It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #31
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

It's nice to know that someone else felt the same way. (Thanks for the compliment on my name, by the way! F. Scott Fitzgerald is the master of literature, as my English teacher used to say... ) I only used the word "gifted" because that's what the book was about; I don't know if I'm "gifted" or not. I agree with you that we can't rate our own intelligence. I'll let you guys know more tomorrow after my CBT session, and yes, I have a tough time keeping up with the speed of my thoughts (especially while I'm obsessing), too!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #32
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiouskittie
    Thank you thank you. I'll take your wonderful advice, and follow it most obediantely.

On the subject of giftedness - You have said that their is no connection between giftedness and mental illness however I think you may be missing the bigger picture with the evidence you presented. While yes, their may be tons of mentally ill people who are not above average intelligence(and in fact - many are below average than what you would expect according to correlation), that doesn't mean that the mental illness rate is lower within the gifted population. From studies that I've read whilst browsing online, the incidence of mental illness among highly gifted students is higher than that compared to the average population. But there's the caveat - Highly gifted - which actually makes up less than .2% of the population and I am no way apart of the highly gifted. So there's going to be several notable geniuses that have mental illness(John Nash to be one) that's going to make it appear there is a connection between mental illness and mental ability - but the truth is... for the majority, their's a negative correlation between intelligence and mental illness meaning the more intelligent a random person is, the less likely he/she will develop a mental illness.

Now for what gatsbylurver stated - I think that Most obsessive compulsive's are above average intelligence, but I don't think that most highly intelligent people are obsessive compulsive. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's where you might be getting confused.

Anyhow - Thanks for the posts everyone - it's been great reading your posts and all those who wrote life stories. Pitch forth anything else you have to say!

[Oh - and autism is unlikely I think..]
    I never stated that mental illness is lower in higher intelligence. I said that mental illness can affect any person of any intelligence. Which is completely true.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #33
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

This is very true, suchgreatheight. I was sort of trying to say that in my topsy turvy roundabout way Especially brain illnesses. They're not discriminatory.

peace
    pea

Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #34
    cloudedmind
    Inactive
    (female)

cloudedmind HB User

There is also the medication aspect also. some can really make your memory bad. Unless this is just me? I know my current meds (Seroquel) have made my memory really bad. In fact, just the other day I couldn't even remember my own age, didn't help the fact I didn't know what year it was. Took me about 5 minutes to work it out.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #35
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
    I never stated that mental illness is lower in higher intelligence.
    Really?...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
    "Giftedness" correlating with mental illness sounds nice, doesn't it? But that's not the case.
    If you weren't saying that, you sure had me fooled.

Anyhow - A case of these 'social difficulties' at work.

::Walks to the dorm room's door and unlocks it::
    ::Notices that room-mate is inside the room, with a locked door. He usually leaves the door open, but over the past couple of days(it started a week ago), I've been noticing it being closed. Also, his social contact with others in reallife in the dorms has decreased - So I reached a conclusion...::
    "Wow, you seem to be becoming increasingly isolated."
    .....::silence - Decided to change the subject::
    "Well, hey did you have any conflicts on the homework that was supposed to be due to today?"
    His reply, "I'm not talking to you".
    My reply, "oooook."
    .....::I leave the room and seek isolation::

Yeah - the only thing that could of alluded to that could of gotten that response in my opinion is the altercation on the night before where I said something like "Well, for all I know you could be gay. I hadn't seen anything suggesting otherwise." which was then returned with a rigidly standing middle finger. I don't exactly know how that, nor the recent dialogue upsetted him.

Clues, anyone?

Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #36
    cloudedmind
    Inactive
    (female)

cloudedmind HB User

Whats this got ot do with schizophrenia? Unless you think your friend has too?

Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #37
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Ok. Since you're asking, I'll see how many ways I can connect this to schizophrenia.

Social difficulties and social blindness is often a major feature in schizophrenics. I.E., this is the part where social behaviors for schizophrenics isn't normal and reactions are abnormal. An extreme example of this is when a schizophrenic is happy or laughing at something that would normally be devesatating.. like someone in the family dying.

To a less extreme degree, I was socially "blind" to how this could make my room-mate upset. If I had known it would make him upset, I wouldn't of told him that but I did. I don't think he's an abnormal person(reacts abnormally) since he's friends with and gets along well with many of the people on the dorm's floor just fine, so I think his response was quite normal - and hence what I did was wrong in someway, however I don't understand how.

Number 2 - if you still cannot see how this previous post has anything to do with schizoprhenia and my explanation wasn't reasonable or coherent, you could just see that was a fine example of tangential thinking as in what I say doesn't have any or little relevance to the topic at hand(which would be schizophrenia), thus a demonstration of my "schizo-like" tendencies.

Also a personality disorder called schizotypal describes one of the main featurures as talking in a long roundabout way - if I'm doing that(now or in the past), then maybe I have the schizo feature of blabbing on and on about nothing really... am I blabbing on and on about little to nothing?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #38
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
    It's nice to know that someone else felt the same way. (Thanks for the compliment on my name, by the way! F. Scott Fitzgerald is the master of literature, as my English teacher used to say... ) I only used the word "gifted" because that's what the book was about; I don't know if I'm "gifted" or not. I agree with you that we can't rate our own intelligence. I'll let you guys know more tomorrow after my CBT session, and yes, I have a tough time keeping up with the speed of my thoughts (especially while I'm obsessing), too!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-
    I agree as well, that you can't RELIABLY rate your own intelligence - but you can get a pretty good estimate at what you are and aren't good at, and know what areas you are "smart" at and "not so smart"(Though there's vast room for under-estimating yourself) - which I don't think is a direct estimate of your intelligence but rather your own competencies, which can reliably rated.

Another use of intelligence is using it as a relative term which depends on others and the context. If a 130 IQ person was being compared to a 70 IQ person in an academic setting, then I think you might consider the 130 IQ person the more intelligent one since IQ has more to do with academic intelligence. But comparing a horribly skilled 130 IQ farmer, with a excellently-skilled 70 IQ farmer than in the realm of "farming" you might find the 70 IQ guy to be the smart one.(and IQ is used as a measurement abritrarily).

However - You can look at intelligence objectively in only certain senses and test it - thus psychometric tests such as IQ testing abounds and thus you can compare yourself to others reliably in those senses alone. Also others can comment on your general intelligence, so you can get a good idea of your own "intelligence" - though not nessecarily self-rate it.

Last edited by curiouskittie; 01-26-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #39
    cloudedmind
    Inactive
    (female)

cloudedmind HB User

You seem obsessed with Schizophrenia. Unless you seek medical advice, you';re just going to go over and over things and never coming to a comclusion. Every little thing being a symptom of Schizophrenia, when in fact it could be anything.

You need to spend you time doing something else, other than onssessing about a mental illness you more than likely don't have.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #40
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Don't tell me - I'm obsessed?! *sob* *sob*, This isn't obsessive compulsive in nature, is it?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #41
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Kittie, all I said is that "giftedness" and mental illness don't correlate. That means that they donít show a relationship. I never said that illness is lower in higher intelligence. It means that anyone at any intelligence rate can receive a mental illness. That means 50/50. I never claimed one showed more or less.

And indeed, you are being very obsessive. With everything you do or say you jump to the impression of Schizophrenia. But the truth is, what you describe can be anything. Social difficulties and social blindness are wired to many things. As we said before, Autism. What about one-way thinking? Or ignorance? Or inability to see the whole picture? But just because you have these problems, it doesnít point out that you have a psychotic disorder.

SGH

Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #42
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

cloudedmind, I take seroquel myself. All my antipsychotic meds have wreaked havoc on my thoughts, my personality... but then again, so has the schizophrenia. Double whammy.

pea

Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #43
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

You noticed his room door closed, you've been aware of his patterns over the last few days, that sort of thing? Wow. Now see, my illness makes that kind of recognition a lot harder than it used to be. I'm actually far more observant than I once was but about everyday things like that? That don't exist in the abstract? I'd never notice that.

peace
    pea

Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #44
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Sorry.. I read posts and replied too fast.

Okay. Here's the thing. There are several kinds of digressional thinking. The fact that you recognize yourself doing it at all makes you an unlikely candidate for sz. Also, the kind of "tangential" thinking you're describing isn't quite the same thing. What you describe as tangential, I see as staying on topic better than most.

And SuchGreatHeight. I understood what you said. That there is no correlation doesn't necessarily mean that there is no examples of the two existing together. Totally different things.

peace
    pea

Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #45
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Exactly.

SGH

Closed Thread