It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• negative symptoms -- diminished self-affection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    negative symptoms -- diminished self-affection

Hello everyone:

I've read a lot on this board about the positive symptoms of schizophrenia (hallucinations, voices, delusions, paranoia), but not so much about the negative symptoms. I suffer from the negative symptom know as 'diminished self-affection' -- that feeling that you've lost your sense of self; the feeling that there is no longer an inner nucleus which is 'you'. According to some of the articles I've read on schizophrenia, this is one of the main symptoms of schizophrenia -- but I've never spoken to anyone else who experiences it. I'm interested to know if anyone else suffers from diminished self-affection, the feeling that you've lost your sense of self.

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 05-17-2005 at 07:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
    yfguitarist
    (male)

yfguitarist HB User
    Re: negative symptoms -- diminished self-affection

Hey Dave,
    I think I understand what you mean. For a period of time that was really strange I just felt out of place. I would look in the mirror and think it was someone else, not me. I would look in my eyes and think no one was alive in there. I also didn't care about anything or anyone. I felt like nothing mattered.

-Andrew

Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
    nicolas

nicolas HB User

Hello,

Yes, I have much trouble with negative symptoms. I think most people diagnosed with schizophrenia, once they get stabalized on meds (for those lucky enough to respond to meds), then find the most difficulty with the negative symptoms.

I don't know what to tell you. I would be happy to comment further if you have any questions, but I myself am struggling with this. I am (or was) an intellegent person but I now have almost no ambition, am easily exhausted, and can spend hours in a daze.

I think the key is to stay busy: take walks, read, talk to friends, listen to music, watch good movies, go to public places, pray if you are someone who prays, paint or draw, play guitar, garden ... any of these are good. Even if you don't feel like it do this things. In time you will begin to rediscover the life that is inside you.

take care.

Last edited by nicolas; 05-18-2005 at 02:05 AM.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolas
    Hello,

Yes, I have much trouble with negative symptoms. I think most people diagnosed with schizophrenia, once they get stabalized on meds (for those lucky enough to respond to meds), then find the most difficulty with the negative symptoms.

I don't know what to tell you. I would be happy to comment further if you have any questions, but I myself am struggling with this. I am (or was) an intellegent person but I now have almost no ambition, am easily exhausted, and can spend hours in a daze.

I think the key is to stay busy: take walks, read, talk to friends, listen to music, watch good movies, go to public places, pray if you are someone who prays, paint or draw, play guitar, garden ... any of these are good. Even if you don't feel like it do this things. In time you will begin to rediscover the life that is inside you.

take care.
    Thanks for the reply Nicolas. I was wondering, do you also suffer from the specific symptom that I was describing above (diminished self-affection)? Thankfully I don't really suffer from any other negative symptoms too badly, just (and this is the best way I can describe it) this lost sense of self; this awful sense that I'm not as substantial and unified (although there is a 'me' of sorts) as I used to be. In short, it's a disturbance in my awareness of myself. I've read quite a bit on this board about people's experiences of hyperreflexivity (identifiying yuorself with other objects, etc.); but nothing about diminished self-affection, this alteration in one's self-perception. I was just wondering if you suffered from this? Or if you just knew anything about it?

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. Hope things are okay with you.

Best,

Dave_81

P.S. The bit you wrote about rediscovering the life that's inside you really resonated with me. Although I'm not the person I used to be (specifically: not the 'self' I used to be -- as you can tell from what I've been writing!), I feel that something can be salvaged from all of this, and that I just need to keep going. The problem is, this lack of a sense of self really does make things exceedingly difficult; it's almost as if there is no 'me' to make progress with, if that makes any sense. It's almost as if I'm missing something that's a necessary condition of viewing yourself as a self; and, as a result, I can never make probress with anything -- because there is no self (no 'me') that can make the progess. I no longer seem to take for granted things that other people tacitly assume are the case -- like that my mental life belongs (ineliminably) to a unifed self. I'll shut up now, I'm probably not making any sense at all.

Last edited by dave_81; 05-18-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Closed Thread