HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Schizophrenia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/)
-   -   PLEASE READ? Looking for "typical" symptoms of schizophrenia... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/259608-please-read-looking-typical-symptoms-schizophrenia.html)

ophelia_nights 03-05-2005 02:52 PM

PLEASE READ? Looking for "typical" symptoms of schizophrenia...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hi,

I wonder if any of you can help me.

I know this website is aimed at people with Schizophrenia, but maybe some people who have been diagnosed with psychotic depression are here also.

Please, I am interested in any stories or examples from people about either their Schizophrenia symptoms or their psychotic depression symptoms. I'm looking to find examples of the "types" of delusions/hallucinations typical to each of these disorders. I can't find anywhere on the net that really gives any good examples!! (please post if you know anywhere).

Is there even a diagnostic criteria for psychotic depression, other than "major depression"?

How would a psychiatrist go about distinguishing between the two disorders, does anyone know? It must be very difficult.

I mean, if someone presents to you depressed and psychotic, they could either have schizophrenia and be depressed because of the thoughts and confusion they are having OR they could be depressed, and so depressed that they've gone psychotic.

So how does a pdoc differentiate? Are there any "things to look out for" for either of the illnesses? Is there anything that makes them think "aha, we are talking about schizophrenia!" or maybe the other way, "aha, this is clearly psychotic depression"??

I know that generally, psychotic depression involves mood-congruent delusions (ie: death, guilt, disease, responsibility for some awful disaster), but what about if you have all that but then you have ONE totally mood-incongruent delusion, like, "my mum is trying to kill me". Does it stay as psychotic depression because the majority of delusions are mood-congruent? Or does one mood-incongruent delusion mean it's probably schizophrenia?

Anyway I'd be very interested to read about your experiences!! Thanks a lot to anyone that can help!!

Lots of love, Kate xxxxx[/FONT]

kangaroo222 05-11-2005 12:27 PM

Re: PLEASE READ? Looking for "typical" symptoms of schizophrenia...

My best advice on where to find the criteria for psychotic illnesses is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 4. I can't imagine the library that does not have the DSM-IV, and it is a very well made reference for all mental illnesses from nicotine addiction to schizophrenia. It's well organized and easy to use. It should answer a lot of the questions you have plus some you may not have come up with yet. Happy reading!

dave_81 05-11-2005 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=ophelia_nights][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hi,

I wonder if any of you can help me.

I know this website is aimed at people with Schizophrenia, but maybe some people who have been diagnosed with psychotic depression are here also.

Please, I am interested in any stories or examples from people about either their Schizophrenia symptoms or their psychotic depression symptoms. I'm looking to find examples of the "types" of delusions/hallucinations typical to each of these disorders. I can't find anywhere on the net that really gives any good examples!! (please post if you know anywhere).

Is there even a diagnostic criteria for psychotic depression, other than "major depression"?

How would a psychiatrist go about distinguishing between the two disorders, does anyone know? It must be very difficult.

I mean, if someone presents to you depressed and psychotic, they could either have schizophrenia and be depressed because of the thoughts and confusion they are having OR they could be depressed, and so depressed that they've gone psychotic.

So how does a pdoc differentiate? Are there any "things to look out for" for either of the illnesses? Is there anything that makes them think "aha, we are talking about schizophrenia!" or maybe the other way, "aha, this is clearly psychotic depression"??

I know that generally, psychotic depression involves mood-congruent delusions (ie: death, guilt, disease, responsibility for some awful disaster), but what about if you have all that but then you have ONE totally mood-incongruent delusion, like, "my mum is trying to kill me". Does it stay as psychotic depression because the majority of delusions are mood-congruent? Or does one mood-incongruent delusion mean it's probably schizophrenia?

Anyway I'd be very interested to read about your experiences!! Thanks a lot to anyone that can help!!

Lots of love, Kate xxxxx[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Hi Kate --

I've been asking myself the same sorts of questions, as I'm currently in the unenviable position of not knowing whether I have psychotic depression (or something like that) or schizophrenia. I'm seeing a p-doc but he hasn't given me a diagnosis yet. I'm suffering from depression and auditory hallucinations. The auditory hallucinations don't have much content, just whispering and sometimes I hear my name being called -- so I guess that makes me at least a little bit psychotic!! I feel extremely guilty and have morbid (sometimes suicidal--although I wouldn't commit suicide) thoughts; I guess you'd call those things mood-congruent. I'm not paranoid or delusional in the least -- i.e. nothing mood-incongruent. My p-doc told me that what I'm suffering from doesn't sound like schizophrenia (even though I'm suffering from auditory hallucinations), so I guess I must have psychotic depression/bipolar -- something like that. Although I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure how you tell the two apart, either. I'd like to know though -- It'd put my mind at rest a bit.

Best,

Dave_81

yfguitarist 05-11-2005 05:32 PM

I also haven't been diagnosed with anything - I've yet to see a doctor or even tell my parents. As far as hallucinations go, I've heard voices talking in my head and people calling my name, and I see flashes of light. I'm also very irritable at times over tiny things that make me so furious I can hardly breathe. I think so much that my mind feels like it's gonna burst. I'm nervous almost nonstop and I have homicidal thoughts.