It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• serious side effects- advice welcome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
    adeflorio84
    (female)

adeflorio84 HB User
    serious side effects- advice welcome

Hi all,
    I wanted to talk about some of the side effects of antipsychotics which have personally effected me and may have effected others as well. All of the medications I have been on have made my eyes occasionally roll uncontrollably upward. This is an uncomfortable sensation, not to mention the embarassment that I feel when this happens in public. It's hard to explain to people that you have an unusual eye conditon. On my current medication, abilify, that conditon just comes on about once every two weeks for about 3 hours each time, and is usually brought on by stress.

Now I have developed a second eye condition, and this time it is much more serious. My new condition is called blepharospasm, also known as uncontrollable blinking of the eyelids. It happens every day for most of the day, and affects my ability to work, enjoy myself, and basically function. I am getting botox injections in my eyelids to try to calm their blinking, but it has only somewhat helped. I have to stay on my medication because I know it is better than the other ones for my particular condition, and it almost completely gets rid of the voices. Give me advice, or wish me luck!
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
    FlyingHi
    (female)

FlyingHi HB User
    Re: serious side effects- advice welcome

Adel, I have never experienced those side effects, but I've had vomiting, headaches, muscle aches, missed periods... if the side effects are too severe they should take you off the medicine and put you on something else. If you are not comforatable, you do not have to stay that way. Ask your doctor about it, do not be afraid to voice your opinion. Remember this is your life. This is your illness and you need to take care of it the way you are comfortable. Be WellxooxMeg

Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
    emeraldeyes114
    Inactive
    (female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

I agree with Meg that you have a voice in this matter of your own welfare. While I have not had that bad of a problem with the meds when I was on them I did have sinus tachycardia or rather a fast heartbeat and they had to take me off. A few others that were more bothersome then problem and a few meds that just didn't work well for me. The sad thing is that you have a med that is doing what you need it too but is giving you some not so fun (as if any of the side effects are fun) problems. Talk to the pdoc and be firm in your resolve of what you want versus not want. I hope the situation gets better.

Deb

Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
    Sophia85
    (female)

Sophia85 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adeflorio84 View Post
    Hi all,
    I wanted to talk about some of the side effects of antipsychotics which have personally effected me and may have effected others as well. All of the medications I have been on have made my eyes occasionally roll uncontrollably upward. This is an uncomfortable sensation, not to mention the embarassment that I feel when this happens in public. It's hard to explain to people that you have an unusual eye conditon. On my current medication, abilify, that conditon just comes on about once every two weeks for about 3 hours each time, and is usually brought on by stress.
    I have this side effect on Abilify as well. I've found that if I take a dose of Xanax or Ativan when it starts it tends to go away rather quickly as it is usually brought on by anxiety/stress. But thanks for posting this as I thought I was the only one having this condition.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
    adeflorio84
    (female)

adeflorio84 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sophia85 View Post
    I have this side effect on Abilify as well. I've found that if I take a dose of Xanax or Ativan when it starts it tends to go away rather quickly as it is usually brought on by anxiety/stress. But thanks for posting this as I thought I was the only one having this condition.
    I'm already taking lorazepam and buspar to lower my stress, but my eye condition is persistent and is growing worse and worse. I have Tardive Blepharospasm, not just Benign Essential Blepharospasm. My psychiatrist wants me to go on Clozaril, because it could potentially reverse my condition, but it has some really awful side effects. Tomorrow I will be getting a second round of botox injections in my eyelids. I will wait a week or two, and if the botox has not alleviated my blepharospasm sufficiently, I will go on Clozaril. Have you been on Clozaril before? I'm curious to know someone's personal experience of it.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
    barney64
    (male)

barney64 HB User

I took Clozaril for a few months. I didn't have any bothersome side effects but I did grow tired of the required weekly blood test. That is when I switched to Risperdal which I have taken since 1993. Risperdal has been a Godsend for me.

Last edited by barney64; 08-07-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Closed Thread