It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Benadryl helps prevent Tardive Dyskinesia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
    hastrix
    (male)

hastrix HB User
    Benadryl helps prevent Tardive Dyskinesia

The disorder known as Tardive Dyskinesia (caused by some medications such as Risperdal {Risperidone}) can be prevented by taking 25mg-50mg of Benadryl (Diphenhyramine) per day according to another web-site. Ask your healthcare provider about it.

Last edited by hastrix; 02-25-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: Benadryl helps prevent Tardive Dyskinesia

I didn't know this, but Risperdal, being an atypical anti-psychotic, is not known to cause tardive dyskinesia. It, along with others like it such as Seroquel and Zyprexa, are more modern and were actually designed to stop such intense side effects as tardive dyskinesia. The traditional anti-psychotics, most notably Thorazine and Haldol, are the medications that cause tardive dyskinesia, and they are rarely used anymore because of this very reason. Usually, a patient will only take Thorazine or Haldol for one of three reasons: they are given an injection to be hospitalized when they are severely psychotic, no other medications have been effective, or they have a particularly severe case of schizophrenia, most often the disorganized type.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Exactly Gatsby. It's more common for older antipsychotics to cause TD. Medications such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
    thioridazine (Mellaril), trifluoperazine (Stelazine), perphe****ne (Trilafon), fluphe****ne (Prolixin), thiothixene (Navane), haloperidol (Haldol) and pimozide (Orap). Although for newer medications it isn't impossible. Meds like Abilify and even Risperdal can cause TD, even though it is extremely rare.

SGH

Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
    washee

washee HB User

Am in agreement with both other posts. There is no drug that helps with TD, it is not reversable, only action is to D/C drug. TD is almost non- existant with the newer A-typical neuroleptics. There is however the condition of EPS, which a drug called Benztropine/Cogentin will help to alleviate the symptoms

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
    tiredmama3
    (female)

tiredmama3 HB User

My son who is 12 was having the mouth movements with risperdal, we decrease it a little and it was gone. When that med stopped working, we tried Geodon, but when we upped it he was having jerking movements with his shoulders, since we decreased it, it's been gone. So it does happen with the newer ones. Maybe not as often.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
    2BNormal
    (male)

2BNormal HB User

I disagree. Risperdal can cause TD. Reducing the quanity will lesson the effects for a prolonged time, but eventually will catch up again. Its a matter of time. Thats one of the reasons they prescribe Benztropine/Cogentin. Talk to your doctor for the straight scoop.

I do agree, there is no drug that cures TD, it is not reversable and one of the early signs is jerking movements with his shoulders, lower arms and hands, and a progressive hair lip sound with S's due to speech slurring with use of the tongue.

Ask your doctor about Invega, same family as Risperdal with less effects for TD.

I also agree with the older meds that they cause TD in a much faster rate. I would also have his blood tested on a quarterly basis as other problems can be caused by taking these meds such as high blood pressure and the dreaded diabeties.

Closed Thread