It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• depersonalisation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    depersonalisation

Hi eveyone,

I suffer from psychotic depression (not schoziphrenia) and depersonalisation. I was wondering if anyone here has found any medication/therapy that is effective against depersonalisation. I've had it for nearly tens years now, and have yet to find anything that treats it effectively -- and I've been on various anti-psychotics (seroquel, olanzapine, abilify) and anti-depressants (citalopram, cipralex, zoloft).

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Best,

Dave_81

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
    i-be-peabody
    (female)

i-be-peabody HB User
    Re: depersonalisation

Oh.. well actually, I'd like to hear this too. I find that not only does my medication lend itself to depersonalization, but so does my illness.

I'm sorry this response isn't the least bit helpful but I just wanted to also know if anyone had any insight on this?

peace
    pea

Old 01-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
    Ksoup798
    (female)

Ksoup798 HB User

i am not schizofrentic either. i suffer from depersonalization. i dont know wat to to tell you to make it better, because the only reason i read this post was in hopes someone else knew how to cure it. ive tried medication for it and it seems to make it worse. id say learning to deal with it, and regular therapy are the only realistic things to do. sorry i dont have a great answerr.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like a lot of people are looking for a cure for this bloody disorder.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could describe what your depersonalisation is like -- because I wanted to see if we're kinda going through the same thing. Thankfully I don't suffer from derealisation (which seems to go hand in hand with depersonalisatrion) -- the feeling that the outside world is unreal. The best way I can describe my depersonalisation is to say that it involves a radical alteration in my sense of self. It's as though I've lost my sense of self -- as though there is no longer an 'inner nucleus' which is me. I know that all this sounds a bit abstract, but there really is no other way in which I can describe my depersonalisation. (I read that it's almost impossible to describe what depersonalisation is like to someone who doesn't suffer from it). I also sometimes feel as though my body doesn't belong to me -- as though I'm encased in something alien. I especially get the feeling that my arms and hands don't belong to me. Another way I can describe this is to say it's as though I don't completely 'fill out' my arms and hands.

I'd also like to ask what triggered your depersonalisation. Mine started after a very traumatic event that occurred during my teenage years. (It stared when I was 15; I'm 24 now).

Best,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 01-29-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Depersonalization is a common symptom of panic attacks/panic disorder. Usually, the benzodiazepines can help with this problem. Maybe you should ask your doctor if a benzo would help you? Do you find that the depersonalization is a response to fear during your hallucinations/delusions? If so, it's probably panic attack-related. I don't have a psychosis, but I do have severe panic attacks (having one right now, in fact! lol! ) associated with my OCD. Good luck and God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User

Hey Gatsby!

My depersonalisation isn't a response to fear during my auditory hallucinations (voices); it's effects me all of the time: it just kind of remains at a constant level -- although it does sometimes get worse when I become really anxious.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Do you think maybe, since your depersonalization is a constant phenomenon, that it could be a derivation of the psychotic symptoms? Sort of like a tactile hallucination? Asking about the use of a benzo may still work for the symptoms, though. Feel better!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-29-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Closed Thread