It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #61
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User
    Re: A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by i-be-peabody
    Well here's the thing, right? I agree. a lot of intelligent people may very well have a higher chance of developing a mental illness. But this isn't always indicative of brain illness, which is what sz is. (yes, mental illness first but that's just semantics)

This is my dime store shrink take on everything... Highly intelligent kids tend to be very curious, thoughtful, insightful, and creative. This can cause isolation with their peers (probably alphamaleism or something) These intelligent, sensitive kids then go on to junior high where you throw a heafty dose of hormones in the mix. This is the place and time where the intelligent kids are now starting to see what REAL torment can be like. Finally by high school, they get so damn sick of it, that one of two things usually happens (In my observations, anyway) Fight or Flight. They either hide and cry or they lash out. One day, they may come to school one day with a loaded shotgun..

Regardless, this fight or flight over time (because theis is the reaction to danger, right??) can be a real stress on the brain, the mind and the soul. Mental illness can sometimes follow this as the poor kid's brain has been in fight or flight mode (perception of danger> stressors on the brain > stress - sleep disruption > can't deal anymore) for so damn long that he/she just cracks under the pressure. This can cause suicidal thoughts, depression, isolation and anger which can lead to personality disorders, OCD behaviour.. what have you. This is a kind of environmental reaction to stress. This can often cause mental illness. I'll bet.

But a brain sickness is kind of a different thing. I mean, yeah. Your environment can play a role in whether or not a dormant gene comes to the surface. High levels of stress, taking drugs, Especially psychedelics (which I swear to god is what went on with me) social withdrawl, etc. But this is an indirect cause, a correlation between genes and what your environment does to those genes. I agree there are many very intelligent psychotic people and that, in some cases, intelligence can lend itself to psychosis but this isn't a necessary condition.Usually, even if a psychotic person can showcase their intelligence to any degree, they're usually too shattered by the time the illness has taken flight to do much about actualizing their potential. (i certainly was. I'm just now getting everything back together )That's all I meant. Also, and again, thsi is just from experience. But the psych ward is full of psychotic people. And there aren't many who I would call gifted. I've met a couple. But for the most part, it's a false truth because psychosis does cause heightened awareness of one's surroundings, which can induce high levels of creativity... this isn't always a sign of intelligence, just a unique perspective of the world. Although it can also be a sign of intelligence. I guess what I'm saying is that psychosis can hide intelligence a lot of the time... Which doesn't prove my point but then, I didn't really have apoint to being wiht. Just an interesting, somewhat academic take on things. (I have no previous training in psychology or anything like that. but I do have a science background as well as a creative background and when you do, you tend to see cause and effect relationships everywhere you go)
    Yeah.. I think this is what I was thinking of

peace
    pea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #62
    smw73
    (female)

smw73 HB User

When I was younger, I had social problems and used to worry and obsess about all kinds of things. Other people (including doctors and social workers) used to suggest that I had schizophrenia. They even tried me with medication and guess what? I started hallucinating and seeing the Ku Klux Klan following me! In the end I was properly diagnosed with Autism. That's not necessarily saying that you have Autism either.

Do I think intelligent people are at worse risk of mental illness? In some ways, yes, because it can tend to be socially isolating, especially when you are younger and in a typical high school environment. But then, as an adult, you can usually find your own 'niche' and I think that most work out the life skills to deal with it. Being 18 is a difficult stage. The best thing you can do is to learn to accept yourself as you are - it gets easier as you get older. Do things to build your confidence - be yourself and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, because sometimes the harder you try to make everyone else like you, the worse it gets. Do what you like doing. We all have our own idiosyncrasies and who cares? That's what makes you who you are and an individual, so don't feel bad about it. Good luck!

Last edited by smw73; 02-16-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 AM   #63
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Yes. I agree. But CuriousKitty, don't ignore your pain and trouble, either. If you're feeling unsure in your own environment, you have a right to ask for help and you have a right to receive it.

love pea

Old 02-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #64
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I still, one hundred percent, stand by the fact that absolutely anyone (with any IQ score) can acquire a Mental Illness. But I also wanted to state that I do think many people with certain disorders (illnesses) hold a higher intelligence.

I think why you and I bump heads on this subject, Kitty, is that you state (theoretically) that many people have higher intelligence rates (which can be true), while I stick to the rock solid fact that anyone can acquire one. To copy and paste, "...anyone at any intelligence rate can receive a mental illness. That means 50/50. I never claimed one showed more or less.".

But to move on, (again copying and pasting) I wanted to shed my two cents on the subject.

"It could be possible that with over analyzing and constantly thinking (AD/HD, OCD, Anxiety), that many people with such disorders, have a high intelligence because of the source. It's just that a lot of the symptoms from that source cause a lot of problems (jumping from subject to subject, talking a lot, getting caught up on the small details, etc.)." (From my AD/HD with Social Anxiety post ' [URL=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=2179904&postcount=6]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=2179904&postcount=6[/URL] ')

I believe that Schizophrenia works in the same way (on some levels). And in other ways, Schizophrenia teaches people how to cope, react and live in different aspects than some people do. That in which, increases certain aspects of the brain (intelligence, personal growth, etc.)

I also believe though, that Schizophrenia (and other disorders) can cause certain psychological damage to how a person lives and thinks. Which this can decrease intelligence. And certain symptoms of Schizophrenia (disorganized thought, attention/concentration difficulties, etc.) can also cause people to show a lower intelligence rate.

And I just wanted to add, that it is obvious, that you have some personal difficulties (I never denied you the fact of that). I'm still forward to the idea of a professional. Because no matter the diagnosis, therapy and/or medications could be a possibility.

SGH

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 02-04-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #65
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

As I tried to say myself, though I think I got a little too wordy about it, yes, I agree. Intelligence lends itself to higher cases of mental illness in a lot of cases. But... okay. Think of grade eight math. They're not dependant on one another as a universal. They occur together at times and in some cases, mental illness is dependant on intelligence, but this is something that has to be taken on a case by case basis.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #66
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

I think we're having a problem agreeing that we all agree what we understand what we are all saying.

I agree with you all ,suchgreatheights and I-be-peabody, there was just one small statement that I picked out of your posts and analyzed too death and thus my responses. Everything else I agreed with.

Anyhow,
    late in the hour last night,
    around 4 in the frigid cold morning,
    I thought my computer was talking.
    That's right, I thought it was talking.
    So I turned up my computer's volume,
    Because I really did assume,
    it was coming from my computer -

But - Nope. There was no sound coming from my computer - If there was, it would of gotten louder as I turned up the volume but it didn't. It was just a whole bunch of small, barely audible sounds - it didn't quite sound like talking but just like very light incomprehensible gibberish. It so hard to describe an internal experience...

Last edited by curiouskittie; 02-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #67
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

I kind of had this theory, or condition regarding my own possible development of a psychiatric disorder. The idea was that if I ever got to the point where communicating with others obviously wasn't working(Other don't understand you, and Other people seem to think you didn't understand them which in reality is probably true but isn't apparent to the misunderstanding/misunderstood person) and it once did in the past, then I can safely say communication skills or whatever you want it call it has probably declined - which..... if all efforts are made to correct that, but nothing works - Then it most likely has a psychiatric-related cause. I'm starting to think, with my apparent inability to communicate on here(and how I haven't had a response since my last post) and how seemingly intelligent individuals whom should understand everybody, in chatting online and offline, seem to think that I don't understand them(even though I do, but somehow that's not expressed when I communicate or I don't seem to communicate "understanding"), that I am on the verge of developing one.

Also considering the fact I have become increasingly isolated with all contact with people in real-life being cutoff drastically, I think I may be developing something. But I'll never really know. And even if I am developing something, it's irreversible so I might as well enjoy the time that I have on this earth - even if it's spent in disillusionment.(Arguably everyone lives in some degree of delusion, and so my delusion would only be at a greater degree than most)

As the saying goes "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.".

Last edited by curiouskittie; 02-08-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #68
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

I'm sorry. I did understand your last post.

Still thinking exactly how to reply...

peace
    pea

Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #69
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Hahahaha.... I think this is how it is for most others I try to talk/chat to. I make a somewhat ambiguous reply, and then they're thinking "how do I respond to this?" because of the ambiguity or the irrelevance or non-reciprocity of it, and then..... silence falls and everybody ignores it. I'm trying to find out exactly how to fix whatever needs to be "fixed", but can't really determine what needs to be fixed... so it's a "hmmmmmmmmmmm" problem.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #70
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Well no, it's not exactly that... I mean, that wasn't quite what I meant. I just meant that you never mentioned this kind of thing in your earlier posts. So it's kind of... you know. Did that ever happen before? I mean, that reply wasn't ambiguous, really. It was more.. unexpected because you've never mentioned anything like this.

Again, we probably can't fix anything. If you're concerned about the responses you're getting, really, see a doctor. You deserve to know what's going on with you and since we don't know you, we're coming up really short on being able to help beyond just talking. (not that talking doesn't help!! But in conjunction with clinical attention, you'd probably get more help than just simply talking alone, is all I mean)

There is good news here. If you recognize (and reading between the lines, I'd say you do, otherwise you'd have not mentioned it) that what you heard from the computer didn't come from the computer, (using the logic of checking the volume, etc) then you're recognizing that it could be from your mind. That being said, the fact that you are capable of recognizing that is a really good sign. It means that you're aware of your own perceptions versus reality. Most people in a psychotic state wouldn't know the difference (too sick to realize you're sick... pardon me, but there is a term for it. It's slipped me for the moment.) because of course, perception is everything! Everything we are, everything we believe or think or understand or remember is based on perception. Our whole personality is based on our perception of the world (which is why schizophrenia is so shattering) and so when we perceive something to be true, it's very hard to see around something like that, to be able to say "This is not real, no matter how real it seems" Our perception shapes us, therefore it's bigger than us, in a way. And if you can understand what the deal was with, say , this computer thing, then you're still able to logically percieve around that hallucination, if it was one, to what reality actually is. So that's a really good sign!

There are many illnesses where the radar is up and you pick up things that aren't necessarily real or based in reality. Schizophrenia is one of the most powerful, which is why many people who are ill with it don't believe they're ill. But in other illnesses where psychotic symptoms can be present (anything from depression to multiple personality, from OCD to ... borderline personality disorder.) sometimes they're not as devastating and all-encompassing. So the sufferer can realize, even if their perceptions are skewed and seem real, that they're NOT real but that something is still very wrong. Just a thought. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet.

peace
    pea

Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #71
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I couldn't have said it any better Pea. Kittie, really take that into consideration. I'd have to agree completely.

SGH

Old 02-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #72
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Yes and you know what else kitty? You don't have to just see a doctor and possibly start taking pills for whatever he ends up treating you for. I'll bet you'd benefit from some kind of talk therapy A LOT. See, some people learn by talking, some learn by thinking, etc. My point is that when you're talking to someone who cares and will listen, you'll come to realizations as you talk.

This is one of the biggest problems with my situation. I don't really have a chance to talk except when I'm ill and don't want to. (I never want to talk when I'm ill) I mean, it would be just nice. Dealing with life, dealing with my medication and the way people judge because of my illness.. And just dealing with all the stuff that's going on in my world. My cats, my relationships, my family. I usually see my psychiatrist anywhere from two weeks if I'm not dong well, to once a month for prescription renewal. And it's pretty much it. In and out. Sometimes I would like to talk more. Well would like is probably not the right word.. but I feel I'd really benefit from, perhaps is more incontext.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #73
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Thank you all for your replies, you don't really know how grateful I've been.

As for an UPDATE: I went to see a graduate psychometrist for some extended 3 battery test testing that should of picked up certain symptoms of schizophrenia, or at least it should of shown up on the psychometrist's radar, and the only thing that came up was something like "racing thoughts" and "bizarre and strange thoughts". Those two results were later confounded when she found that my WAIS-IQ was between 140-150, or 145 which theoretically means I scored higher than 99.8% of the population on this test[Though it loses it's accuracy at the extrema] which she then ascribed these two symptoms to "extreme intelligence". But this findiing is even murked by the posited link between extreme intelligence(extremely HIGh and extremely LOW intellect) which several studies have showed a higher general incidence of schizophrenia at high IQ scores, so these two previous symptoms could be because I just simply think too much, or I'm actually developing schizophrenia which is a real possibility for my IQ range. So these findings kind of make it a whole lot harder to tell what's what and what's happening BECAUSE OF WHAT.

She also stated that I may have memory impairment after she administered the Memory test and compared it to the IQ score, but I didn't really get all the details on this as the university keeps this information as UNavailible as possible and she didn't want to elaborate because then the University would be at more legal risk. That may of be of important, maybe not. After reading the literature on the Memory scale(I've researched it), there's a suggestion by other researchers that Memory-IQ discrepency found "memory impairments" May be acquired over someone's lifetime - So this could be a recent development. If I remember right, schizophrenia usually entails faulty memory which causes a loss in concetration which allows random meaningfully-insignicant thoughts to pass through the schizophrenic's mind, which causes the tangentiality and also schizophrenia usually develops near the time around the adults(Plus or minus 5-10 years) which I believe means that this memory-deficit must of increased over the schizophrenic's lifespan; If I've recently acquired this memory-deficit, then that suggests that some neurodegenerative disorder is at play: But the psychometrist didn't really clarify to the degree of this "memory-impairment" nor how common my degree of "memory impairment" was within my IQ range or a slightly lower IQ range(Since I think my measured IQ was actually too high), so that may be unfounded speculation.

But for some reason, I don't feel that intelligent nor do my university Test Grades really support that IQ score; I usually always score below the class's average on the tests, even though I've studied comparably the same amount as my peers. So I think my WAIS IQ score was a fluke, and she falsely attributed the previous two symptoms to it - But even then.... there's more to schizophrenia; So maybe I don't have much too worry about.

There's just so many seemingly damn contradictions. There has to be a set of explanations for EVERYTHING that's been going on, and I've yet had the opportunity to find out(Since the psychometrist was vague, and I don't have easy access to a psychologist since I'm not overtly hallucinating nor am I in a psychotic mayhem).

I'll find out within 10 years though! haha.

Last edited by curiouskittie; 03-23-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #74
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiouskittie
    Thank y'all for your observations. Anyhow - I never said that I MUST BE A SCHIZOPHRENIC because I'm ignored. I simply implied it - and that implication along with all this other symptoms and evidences of schizophrenia makes it justified in my mind. And the evidence is a "thought disorder" which I thought might of been obvious in my post. Meh... maybe I'm wrong and I just have a skewed perception.

Oh wait - Here's a symptom:
    Being irritable and argumentative. That's what people usually do during the onset of schizophrenia and what does it look like I'm doing now? Hmmmm.....

being irritable and argumentative can be the result of many conditions: depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder. One can be irritable and arguementative simply due to stress..OR simply because that';s the type of person they are. While schizophrenics can experience irritability and become arguementative like anyone else, it is not concidered a key symptom to the disorder and can't be used to determine a diagnosis of schizophrenia. In order to be diagnosed with schizophrenia, you must be experiencing usually 2 of the following:
    hallucinations
    delusions
    disorganized speech
    grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
    negative symptoms (affective flattening, alogia, avolition, etc.)

...but only one of these symptoms is required if it is that of a bizarre delusion or of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the persons behaviors/thoughts, or of two or more voices conversing with each other.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #75
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
    You are being extremely irrational. Irritable and argumentative? Can you say PMS?!? Again, you stated NO SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS OF SCHIZOPHRENIA. And here I thought I was clear. In case you missed my first point, I wrote it in large caps in the previous sentence.

"Maybe I do have schizophrenia? Schizophrenics usually are ignored because they're "crazy" or incoherent." Aren't YOU the one who wrote that? Yes, you did "imply" that. And we understood what you meant clearly. Which is why we stated that you were being an idiot. I'm sorry, I meant that you were being untruthful.

"...along with all this other symptoms and evidences..." Other symptoms and evidences? Why don't you point those out for us kittie. And while you're at it, you can tell me where you saw a thought disorder. All I saw was you using larger words that your vocabulary could comprehend, telling us every damn IQ score you ever recieved, and you going on about people "thinking you‘re eccentric".

Let me be your diagnostician for a second kittie. My final diagnosis would have to be Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Hyperchondrical Disorder and a severe case of Idiocy.

. I dont think you have the right to be calling kittie an idiot. what did she/he do to you? in fact, kittie seems to me to be quite intelligent. Kittie obviously thinks a lot and there is nothing wrong with that. Now, i remember before i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, i read up on all sorts of mental disorders and at times believed i had almost every one of them. And This often happens to people who are studying psychology because they over analyze everything about themselves .

I do agree that kittie didn;t list anything to suggest she/he has schizophrenia, but that seems to be what she came to find out. That;s why kittie asked our opinions Schizophrenia is very complicated and often difficult to diagnose. It took me 2 years of researching and reading almost every day to really understand the disorder.

Last edited by halfreality71; 03-27-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Closed Thread