It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Zyprexa w/o appetite increase?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
    Msszsingle
    (female)

Msszsingle HB User
    Zyprexa w/o appetite increase?

Has anyone honestly taken Zyprexa without an astounding increase in appetite? I know the latest studies show that the efficacy of Zyprexa may indeed depend on weight gain. Maybe it is dependent on your percentage of body fat, I don't remember. Anyway, I gained a lot of weight while on it, and lost a lot of weight when I switched to Seroquel for a while. Now I am back on the Zyprexa as of 2 days ago and am waiting for the BIG APPETITE to strike again. It also makes me terribly sleepy.
    Msszsingle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
    dave_81
    (male)

dave_81 HB User
    Re: Zyprexa w/o appetite increase?

I too noticed a huge increase in appetite when on this drug. (I took it for psychotic depression.) I used to eat twice as for dinner every night! It didn't work for me so I switched to seroquel, which made me sleep for 20hrs a day!
    Now I'm on abilify, which doesn't make you sleepy and doesn't cause weight gain.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
    Mortician
    (female)

Mortician HB User

i was on zyprexa for almost 2 years.
    when i started it i was 105 pounds, and within a month i blew up to 185...
    IN A MONTH
    that pill is horrible.
    it screws up your thyroid and makes you gain weight. and you cant help it
    i found when i took it my neck swelled up. and the doctoras cheched my thyroid for a thyroid disorder. and there was none.

zyprexa is banned in some places because it can cause heart pallipatations and even heart attack. if you can avoid this drug i suggest you do.
    plus.... by slight chance a doctor has mis-diagnosed you and you have been taking this for a long time......you become dependant on it for the fact that when you stop... schizophrenia ect is worse.

its a very expensive drug at that. and every doctor around here seems to pass it out like candy. it makes you a total zombie. and ALL you want to do is sleep forever.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
    caitwalker
    (female)

caitwalker HB User

My doctor placed me on Zyprexa 3 months ago. First he started me on 5 mg, but that didn't help my symptoms. I noticed that I was sleeping for about 12 hours a day, an increase from 7 hours a night before taking the drug. I noticed that I became hungry all the time, and I didn't have any energy to exercise, even though I was getting 5 more hours of sleep per night.

Within 2 months I went from 130 lbs to 178, but my symptoms still persisted. My doctor raised my medication to 10 mg, and my god! What a big mistake that was! From 178 I went up to 191 in 3 weeks! I started sleeping more too, 18 hours a day! I also lost all sex drive and it had affected my marriage a lot. I had to leave my job and go on unemployment because I couldn't even get out of bed! I also stopped being able to breathe through my nose. I started snoring at night too (which I have never done)!

My doctor said he would take me off my medication by my next visit if I was still gaining weight, but I decided to stop it myself. I know it was a bad idea to do that, and I have relapsed twice in the past four weeks, but I am back to sleeping 7 hours a day, and within 3 weeks I dropped 16 pounds. Also, the drug wasn't really helping to reduce my symptoms anyways. I stopped seeing halusinations and that is about it. The auditory symptoms were still there and the constant withdrawl from the world was still present.

Now everyone keep in mind that I was almost 200 pounds on this drug, and I am only 5'1.

I don't think this drug should be on the market, and if it remains it should clearly state that the main side effects are lethergy, weight gain, and increased appitite. I am so mad that I have gone from a size 3 to plus sized clothing in 3 months! I have ugly stretch marks all over my back stomach and thighs from gaining so much weight so quickly. I have chronic knee and hip pain associated with rapid weight gain now. I need to take perscription pain medication to get though the day. Also the pain keeps me up at night. I hate the look of my body now, and wish I could do something to let the creators of this drug know how badly it affects those on it.

I have a doctor's appointment next week but I am afraid to go on anything different. I seem to always get some of the worst side-effects from taking medications (though I have been taking birth control pills for 10 years and never gained a pound till now).

Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #5
    frankiefloris
    (female)

frankiefloris HB User

Hi, I have been taking zyprexa for about a month now and I haven't put on any weight yet. I do feel really tired all the time though.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
    ChinaDragon
    (male)

ChinaDragon HB User

I am taking Zypexa and was fortunate not to have a large appetite increase. There was a slight increase at first though that then decreased. I did have a weight gain though quite moderate. I think some of that came from being less agitated (as I was very) and generally slowing down due to the sedative effect of the drug. I have found that that is manageable and is far out weighed by the benefits of taking the drug. I did feel tired a lot when I first started taking the drug (I started on 15mg daily and dropped to 10mg after about 9 months). I have been taking Zyprexa for about 3 1/2 years and have found I have gradually needed less sleep as time has gone by. I know that is a long time but I have really noticed the difference. I find that drug has had a very beneficial effect on the symptoms of my illness (diagnosed as schizophrenic) reducing racing thoughts I would have and delusions about the world around me.
    I understand that the drug has different effects on different people and a lot of the posts are giving info on negative effects, though feel as Zypexa has had a beneficial effect on me I wanted to let people know it can work very well.

Closed Thread