HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Schizophrenia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/)
-   -   What's the difference between Schizophrenia and Depression w/ Psychosis? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/386943-whats-difference-between-schizophrenia-depression-w-psychosis.html)

CerebralChaos 04-28-2006 01:39 PM

What's the difference between Schizophrenia and Depression w/ Psychosis?

I ask this because I was recently told I have major depression with psychotic features. (I have a thread in the depression board involving this, also.)

Where is the line drawn? I was in a mental hospital for all of last week due to a chain of events that lead to a nervous breakdown.. Here's a vastly summarized list, in chronological order:

-noticed my vision being "sharper"; the weird lights and colors I had been seeing recently were intensified. I thought it was a "sign" that I was on a quest, for something. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was an incarnated extraterrestial from another galaxy, here for a very important mission to help save humanity, among other things. I believed that every song I listened to was singing directly to me.
-I had racing thoughts, I researched extraterrestials and astronomy constantly. When I wasn't doing that, I was just staring at the walls for hours on end, or at my hands, watching various shapes, shadows and colors floating around. Fascinated. At night I stared at the sky and tried to telepathically contact beings from my home planet. Considered suicide at one point, believing I would reincarnate on my planet instead.
-A few days later, I saw four shadows appear in the backyard, morphing into different shapes that followed me everywhere; then it took the form of an odd-looking, non-human face on the wall, speaking some strange tongue; I felt it touch my head and.. implant? something in my neck. I kept trying to communicate with it, even resorting to drawing pictures.. Even making two of my friends come over to "help" me establish contact.
-(same day)We went out to eat, and it seemed like everyone was an automaton, being fed and fattened to be butchered. There just this horrible, dark undertone.. It felt like I was peering through the eyes of a mannequin.. or something. But, later, curiousity turned into paranoia and I had panic attack after panic attack until I was completely hysterical, feeling a VERY profound sense of impending doom. I ended up at the hospital not too long after.

And that's basically it. The thing is, in the back of my mind I still wholeheartedly believe that everything I saw/felt was real, though half of me disagrees. So I don't know.

Thoughts?

SuchGreatHeight 04-28-2006 08:07 PM

Re: What's the difference between Schizophrenia and Depression w/ Psychosis?

I can't post much, so sorry for the quick post. But to answer your question, Major Depression with Psychotic Features is when you have psychosis [I]only during [/I] a depressed mood. Schizophrenia itself doesn't have a mood component, and deals with psychosis all the time. Schzoaffective Disorder Major Depresive Type however, is when a person has Schizophrenia (psychosis all the time) and Major Depression.

SGH

CerebralChaos 04-28-2006 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=SuchGreatHeight]I can't post much, so sorry for the quick post. But to answer your question, Major Depression with Psychotic Features is when you have psychosis [I]only during [/I] a depressed mood. Schizophrenia itself doesn't have a mood component, and deals with psychosis all the time. Schzoaffective Disorder Major Depresive Type however, is when a person has Schizophrenia (psychosis all the time) and Major Depression.

SGH[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Hmm.. Well, I'm not depressed constantly, and during the last episode I was doing fine, not depressed really. As for the smaller things I see, I see those regardless of what my mood is. Ah well.

rosequartz 04-28-2006 10:05 PM

I dunno....I'm thinking Schizotypal Personality Disorder?
Here's the lowdown.....what do you think?

Schizotypal Personality Disorder
A pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with, and reduced capacity for, close relationships as well as by cognitive or perceptual distortions and eccentricities of behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)
suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
inappropriate or constricted affect
behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

What made me think that is the odd beliefs regarding the extra-terresterials....does the other stuff fit?

CerebralChaos 04-29-2006 06:32 AM

rosequartz: Yes, that fits entirely; particularly the social isolation. Thanks for the info. I think I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week, so I suppose I'll find out eventually.

GatsbyLuvr1920 04-30-2006 07:31 AM

If you're having racing thoughts, irritability, restlessness, anxiety, and diminished sleep while having hallucinations/delusions and a lack of energy, apathy, and suicidal thinking, you might be having a mixed bipolar episode rather than just experiencing psychotic depression. You might want to ask your psychiatrist about that possibility. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! God bless! :angel:
-GatsbyLuvr1920-