It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations in psychotic disorders?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
    lachesis
    (female)

lachesis HB User
    Question hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations in psychotic disorders?

i have schizophrenia, and am curious as to know how many people out there with psychotic disorders sufferer from frequent hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations (ones that occur on the onset of sleep and right after waking) with no explanation.

i am very well aware that hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are not symptoms of schizophrenia or any other form of psychosis. as a matter of fact, they are usually considered to be completely normal. it's just that i have them nearly every night for lengthy periods of time, and they are incredibly vivid (i can see and hear them, and often feel them as well, they are often accompanied by delusions, and i am unaware they are not real until they fade). i do not have sleep paralysis, nor narcolepsy, which are the only things i can find to explain having them with such regularity. i cannot find any other sleep disorder that seems to encompass this, and i was wondering if it could have anything to do with my schizophrenia (and therefore my tendency towards having hallucinations and delusions?).

my apologies if it seems like i posted this in the wrong forum (it was discussed awhile back in the sleep disorder forum, but again the only answers i saw were sleep paralysis and narcolepsy), but i was just wondering how many schizophrenics share this experience. thanks

Last edited by lachesis; 07-27-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Re: hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations in psychotic disorders?

wow i have been wondering what the heck that was called! i have panic/anxiety disorded and have had that happen to me alot over the past few months but never knew what it was called.. they seem to be so random also like it can jump from one hallucination to the next in a sec and make no sense at all.. and what was making it really scary for me was i still felt half awake when it would happen.. but it would oly happen right at the time i started drifting off to sleep or right at the time i woke up and a little after and that is probably what started getting me thinking i had schizophrenia.. but now that i had a chance to look it up online i know its just a sleep disorder not all that uncommon and not a form of another illness..

heh sorry i couldnt really answer your question... but thanks for helping me figure out what the heck i have been dealing with.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
    lachesis
    (female)

lachesis HB User
    Re: hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations in psychotic disorders?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Punkdizzle
    wow i have been wondering what the heck that was called! i have panic/anxiety disorded and have had that happen to me alot over the past few months but never knew what it was called.. they seem to be so random also like it can jump from one hallucination to the next in a sec and make no sense at all.. and what was making it really scary for me was i still felt half awake when it would happen.. but it would oly happen right at the time i started drifting off to sleep or right at the time i woke up and a little after and that is probably what started getting me thinking i had schizophrenia.. but now that i had a chance to look it up online i know its just a sleep disorder not all that uncommon and not a form of another illness..

heh sorry i couldnt really answer your question... but thanks for helping me figure out what the heck i have been dealing with.
    yay, so glad i could help

Closed Thread