It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• VERY confused about schizoaffective disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User
    Angry VERY confused about schizoaffective disorder

hi-

it seems the more i read about what schizoaffective disorder is and how it is diagnosed, the more confused i get. I've heard that schizoaffective is someone with symptoms of schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder, then i've read that it can be symptoms of schizophrenia and depression (unipolar) OR manic-depression (bipolar) I have this book called "Surviving Schizophrenia" by E. Fuller Torrey and here is the description it has of schizoaffective disorder:

"Schizoaffective disorder is defined as the occurance of symptoms of a major depression or mania concurrent with the symptoms of schizophrenia, but there must be at least a two-week period in which the symptoms of schizophrenia have been present without the depression or mania."

I was evaluated by a very good,highly recommended psychiatrist about one year ago, and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I just got out of the hospital last week, and the doctor there diagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder: depressed type. he said "you wouldn't be schizophrenic, becuase schizophrenics don't get depressed" This seems completly untrue to me. Most schizophrenics get depressed at some point, right? in fact, everything i read about schizophrenia, it always says that depressio, fear, and irritability, can be some of the first signs. If schizophrenics can get depressed, how is this any different from schizoaffective: depressed type.????
    Would someone with schizoaffective disorder have started out with depression, with no sz symptoms,and then the schiz symptoms developed? I have had one major depressive episode2 years ago when i was 16 in which i was suicidal and self mutilating and in and out of the hospitals and outpatient therapy. It lasted for about a year (the depression). After getting on antidepressants, i no longer have problems with my mood. My schiz symptoms started when iwas about 3 years old. i've been having these schiz symptoms all my life, with no problems with major depression until i was 16. I also have severe panic attacks that started when i was about 9. This was because of extream fear and paranoia that started developing, it wasn't like the panic attacks popped up out of nowhere for no reason.
    Also, these days, i do not have probems with depression and i have never had a manic episode. For the last 8 or 9 months or so, my moods are usually extreamly flat: i dont feel sad, happy, or angry except on occasions, when something provokes me, even then, i usually dont feel anything, for example, my boyfriendd was talking about how sad he was and that he wanted to kill himself and i felt no emotions: not sad or worried or anything.... it's like i feel almost nothing. I also have a very flat affect and i often have the wrong emotion: i'll laugh in a sad or stressful situation.

sorry this thread has gotten so long. Im just so confused. I really want to know if i have schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia. thanks for any info you have

-Becka

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User
    Re: VERY confused about schizoaffective disorder

one thing i forgot to mention--

one doctor in the hospital told me that Schizoaffective: depressed type, simply means that you have more depressive episodes and not so many manic episodes, but that there must have been at least one manic episode in order for it to be classified as Schizoaffective disorder. She said that schizoaffective:bipolar type, only means that they have more manic episodes then depressive ones.
    any thoughts on this??...im so confused.

-becka

Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    Re: VERY confused about schizoaffective disorder

Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfreality71
    I just got out of the hospital last week, and the doctor there diagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder: depressed type. he said "you wouldn't be schizophrenic, becuase schizophrenics don't get depressed" This seems completly untrue to me.

-Becka
    I don't really know anything about schizo-affective disorder, but all that I've read about (and maybe experienced -- I'm still awaiting the psychiatrist's definitive diagnosis) schizophrenia indicates -- and no doubt others (who know a lot more than I do) will confirm this -- that people suffering from schizophrenia (can) get depressed -- severely so. I know I am!

Last edited by dave_81; 04-05-2005 at 08:20 PM.

Closed Thread