speak for yourself and try to remember that while schizophrenia is USUALLY aweful in many ways for everyone with it, it is different for everyone and has different effects on everyone's life.

I have been having symptoms of schizophrenia since i was 3 years old...maybe younger, but i dont remember anything before age three. My life has always been "crazy" because of schizophrenia, and while this has caused me a lot of problems and held me back, I am also use to these symptoms and it is the only way i have ever known myself to be. For me, being schizophrenic is, in a sense,normal..and my way of coping with this horrible world.

Say if i had gone through life being completly normal with none of these symptoms, and suddenly..say when i turned 20, i was tormented by hallucinations and delusions and negative symptoms and thought problems-- Now, that would be aweful and i can imagine why it is so hard for the people who have had it this way: Going through life normally and functioning well, and then suddenly becomming schizophrenic, this would probably be horrible. I can't imagine. But i can understand why anyone in this situation would hate every aspect of the illness and try every medication or other method of treatment to make themselves normal again.

and yes, i can definatly say that because of this illness and the depression i have suffered, i have developed much greater insight.Ever since i turned 16 and my symptoms worsened and i became very depressed and was in an out of the hospitals, i think i have definatly matured much more than the average teen. This "illness" caused me to realize that such stupid little things are not important: like fitting in and looking cool, being the most popular person at school, wearing the coolest clothes, etc. I have also become more confident in many aspects because of my struggles.

I'm not saying that none of this hasn't been hard and scary and debilitating, because it has, but i also see that there are positives (at least, for me) of being insane.

imagine if you were normal and someone told you that you would be schizophrenic tomorrow for the rest of your life? (maybe this is how it happened for you) anyway, this would probably be aweful and scary, right? because you have always been use to being "normal"
    ....now TRY to imagine that you have been schizophrenic all your life. It is the only way you have ever known yourself to be. For you, it IS normal because you are so use to it and dont know how it is to be any other way. Your hallucinations and delusions have become something of friends and family to you. Now imagine that someone told you that tomorrow, you would no longer have schizophrenia.....believe it or not, but this would also be very frightening...at least that's how it is for me and this is why i've had so much trouble being on meds: because they take away most of my symptoms and make me feel "normal" and being normal is something i dont know anything about and i dont know how to handle it. I dont know how else to cope with this world without my symptoms.

-becka

Closed Thread