It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Newly diagnosed Schizoaffective

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User
    Newly diagnosed Schizoaffective

Hi everyone,

I just stumbled across this board and I thought I would post because I'm desperately seeking support. I was just diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder a few weeks ago. I feel like my life is over. I'm not sure where to go from here. So then I got really suicidal and spent a week in the psych unit. I guess I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me that they are living a semi normal and productive life with this disease.

Thanks,
    Shana Sophia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Schizoaffective

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sophia85
    Hi everyone,

I just stumbled across this board and I thought I would post because I'm desperately seeking support. I was just diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder a few weeks ago. I feel like my life is over. I'm not sure where to go from here. So then I got really suicidal and spent a week in the psych unit. I guess I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me that they are living a semi normal and productive life with this disease.

Thanks,
    Shana Sophia
    Hi,

I wanted to offer my support. I haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia (yet); I have, however, been suffering from auditory hallucinations and depression for quite awhile, and am about to be put on antipsychotic medication. I can really empathise with what you wrote. I never in my wildest dreams envisaged my life turning out like this. I know at this stage that things must be terribly tough and almost impossibly hard to come to terms with. I still can't believe that my life has come to this -- that I'm hearing voices and am gonna have to take psychiatric medicine. Nevertheless, these sorts of conditions are treatable -- the people on this board (who are very kind and supportive) can testify to that. I think you've got to be kind to yourself and give yourself a lot of time to come to terms with things. It goes without saying that developing a disorder like schizophrenia is a terrible, terrible shock; it's something that afflicts other people, not something that afflicts people like us. But schizophrenia's doesn't discriminate. I think the most important thing to do is to educate yourself about mental illness. Know exactly what your dealing with. Don't remain in the dark. I think that the less you know about schizophrenia, the more scary it is. When I first started hearing things I was absolutely terrified; I thought my life was over for sure -- that I was going to be locked away and that everyone was going to forget about me. But my life didn't end. I found a very supportive p-doc and gradually educated myself (as best I could) about mental illness. Remember that schizophrenia is treatable, that you can get your life back --although it might take a long time.

I know this reply has been garbled, but I hope it helped a little bit. It's difficult to know what to say in these situations, other than "hang in there -- it is possible to get better." And remember, you not alone; there are others out there who are dealing with this sort of stuff -- myself included. I'll be thinking of you. Hang in there and I sincerely hope things improve for you soon.

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 06-16-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

... also, if your looking for some support try posting on the bi-polar board. (Schizoaffective disorder means that you've got both schizophrenia and bipolar/depression, right?). I've found that the people over there are really kind and supportive; your also likely to get more replies.

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 06-16-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi...I also have schizoaffective disorder, and I can tell you that it is possible to recover and lead a worth-while, productive life. It took me a long time to get to the point where I'm able to work part-time and go to school part-time (master's degree program), but it is doable. It is a terrible shock to hear the diagnosis; it was for me, anyway. I had been in law school, working full-time, and single-parenting a disabled son before I was dxed.-in other words, very high-functioning. I knew something was wrong, but didn't realize how sick I'd become. It was a big blow to my self-esteem, but once I accepted that I was sick and began to take meds for it, I was able to move forward again. Hope this helps a little...Sue

Old 06-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Hey Suecat,

If you don't mind me asking, how long exactly did it take you to get your life back on track after you were diagnosed? Because I'm just about to start treatment...

Best,

Dave_81

Old 06-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User

Suecat the diagnosis came as a shock to me too. I had been diagnosed a year ago with mild bipolar II disorder and I kind of knew something more was wrong. I had been in treatment for a long time for depression and an eating disorder. Lately my thoughts had become cloudy, my concentration was gone, I was doing terrible at work and at school, my friendships were slipping away, I was isolating, etc. Then I went through the testing wtih my psychologist and she came back saying schizoaffective disorder and it really caught me off guard. Part of me wants to refuse to believe her but another part knows she is right....

Old 06-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
    hankszabo

hankszabo HB User

hi, i'm hank and new to this particular board, but also have schizoaffective disorder. i wish i had found this site a long time ago, because i have always considered myself more depressed than anything, but it's my hallucinations that are the scariest things and that drive others away. i hope i don't say or do anything stupid on this board, cuz i'm desperate to learn more about my illness and learn about others experiences with the disease.

suecat: i'm also "high functioning" (MEd, CPA license formerly) but can't work fulltime cuz i just don't get along with people. too much stuff in my head all the time, scary stuff too.

i wish you all the best

sophia85: it's definately not the end of the world. i'm 39, and have been diagnosed schizoaffective since i was about 24.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #8
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi...sorry it took me so long to get back here.

It was five years ago that things really started to go wrong; I'd been under an immense amount of stress, and, looking back, I can see that the symptoms I've had since I was a teenager correlate with the amount of stress I was under at the time. Just never put two and two together until recently. Anyway, it's taken me five years to get to the point I'm at now. For me, the hardest part about accepting the diagnosis and all that it entails is the scaling back about my expectations of myself and of my life and future. I've had to really come to terms witht the fact that I am limited in some ways and my life is not going to be exactly as I had envisioned it would be. It's a process and a struggle sometimes; whenever I encounter a setback that is related to having schizoaffective disorder it's like the grieving process starts again.
    It's hard. But you can have a future and a good life.
    Take care, everyone, Sue

Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #9
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User

I completely understand what you are saying about the hardest thing being scaling back your expectations of yourself. For a long time I pictured myself getting my MD or my PhD and now I think that I'll be lucky if I end up with an associates from a community college. Any degree will be a huge success for me at this point.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi, Sophia...I always assumed I'd get an advance degree, too, was even halfway there in law school when things bottomed out. It's been so painful sometimes, when I think of how my life has changed. In a way, it's much better now; I'm getting treatment, and am living a life that is 100% better for me emotionally and physically (I also have lupus). But, as you know, it's a huge adjustment.
    Any degree WILL be a huge success for you, and that's a good thing. Start small, and see how it goes. It may be start and stop at first, and that's okay. Do what you can do when you can do it, and I think slowly things will start coming together for you.
    Not many people really understand these kinds of issues; glad this board it here. Take care, Sue

Old 07-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #11
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

I know exactly what you mean about your diagnosis being a blow to your self esteem. Today I went to the doctor to tell them about my worry of having schizophrenia. The doctor told me he didn't think that I had schizophrenia just depression. He wanted to put me on a medicin called Geodon, though, and recommended me to go to a psychiatrist just for a second opinion. I didn't take the medicine Geodon since I thought it was silly to take a medicine that treats schizophrenia if I haven't even been diagnosed with it. I was told that the medicine didnt mean that I had it but that it could still help for my depression. Any way, just the thought of taking an anti-psychotic drug in replacement of an anti-depressant was hurtful. I'm just gonna wait till i get the second opinion. If the psychiatrist clears me, I'll be so happy. If he doesn't, I'm still wondering what I will do.

At least the first doctor said he didn't think I have it though.

Last edited by curiouslearner; 07-05-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
    Iwantacure

Iwantacure HB User

A lot of doctor can be wrong in their diagnose.
    Doctors are not perfect, you need to understand that.
    Go for a second and third opinion.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #13
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to get the second opinion for sure.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #14
    youngwarrior

youngwarrior HB User

Hi Sophia
    I normally don’t post but I wanted to give you some words of encouragement. I also have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder 2 years ago. I remember being very depressed about my diagnosis and afraid of what this could mean for me in the future. But I was lucky enough to find a therapist I liked very much as well as a psychiatrist who both supported and helped me a lot over the past years. Thanks to therapy and finally finding the right medication at the right dosage, I have made quite some progress and, unless I am under a lot of stress, I now have very few symptoms. On most days, I feel pretty “normal”. And I am not afraid anymore of what other people might think about my mental illness. It is just part of who I am. And it really can get better, at least it did in my case

Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User

YoungWarrorior,

Thanks for your post. You described exactly how I've been feeling (wondering about my future etc). It was good to hear that you are doing so well.

Sophia

Closed Thread