It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• coming to terms with schizophrenia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    coming to terms with schizophrenia

Hi everyone:

Although I haven't actually been diagnosed with schizophrenia yet, I have been seeing a psychiatrist/ suffering from some of the characteristic symptoms if this illness: voices, altered sense of self (the best way I can describe this -- easily my worst symptom -- is to say that it's as if there's no longer an inner nucleus which is me), depression etc. I haven't told my parents about any of this -- not even that I'm seeing a psychiatrist (how do you break it to your parents that you've started hearing voices? I don't think mine would know what the hell to do; I definitely don't think they'd immediately be sympathetic and understanding, as I'd soooo like them to be. Whenever I've told them in the past that I'm feeling depressed they've just said something like, 'Oh, don't be silly -- what have you got to be depressed about?' And I can just imagine what my mum would say if I told her that I feel as though I've lost my sense of self -- 'Don't be so silly. Of course you haven't!') -- so I'm basically dealing with all of this completely on my own at the moment.

Anyway, I wanted to ask people how they (that is, if they have) managed to come to terms with being diagnosed with schizophrenia. I've been trying to prepare myself -- because I seriously think that that's what I might have -- for the day when the psychiatrist tells me, definitively, that I'm schizophrenic -- but I just can't get my head round it at all. I seriously don't know if I'd be able to cope/live with this illness. How would my family react? How would my friends react? What would the future hold for me? Would it mean that I have to abandon, not only my hopes and dreams, but my plans, too?

But many people on this discussion board seem to be coping (I think) -- as well as being very brave and understanding --so living with this illness, although incredibly tough, must be possible. This, at least, heartens me.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 04-07-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
    SKYLYNN

SKYLYNN HB User
    Re: coming to terms with schizophrenia

hi dave...i was wondering how old you are.
    this illness hit my son at 19 and it blew us away.
    my son as well was very depressed and moody.but i never thought it would be like this.i am very grateful you are seeing someone.don't be afraid.and if you do have this illness try your best to educate yourself about it.have you been told that you might have bipolor..my son has both..but good luck and you try to hang in there..

Old 04-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SKYLYNN
    hi dave...i was wondering how old you are.
    this illness hit my son at 19 and it blew us away.
    my son as well was very depressed and moody.but i never thought it would be like this.i am very grateful you are seeing someone.don't be afraid.and if you do have this illness try your best to educate yourself about it.have you been told that you might have bipolor..my son has both..but good luck and you try to hang in there..
    Hi Skylynn --

Thanks a lot for the reply, I sincerely appreciate it. I'm trying not to be afraid -- but it's extremely difficult not to be. I tell a lie -- I'm terrified.

At 23, I'm not much older than your son -- although I'm pretty sure that I've been suffering from this wretched illness (mostly negative symptoms) since the age of 15, and only now does the condition seem to be expressing itself fully. I'm very sorry to hear about your son. How is he doing now? You say he has bi-polar and schizophrenia. Does that mean he has schizo-affective disorder?

My psychiatrist hasn't made a definitive diagnosis yet -- but I'm pretty sure it's schizophrenia: after all, I'm suffering from what they call 'diminshed self-affection', auditory hallucinations, and severe depression; but I'm not paranoid or delusional in the least --I went to the doctors of my own volition because I knew something was seriously wrong with me. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take them to diagnose your son? Because I've been seeing my psychiatrist for 6 weeks now and we seem to be getting nowhere fast. Am I just being impatient? Also, what exactly is schizo-affective disorder (if that's what your son has)? Does it mean that his schizophrenia isn't as severe as someone who has just schizophrenia? Or does it just mean that he has both schizophrenia and manic depression? Also, is there a "depressive" type of schizo-affective disorder? I read somewhere that, for a diagnosis of schizo-affective disorder to be made, schizophrenic symptoms have to be present for a period of at least two weeks during which depessive/manic symptoms aren't present (but I could have got that completely wrong). Because I can remember a time when I wasn't depressed but still suffering schizophrenia-like symptoms -- but mostly I am very depressed. So I was wondering if I could possibly have the "depressive " (as opposed to the "manic") type of schizo-affective disorder (if there is such a thing) -- because I'm not suffering from two of the classic symptoms -- i.e. delusions and paranoia -- of schizophrenia at all (although I'm aware that there is more than one type of schizophrenia.)

Sorry about all the questions; it's just that I'm desperate to find out more about these illnesses. Websites about schizophrenia/depression only seem to give very general accounts of things, and academic articles are not pitched at the non-expert (like me).

Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply -- it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I wish you and your son all the best in dealing with his illness. I'd really like to know how he's doing.

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 04-10-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
    pangea250
    (female)

pangea250 HB User

hey there!

I haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia, my doctor thought I might have physchosis related to depression but I never persued the matter:P I feel better now..

Anyways, I think it's important to remember that you are you, not schizophrenia or what have you; and from you're posts you sound so nice ^_^

A lot of people don't understand depression - it's a real shame imo. It's not the same as being "sad all the time". Physchology should be tought in high schools as part of the health program (that's mandatory here in Canada).

Anyways, good luck^_^
    Nice meeting you!

Old 04-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately here in England (UK) psychology isn't mandatory. But you're absolutely right, I'm not (no one is) just a schizophrenic/depressive, but rather a human being suffering from a mental illness -- schizophrenia or depression (or whatever label the shrink eventually comes up with). Although mental illnesses do seem (in the eyes of (some of) those who mercifully don't suffer from them) to divest you of some of your humanity, as evidenced by the language people use to talk about the mentally ill. For example, many people would refer to someone suffering from schizophrenia as a "schizophrenic"; but no one would refer to someone suffering from cancer as "a cancer" -- the former person is identified in terms of their illness; the latter is identified (first and foremost) as a human being, one that just happens to be suffering from cancer.

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 04-11-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
    anglrses
    (female)

anglrses HB User

I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic for a year now and i've totally come to terms with it because I don't have the symptoms anymore. I found the right medication and it has only the side effect of making me mentally and physically tired..but hey coffee is my cure to that. Only a little bit of course. It's sometimes harder for others to come to terms with. People make it out to be incurable, but well...I consider myself cured. So don't feel helpless. You should seek a good doctor and get recommended stuff to research and then possibly consider a medicine, but really only do that if you really really have a problem. If you are over worried then you might get into taking meds that have bad side effects on you and you dont need them. Good luck!

Closed Thread