It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #76
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
    Re: A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

Halfreality, you brought up an old post which has already been resolved. I appreciate your thoughts, but I'm not going to bring up old commentary.

And kittie, I'm glad you were able to get a professional to test you and to look over your suspicions. IQ tests are seeimingly difficult to read. I can't comment on your scores, because I wouldn't be surprised if you did indeed score high. When I took my tests, my IQ was scored higher than my grades would have shown through school. It's a large difference between studying something, doing the test and being scored and being tested on general applications in a different way.

It's good to hear that your symptoms aren't as close to schizophrenia as you suspected. Even though your symptoms can be troublesome, it is good to know that what you are experiencing is not (suspected) to be in result of such a disease.

I can understand that your symptoms, including memory loss, can be in result of your intelligence. But just remember even if that is so, you can still recieve help for your difficulties. You don't have to have a diagnosis and don't have to wait until it get's worse to get what you need to help you.

SGH

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 03-28-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #77
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
    I can understand that your symptoms, including memory loss, can be in result of your intelligence. But just remember even if that is so, you can still recieve help for your difficulties. You don't have to have a diagnosis and don't have to wait until it get's worse to get what you need to help you.

SGH
    A'int that the truth? Well-said, SGH. So many of us experience difficulties that are probably due to a mild form of mental illness, but since we never get a true diagnosis, we never look for help. It's quite sad how a piece of paper can change so many peoples' opinions about your troubles...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #78
    tiredofbingsick
    (female)

tiredofbingsick HB User

Well, this thread may be abandoned...not sure, but had to put my two cents in. Curiouskitty, if you have ever been around true schizophrenics, those not on meds, you would see that it is not a disorder that you could have and logically think "Hmmm, am I schizophrenic or not?" You sound so Autism Spectrum Disorder to me! The fact that you have perseverated on an idea for so long, regardless of what others have told you (the idea that you have schizophrenia) is a typical ASD trait! If you look at the DSM criteria for Asperger's, you will see that you do not have to have all traits to have the disorder.
    See below...
    A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
    2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
    3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
    4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
    2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
    3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
    4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #79
    halfreality71
    (female)

halfreality71 HB User

[QUOTE=sickofbingsick]Well, this thread may be abandoned...not sure, but had to put my two cents in. Curiouskitty, if you have ever been around true schizophrenics, those not on meds, you would see that it is not a disorder that you could have and logically think "Hmmm, am I schizophrenic or not?"

i have to disagree. Not all schizophrenics experience loss of insight. Especially in the early stages of the illness when the onset is slow.many people with schizophrenia are aware that they are ill...even when they aren't on meds. Schizophrenia comes in all ranges of severity, from mild to severe.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #80
    m25
    (female)

m25 HB User

deleted-----

Last edited by m25; 05-16-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #81
    tiredofbingsick
    (female)

tiredofbingsick HB User
    Smile Re: A review of the chronic question "Do I have schizophrenia?"

Sorry...I don't know how to quote from another's post, so I cut and pasted.
    halfreality wrote "i have to disagree. Not all schizophrenics experience loss of insight. Especially in the early stages of the illness when the onset is slow.many people with schizophrenia are aware that they are ill...even when they aren't on meds. Schizophrenia comes in all ranges of severity, from mild to severe."

I knew I would get myself in trouble with my blanket statement. Truth is, I have only ever been around people with schizophrenia who are experiencing true psychotic symptoms and are unable to self-evaluate. My point of the post was, if you look at the DSM criteria for schizophrenia versus asperger's or HFA, curiouskitty seems to meet more criteria for asperger's.

I posted Asperger's earlier, but here is schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia

A group of psychotic disorders characterized by disturbances in thought, perception, affect, behavior, and communication that last longer than 6 months.
    Symptoms. For a material part of at least one month (or less, if effectively treated) the patient has had 2 or more of:

Delusions (only one symptom is required if a delusion is bizarre, such as being abducted in a space ship from the sun)

Hallucinations (only one symptom is required if hallucinations are of at least two voices talking to one another or of a voice that keeps up a running commentary on the patient's thoughts or actions).

Speech that shows incoherence, derailment or other disorganization

Severely disorganized or catatonic behavior Any negative symptom such as flat affect, reduced speech or lack of volition.

Duration. For at least 6 continuous months the patient has shown some evidence of the disorder. At least one month must include the symptoms of frank psychosis mentioned above. During the balance of this time (either as a prodrome or residual of the illness), the patient must show either or both:

Negative symptoms as mentioned above.

In attenuated form, at least 2 of the other symptoms mentioned above (example: deteriorating personal hygiene plus an increasing suspicion that people are talking behind one's back).

Dysfunction. For much of this time, the disorder has materially impaired the patient's ability to work, study, socialize or provide self-care.

Anyways, m25, hope I didn't sound defensive, I do not have a mental illness. I am actually interested in asperger's b/c I think that my son may have it. There were a few links talking about schizophrenia and autism, so I was drawn to this board and threads.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #82
    m25
    (female)

m25 HB User

deleted------

Last edited by m25; 05-16-2006 at 04:36 AM.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #83
    tiredofbingsick
    (female)

tiredofbingsick HB User

Not trying to help...just gave my opinion since I work with kids with autism and may have one. Look at Asperger's which is debatably called "High Functioning Autism." My son's IQ is very high, his language skills are way past his age. He was 3 and using words appropriately as "otherwise," "perpendicular" etc. However, he does not initiate any peer interaction, does not reciprocate peer affection, and will stare into space when peers talk to him, etc. which his peers and their parents consider very rude.

Last edited by tiredofbingsick; 04-09-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #84
    curiouskittie
    (male)

curiouskittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by m25
    I know that you are trying to help, and I am really not trying to be mean, but in my opinion there is no possible way that this individual has Autism. In his first post he is there rambling on about his IQ, and Autism is characterised by a detachment which precludes that kind of desire to impress people.

Impudent Surmiser, you are. Assumptions may be convenient, but not always correct.

The original intent of the IQ score was to hopefully allow knowledgeable diagnosticians, professional and amateur, make certain risk judgements regarding probable diagnosis. An example of this is let's say that their was some study that some netizen read that stated "Over 30% of individuals above a certain IQ level has the possibility of developing a neurodegenerative disorder"; With this possibly important information of IQ, an element of cognition, it then MIGHT be linked to mental disorders in some way unbeknownst to me.

Though, I have difficulty disproving that it didn't entail some sort of boasting; Even if I tried to, that refutation obviously could be biased.

Last edited by curiouskittie; 04-16-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Closed Thread