It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Am I Schizophrenic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User
    Question Am I Schizophrenic?

Hi Board,

Here is my story and I was wondering if you think that I am schizophrenic.

I did a search on "Depersonalization" because that is what I have been feeling for the last 5 months. I have no idea whether it is one of the first symptoms of schizohphrenia or not.

My old psychiatrist "you have pre-morbid symptoms of schizophrenia", and I believed him at the time. After all, he is qualified at his profession. To go along with that he even put me on a anti-psychotic medication called Abilify for my pre-morbid schizophrenianess.

It all started when I was put on anti-depressants for depresson / anxiety. I was on those for about 1 year and 1/2. I never fully withdrew or weened off of them, and I got to taking a medication called Cymbalta, it made me feel funny, and I stopped. 1-3 months after I couldn't sleep at night, felt dizzy, thought I had a tumor (got tested>results: negative), thought I had schizophrenia and still think that I could possibly be developing it.

At the beginning of my so called 'anti-depressant withdrawal' which has taken at least 5 months and still going (I think), I had many flashbacks and felt dizzy, couldn't sleep at night, felt depersonalized majorly. Since then, the dizzy and couldn't sleep at night has gone away for the most part, but the other symptoms remain especially the depersonalization. I also lack the judgement to adequately tell if I am improving. I sure hope that I am, but I don't know. During my first few months of withdrawal, I felt like I was losing my mind, but now I don't have that feeling as much anymore. But now my mind feels blank all the time and my brain just somehow works even though my mind is blank. It is just in a black hole, yet somehow going through the motions.

I have been through what you described about wanting to be like everyone else, but now after all of this, I would have been glad just to be myself. And I am sure most people would have if they had this. I would rather life be passing me by and me feeling normal, than feeling like this.

Anyways, I don't know if back to back to back use of these medications can cause schizophrenia or not, but I do know that the medications could have caused either:

1) A Permanent Chemical Imbalance

2) Brain Damage (at least so far during my withdrawal)

3) Possible Schizophrenia

4) A Mental Disease / Or Something That I Don't Know About

5) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

I also feel way worse at night than when I wake up in the morning.

Depersonalization is the major symptom.

I appreciate any response.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Mind Trick For This Useful Post:
    nadialiu (07-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Am I Schizophrenic?

You should go to a Psychologist (not a therapist or social worker) and ask them to administer a full battery of psychological tests including the MMPI2. That should help clarify your diagnosis.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User
    Re: Am I Schizophrenic?

Hi Sophia. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
    Kelly Jean kreh
    (female)

Kelly Jean kreh HB User

dear jedi mind trick,how old are you ,i am 38 and i have been taking medicines for schizophrenia since i was 22 when i was diagnosed,do you feel like you are in reality or not.i take 200mg.of zoloft 600mg.of seroquel and 100mg.of trazadone.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User
    Kelly Jean kreh- Re: Am I Schiophrenic? (My Story)

Hi Kelly,

I will tell you why I have the feelings that I am experiencing now through a very breif story.

I am 16. No, I don't feel like I am in reality. I don't know if it is related to antidepressant use or what is happening. I have a little obsessive compulsive disorder. I am not hearing voices or seeing things either. I can't tell if it is depression, PTSD, an onset of schizophrenia or what. I can't concentrate and can't tell if my feelings are coming back, it is like they are dulled and I don't have any. All of this started this year when my psychiatrist was all gung-ho about prescribing anti-depressants to me because nothing seemed to work for my depression. I eventually got to this one medication called Cymbalta with hopes that it would be the 'answer', and it did work for my depression while I was on it. I was only on it for 4 days though because it made me feel weird, almost like I was 'out of reality'. So after taking all those anti-depressants in a row for a year, I stopped cold-turkey after the Cymbalta and it has been about 5 months since I have taken anti-depressants. Now I started taking fish oil, & a multi-vitamin. I felt like I was in reality throughout my depression. But, now I don't feel depressed, I am just at an emotional flatness. I felt more out of reality and suicidal the first few months of my anti-depressant withdrawal, but I have slightly improved. I cannot really tell if I am getting better or what. I can almost be certain that if I wouldn't have taken any anti-depressants, I would not feel like this. I guess I will never get a chance to find out though.

Could anti-depressant use have caused schizophenia?

I don't have any family history of any mental problems (including schizophrenia), and I am unsure if I have it.

My psychiatrist said, "you have premorbid symptoms of schizophrenia" and prescribed me Abilify (which I only took for 1 day because it made me start to see things). I took only 1/2 of the lowest dose and I will never take that crap again.

Whether I have schizophrenia or not, I hope that a cure can be found soon through stem cells, medicine, or whatever gets the job done. I really hope that everyone on this board is doing well and feeling as best as their mind can allow. Do the medications that you are taking now make you feel more in reality and functioning?

I have been reading about articles, testing, etc. all on schizophrenia and came across one that stated that a simple "smell" test may be successful in predicting the onset of schizophrenia. Did, before you were diagnosed with schizophrenia, or do you currently have difficulty distinguishing the smells of things?

I hope that you are doing great,

And I am thankful for your response,

Sincerely,

Jedi Mind Trick

P.S. I feel way worse at night compared to when I wake up in the morning and I don't know of any reason why. Do people with schizophrenia feel that too?

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 06-30-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
    ScottyB85
    (male)

ScottyB85 HB User

You have a big brain m8 :> Sort it out...

Last edited by ScottyB85; 07-01-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
    hankszabo

hankszabo HB User

a lot of people with depression and other forms of mental illness feel better in the morning vs. night, or even vice versa. i am diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder, with the affective part being depression, and feel better in the middle part of the day. my meds (including abilify) make me wake up with a hangover (plus they make me fat), but i haven't had your experiences with the hallucinations caused by meds. i know a lot of people are very succeptible to side effects, and you might be one of them.

it would be weird for a doctor to come right out and say to you that you had "premorbid symptoms of schizophrenia." did that come from his notes? if so, he might just be covering his behind and have listed every possible outcome. your posts are very clear and well thought out, so i'd say your thinking seems quite clear.

anyway, i'll stop here. hoping for the best for you jedi mt.
    hank

Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

ScottyB85, I don't know what you mean when you say you have a big brain...

Anyways, Hank, thanks for your response and information.
    I'm not sure (when my psychiatrist hinted "premorbid symptoms of schizophrenia") if it came out of his notes or what. But just that remark has been lingering inside my head haunting me. I go back and forth between being sometimes convinced that I have it (usually at night) and not thinking that I have it (usually in the morning).

I Definitely Appreciate Your Comments & Thoughts,

JMT

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 07-04-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
    ScottyB85
    (male)

ScottyB85 HB User

Like everything is a big dark world inside your mind...Thats what mine is like so I think I can relate to you. Say in my last job I would see people trying thier hardest to do the simplist of things ie. stacking wafers. Which I found really easy to do and my mind would just kind of switch off but still be working...

Old 07-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Hi Guys,

Does a person with schizophrenia usually have hallucinations before the voices or vice versa or does it all vary depending on the person?

Usually at night I feel way worse than during the day.

[This Is How I Feel]: I can't communicate with anyone because I feel like another species on the earth. I feel like I can't communicate with a human. I just can't understand how everyone else is out living and having fun out there and doing things. I also get horrible feelings that everyone I know and everyone else is going to die and I feel like I could die any day.

I am scared for myself. Does anyone think I should go in for another blood test or at least some test. I have no idea what's wrong. I am seeing a psychiatrist in a few weeks or so.

I just want to be functioning like (myself) a human again. I think it is mostly mental. I feel like my brain is leaving and it is detached from my body.

I had an MRI this year. Can those show schizophrenia? Also, I am considering having another blood test done. I just want the 'PROPER' diagnosis. PROPER diagnosis is the key to helping yourself.

I appreciate any responses,

Thank-you,

JMT

Old 07-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

Hi Jedi Trick. First, I want to say that my heart goes out to you. It must be so difficult to be your age and have all of these confusing thoughts and worries. I hope that you have some one to lean on other than the psyhiatrist that you're seeing. My advice to you is that you should be direct and honest with your psychiatrist. Don't hold anything back. At the same time, don't be sloppy with the way you present your problem. The last thing you want to do is give the doctor a wrong impression. If your docot cannot give you a solid answer, then consider seeing another one. Afterall, a diagnosis isn't a light matter. You deserve to know for sure what you're suffering with and to be without lingering doubts and uncertainties. Good luck.

Last edited by curiouslearner; 07-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Hi curiouslearner,

Thanks for your support and sharing your thoughts with me.

Do you know of any tests such as an MRI or a simple blood test that can help diagnose schizophrenia? I read that they may be able / are able to detect the disease.

Thanks again for your support,

JMT

Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #13
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

From all of my own research, I have never learned of any such blood test that can diagnose schizophrenia. However, people suffering with the disease tend to have unusual brain activity that can be detected with some sort of test. Your doctor can tell you about it since I dont know much about it. The biggest characteristic of schizophrenia is a detachment from reality. People who have it tend to hear voices that arent there or see things that arent there (hallucinations). They may also have conspiracy theories that are just not rational. For instance, the idea that the government is plotting to kidnap them or that aliens are secretly monitoring their thoughts make up some of those delusions. My aunt who has schizophrenia once saw herself on tv if you can believe that. So the best way to learn whether you have it or not is to read about it and find out what the symptoms are. Then ask yourself if you have those symptoms. If you think you do, share that with your doctor. Most of all, be accurate when you present your problem. You don't want to use suggestive language that might push the doctor into diagnosing you falsely. Also, I think you should ask your doctor what he meant when he said "premorbid symptoms of schizophrenia." Tell him that remark has you confused and worried. Any ways, it seems that you're not sure if you have it, and I hope that you end up not having it. I am still studying on my own since I know that I feel like something is wrong with me.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Hi curiouslearner,

Nevermind about the blood test thing that I read about. It said a blood test is sort of working its way through 'trials' to determine its precision.

That site has good information relating to the disease and more encouraging for people with the disease is the news that is posted daily. Such as new drugs in trial, and other news relating to the disease.

I think that I do feel detatched from reality. Do you know what happens next to a schizophrenic? Do they usually feel detatched first then have hallucinations and then hear voices? Or does it all depend on the individual?

I am no longer seeing my psychiatrist who said "you have premorbid symptoms of schizophrenia." I haven't seen a psychiatrist for months. He prescribed me Abilify, I took it for 1 day. I only took 1/2 of the lowest prescribed dose and I felt way worse, I thought it was making me crazy. I am starting to see a therapist and will be seeing a psychiatrist as soon as there is an opening.

If you read my previous posts you see that it all started after taking the anti-depressant Cymbalta and many others previous to the Cymbalta which I am not sure were all out of my system before I took the Cymbalta. I am also starting to wonder, since there is such a thing as Drug Induced Schizophrenia. I am wondering if the anti-depressants could have caused an imbalance to take place which triggered schizophrenia or caused something like Drug Induced Schizophrenia. I am also wondering if I could have had a bad reaction from an anti-depressant which caused some chemical change or something else in my brain to take place. Or maybe I was just destined to have it from the beginning of my life. But, it doesn't make any sense to me because my family and ancestors have never even had a mental disease / problem and I was fine until I had the bad reaction to 1 / possibly more anti-depressants. I honestly think that I would be 'normal' right now if I never had taken any anti-depressants. But, I can't go back in time to change that.

Thanks for hoping that I don't have schizophrenia. I hope nobody develops it. Unfortunately, the people that do develop it have no choice. I also hope that nothing is wrong with you.

I'm just looking for a precise diagnosis. I will try to present my situation in a professional and organized manner and take it from there.

Thanks for your support and help,

JMT

Last edited by Mo-S4; 08-30-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

Schizophrenia has a lot to do with the dopamine in one's brain. I don't think that anti-depressants like Paxil or Lexapro mess with dopamine, so there isn't a reason for me to think that schizophrenia can come from using them. On the other hand, if you take drugs like cocaine, then maybe there can be a strange effect on you. Anti-depressants are not suppose to cause schizophrenia, though, and if it was ever proven that one did, there would be the biggest law suit in all of medical history I'm sure.

As for the developing process of schizophrenia, I don't know exactly what comes first. Feeling detached can come from a lot of different things though. Sometimes it is just a sign of sever depression. Maybe there is something wrong with your body like high blood pressure or something. I'm really not sure.

The best thing though is to be honest and direct with your counselor. I wouldn't say you have to be professional, just clear and mature about it. But I'm sure you already know that.

Last edited by curiouslearner; 07-06-2005 at 10:58 PM.

Closed Thread