It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• I know this get's asked a lot....(newbie in need of advice)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
    WillowBrook
    (female)

WillowBrook HB User
    Unhappy I know this get's asked a lot....(newbie in need of advice)

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, opinions, input etc etc and I do realise that nobody can diagnose me online and that it would be very remiss of anyone to actually try and do that, I'm just looking for people's thoughts as to what they think may be happening.

Anyway I've spoken to my Doctor and he says just severe anxiety but I'm not sure....it feels different, it feels as if there is something else going on.....not schizophrenia, but perhaps something similar but not quite as bad???? sorry I don't know how to explain it.

For the past couple of years I have been getting periodic auditory and visual hallucinations...in the last 6 months the frequency of these has increased to almost daily....not all the time but at least once a day or more often several times a day I will have some sort of auditory or visual hallucination....the visual hallucinations range from seeing actual people and animals to just vague black shapes and the auditory ones usually consist of two or more people chattering like listening to a radio long distance...sometimes I get the sensation of a radio playing in my head and occasionally I will hear my name being called...apart from this I find myself getting extremely paranoid, people following me, cameras, sattelites etc tracking me, being watched and laughed at....when this paranoia gets to extremes I am terrifed of people coming through the walls and windows to get me and that there might be people hiding in the ceiling waiting to attack me or my husband....mny thoughts have been really strange as well, for example one night I thought that a statue in my house might have been transmitting messages to another statue to attack me and sometimes I find myself trying to hear or see messages in things...like the position of something in relation to something else and what does that reveal to me..it's like feeling as if if you could just work the message out you would know the answer to everything......Now the thing is I do know that none of this is real, but it doesn't stop me from having the thoughts and hallucinations and it doesn't stop me from thinking but what if it is true, safer not to risk it when deep down I know it's just my mind being ****ed up.

Also I'm finding myself feeling more and more withdrawn...sort of cut off from the rest of the world. It's hard for me to communicate with people and often I just don't want to. Also having trouble with words and speech....like I've got a brain stutter, I can't find the words or get them out properly sometimes and sometimes there is this stupid chorus (from my thoughts not an auditory hallucination) of rhyming words, nonsense stuff, made up words.....it's getting very frustrating.

Edited to Add: - I am 33 almost 34 years old and female if that makes any difference??? and I take no illicit drugs...only prescription medication is Tramadol for chronic pain and Deptran for Anxiety and mild Depression.

Last edited by WillowBrook; 08-18-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User
    Re: I know this get's asked a lot....(newbie in need of advice)

Hi WillowBrook,

If it looks like, walks like, sounds like a duck...it's a duck. In other words it sounds like schizophenia to me or schizoaffective since you say you also have depression. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective over 10 years ago and I can identify with your symptoms. I've had some success with Risperdal.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
    WillowBrook
    (female)

WillowBrook HB User

My doctor had me on Seroquel for anxiety and the paranoia and it worked really well...it felt like I was just normal, really surprised me....no voices, hallucinations, confused thoughts etc....I loved being on it, but I started to get the first signs of tardive dyskensia so I was taken off it. Part of me does suspect Schizophrenia or similar....I mean it just doesn't feel like Anxiety, I've had a pretty severe anxiety disorder for 10 or so years now but the last 6 months in particular have felt different...not like my usual anxiety or depression....It's like I know something isn't right but I'm scared of what that something might be. The main reason I can't really bring myself to accept the possibility of Sz is because I am not out of touch with reality....I know the hallucinations aren't real and I know the thoughts and paranoia are all in my head, even if I am stuck inside too scared to open the curtains or look at the windows for fear of what I might see (or what might be looking at me) I do know that it's not real....I'll be telling myself all the time, stop being so stupid this is not real, you know it's not real.....I thought people with Sz didn't always know there hallucinations etc weren't real????

Old 08-19-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User

I only have audio hallucinations. At first I tried to think of all kinds of explanations for how I was hearing voices, but after awhile I began to accept it wasn't real. A hallucination is a hallucination whether you believe them or not. I also experience paranoid thoughts. I know they aren't true but that doesn't stop them from passing though my mind once in awhile. So yes, schizophrenics can know their hallucinations aren't real. Those are the ones who are probably best able to stick with their treatment.

That is unfortunate that you began to experience tardive dyskinesia. I would definitely stay away from antipsychotics after that experience. I'm no expert but I would think an antianxiety med would help some. Hang in there and don't suffer silently, but be patient, it may take your doctor awhile to find the right treatment for you through trial and error.

Last edited by barney64; 08-19-2006 at 06:02 AM.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
    WillowBrook
    (female)

WillowBrook HB User

Well my Doctor seems to think I was only getting those symptoms because I was on too high a dose....he wants me to try again on a lower dosage, but I'm reluctant to....not only because of the TD stuff but also the binging and weight gain it induced (I am in recovery for an Eating Disorder). I have tried SSRI Antidepressants before but they induce manic reactions in me (Effexor landed me in hospital after the first dosage)...they assessed me for Biploar because of my reactions to these meds but it was ascertained that I am definitely not Bipolar. I was also on Xanax for several years but developed paradoxical reactions to it and started feeling as if it was making me worse so I withdrew from that....also took Valium for a while but also developed paradoxical reactions, have come off of Serepax about 2 months ago (the hallucinations etc have been present both before and after tapering off Serepax) and I have no desire to ever go back on Benzo's. Currently the Deptran is working ok for Anxiety and helping me to sleep a bit better, but I'm still experiencing the other weird symptoms.

Actually had a really bad night with hallucinations....I went for a walk because I was feeling a bit restless and anxious. I saw a metal shaped object hanging in a tree which I thought was some sort of weird electronic contraption and this other mechanical looking robotic animal...which turned out to be just the streetlights and telegraph wires, then I saw a grey wolf like creature in the shadows, a bush at a distance which briefly turned into a baby dinosaur, somebody's blinds in their house looked as if there was a movie being projected onto it (couldn't see what it was) as well just a general sense of derealisation....is this what other Schizophrenics experience, I mean does this sound like something you or someone else on the board might experience???

Old 08-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User

I can understand your reluctance to trying another antipsychotic, I would be too. But if your doctor thinks it's safe to try one at a lower dose I would give it a try. The atypical antipsychotics like the one you were taking are less likely to cause TD.

I have never had a visual hallucination but some schizophrenics do. Audio hallucinations are more common I believe.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on all this?

Last edited by barney64; 08-19-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User

Hold on WillowBrook, I just looked up Tramadol on the Internet and one of the possible side effects is hallucinations. Were you having hallucinations before you started the Tramadol?

I looked up Deptran too. It also lists hallucinations as a possible side effect.

Last edited by barney64; 08-19-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
    WillowBrook
    (female)

WillowBrook HB User

Experienced symptoms after, but I had already been taking both medications on and off for a couple of years before any of these hallucinatory symptoms started...also I have had hallucinations (auditory and visual) whether I have taken Tramadol or Deptran or not....It's something I will definitely mention to my Doctor though, definitely not discounting it as a reason for what's happening, thanks so much for your help

Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
    j_inks
    (male)

j_inks HB User

I am new to this forum but I am not new to psychosis. You are the first person I have seen that also sees animals. I have had this problem for about 14 years (I am 33 now) and it is really scary. I also see people who talk about me with each other and yell at me. I was diagnosed as schizoaffective depressive type about 6 years ago. I have been on just about every antidepressant and antipsychotic out there and am currently on Abilify, Lamictal, Buspar and Cymbalta. None of these have any serious side effects for me. Keep trying different medications until you find something that helps.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
    cranberryjuice
    (male)

cranberryjuice HB User

I would go back to the point in time when this started occuring.....

I got off my medication at some point and the same thing started occuring...

What my opinion is is that your brain loves one of your medications and wants it again... so it's throwing warning signs perhaps... or perhaps is trying to get you sick enough to be put in the hospital...

something out there you may need for your brain.....

solve the problem and maybe you don't even have to wear the title schizoprhenic.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
    WillowBrook
    (female)

WillowBrook HB User

Just checking back in to say thank you and Cranberry I can definitely see the point your trying to make....I'm back on Deptran (Antidepressant) and that is helping the anxiety, but I'm still experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations, and my thought process feels very fragemented...hard to explain properly but I just feel weird, like not in a usual anxious or depressed weird but can't make sense of my head weird. Sorry I'm not explaining myself properly...something I am finding very frustrating, not being able to express stuff it feels like I've got a brain stutter like there's some sort of blocking in my mind going on....anyway I am currently waiting for approval for disability (for my anxiety which is considered severe) and then I should have access to some free psych evaluation so I'll see somebody then. I've been keeping a journal of my symptoms to aid in diagnosis....anyway thanks again

Closed Thread