It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Age of diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
    RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst HB User
    Age of diagnosis

Is there an age limit to diagnosing schizophrenia- such as you have to be over 18 to get that diagnosis or can it be diagnosed at any age?

Thanks in advance.

RA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User
    Re: Age of diagnosis

Average age for onset of schizophrenia is late teens to late twenties. Usually earlier for men than women. Schizophrenia can be diagnosed at other ages but it is rare.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
    mh51867
    (female)

mh51867 HB User
    Re: Age of diagnosis

I'm a mom of a 16 year old diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. He was diagnosed at the age of 9. I run a support group message board and know of many other children similarly diagnosed. I think it isn't quite as rare but rather that people don't typically get diagnosed until later. My son, for one, thought *everyone* heard voices and saw things that weren't there. He didn't tell us for years he was experiencing these things. He has very, very early memories of being tormented by his voices and hallucinations.

I've heard many adults with sz say that as children they experienced symptoms, but didn't tell their parents or didn't know it was not normal, so didn't say anything about the symptoms.

Closed Thread