It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Will i get it too??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
    NeyaJones

NeyaJones HB User
    Question Will i get it too??

My mothers father had schizophrenia and he passed away from a tumor when she was a child. I am 20 years old. My mom shows no signs of it but is it possible that me or any of my siblings can, and if so does it mean that its possible for my kids to have it as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User
    Re: Will i get it too??

I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, you're wasting your time.

The traditional likelihood of anyone developing schizophrenia is 1%. Considering that your mother didn't have it, unless it's a rare occasion on which a recessive gene has passed through her, your chances aren't much more than that. Bear in mind also that the 1% figure is likely exaggerated, due to the fact that even 10 or 20 years ago many people were misdiagnosed. Add into the mix the fact that you're 20 and haven't got it so far (it usually manifests in late teens) and the result is that it's very unlikely that you will get it, and that you had a relative with it makes little difference.

Of course, you can't predict the future and nor can I. But the odds of you developing it are so low that you should really try to put it off your mind. If you worry about it excessively (as did I) you can end up being incredibly anxious over nothing.

So don't worry.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

did he have a tumor in his brain? if so, he may not have had schizophrenia. Brain tumors can cause symptoms that look very much like schizophrenia.

If he did have schizophrenia, there is a slightly higher risk for you developing it then the average person, still i wouldn't worry too much. Everyone has a 1% chance of developing schizophrenia. and you probably have about a 3 or 4% risk if your grandfather had it. My grandmother and my aunt both had schizophrenia. everyone told my mom not to worry about me getting schizophrenia, because since it was not passed down to her, it would unlikely be passed to me. WELL! THEY WERE WRONG! lol. I've actually been having symptoms of schizophrenia my whole life (started hearing voices and seeing things when i was 3) but i never told anyone until about two years ago when the illness progressed.

anyway, keep an eye out for early symptoms, like paranoia/suspiciousions, thought problems, hearing voices, seeing things, etc. but again, dont worry about it too much, your chances of getting it are still very low.

to keep your risks of schizophrenia as low as possible, dont ever do any stree drugs, even marijuana. There have been some studies to suggest that even pot might cause schizophrenia, and if you have schizophrenia and it is lying dorment, doing any kinds of drugs will usually trigger it/set it off and make it much worse.

-Becka

Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

[QUOTE=Bin_man]I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, you're wasting your time.

i'd have to kind've disagree. I do agree that he/she doesnt need to worry about it too much, but everyone told me and my mom that i didn't need to worry about getting schizophrenia because even though my aunt and my grandmother had it, if it didn't pass on to my mom, then i didn't need to worry.
    Well, i have it! and it actually turns out that i've been living with it my whole life and didn't even know it until about two years ago. (i started hearing voices and seeing things and having altered sense of self at the age of 3.)

>> Add into the mix the fact that you're 20 and haven't got it so far (it usually manifests in late teens) and the result is that it's very unlikely that you will get it, and that you had a relative with it makes little difference.

actually, schizophrenia is said to usually start it's coarse between the ages of 15-25 yrs old in males and 20-30 yrs old in females. Of coarse it can develop even earlier or later then this, but it is rare. My schiz started when i was 3 (maybe younger, but i dont remember anything before that age)

>>Of course, you can't predict the future and nor can I. But the odds of you developing it are so low that you should really try to put it off your mind. If you worry about it excessively (as did I) you can end up being incredibly anxious over nothing. <<

true, true.

-becka

Old 04-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
    QuietlyConfused
    (female)

QuietlyConfused HB User

Can living with a diagnosed but unmedicated Schizophrenic damage the child? Would being brought up completly meshed in the parents dilusions cause harm to the childs mind as well?

Closed Thread