It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• what is my correct diagnosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
    DiSsOcIaTiVe
    (female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User
    what is my correct diagnosis?

hello,

i'm a 22 year old female who has been diagnosed with complex PTSD and Major Depression. my current meds are Lexapro 20mg, Solian 1000mg and i've just started on Epilim 600mg.

over the years i have had episodes of psychosis and been admitted to hospital on many occasions usually for my own safety. my psychiatrist does not think i have schizophrenia. she believes all of this is due to trauma i experienced as a young child. but i believe there is something more than complex PTSD at work here, as does my mother.

i guess i should tell you a bit about what i experience and you can tell me your thoughts.

first off i hear voices. this episode i've been in for the past 2 months i've heard only one voice and it's been telling me some horrible things. it tells me i am the chosen one and God wants me to kill myself to be with him and do his will. it comments on my thoughts and tells me to harm myself and also puts me down. it's getting to be so much to deal with and the anti-psychotics don't seem to be helping a great deal. i also hear noises like the front door opening, or the car driving in the driveway, but there's nothing there.

i also have times where i see water turn into blood. this is very scary, as i'm usually in the shower or bath when this happens. i also see this little flying pixie thing, which looks harmless until it charges at me and bares it's teeth. i also see dark shadows which follow me around. i also see a lot of things out of the corner of my eye which are gone when i look there.

the first time i saw something i was about 10 and the first time i heard a voice i was about 16. there were years where i had nothing, but they are the times i remember clearly.

i also get paranoid about things. lately i've been scared when i see an ambulance or police car as i believe they're going to take me away. i also feel like people are messing with my thoughts...usually in crowded places like shopping centres...it's like they're reading my thoughts and placing thoughts in there. this isn't helped by the fact that the voice comments on all of this.

the medication i'm on is expensive (AU$400 a month) and i can't get it cheaper as my psychiatrist is not prepared to say i have schizophrenia when she doesn't believe i do (even though she said i would be diagnosed schizophrenic if i went into hospital)

i hope someone can offer some ideas. do you think it's schizophrenia or schizo affective? or is my doctor right with complex PTSD?

thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
    Andrea84
    (female)

Andrea84 HB User
    Re: what is my correct diagnosis?

Is it possible to get another psychiatric opinion? I can see why you and your mother think that complex PTSD doesn't account for all the symptoms.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
    neon_dreamer
    (female)

neon_dreamer HB User

Hi,

I'm not a pdoc (psychiatrist), so can't give you a diagnosis.

However, I can tell you that I've experienced many of the same symptoms you've described and I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type.

I've had paranoia for the past 10 years which centers around the idea that people are following me, watching me through cameras installed in my apartment (or in the headlights of traffic passing in front of my apartment complex) or poisoning my food. I've also been afraid of being sent to jail for crimes I did not commit.

It wasn't until I experienced my first manic episode last year that I was given meds to help with the paranoia.

I also hear voices. I heard at least 10 of them last year during my manic episode. They were the voices of my friends, family and strangers. Some of them commented on whatever I was doing at the moment, some spoke of death and persecution and others commanded me. For example, one told me to ingest an entire bottle of Tylenol.

It's interesting that you should hear other sounds that aren't there. For the past 2 years this has also happened to me. Some of the sounds I've heard included a car engine turning over repeatedly, people talking and door knocking.

I didn't realize what was happening to me until I called my sister at 4:30 in the morning in a panic insisting that my phone line was bugged. When she came to my home the next day, she begged me to see a doctor, but I refused.

She finally had to call the police to take me to the hospital where I was involuntarily admitted for a little over a month. My pdoc diagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder and explained that it was caused by the stress of surgery I had a month prior as well as not eating or sleeping for over a week.

I've been on meds (500 mg of Depakote twice a day and 4 mg of Risperdal) ever since last year's hospitalization and no longer experience hallucinations or paranoia. My medications have done an excellent job of keeping me stable. I'm also in bi-weekly therapy, so that helps as well.

I don't know if my post helps you at all, but I thought I'd share my symptoms. Perhaps you can use them as a basis of comparison.

It might not hurt to get a second opinion. From what I've read about people who are hospitalized for auditory hallucinations, it's not uncommon for diagnoses to differ from one pdoc to another.

For example, one pdoc could diagnose the person as bipolar with psychosis, another as schizoaffective and still another as schizophrenic.

In addition, schizoaffective disorder tends to be a controversial diagnosis for some pdocs -- not all of them are willing to make this diagnosis because they don't consider it a separate illness from bipolar or schizophrenia.

If you don't mind my asking, how many antipsychotics have you tried? Is there a possibility you could try something else than what you are currently on? When I was hospitalized last year, my pdoc had to try 2 different antipsychotics (and a variety of dosages) before settling on the one I have now. Even when I was finally put on Risperdal, my dosage had to be adjusted several times before we found a dose that helped relieve my symptoms.

Hope this information helps!

neon_dreamer

Last edited by neon_dreamer; 07-24-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
    FlyingHi
    (female)

FlyingHi HB User

I know a lot of people put a big emphasis on a diagnosis, but like neon said, every psych. is different and they all will diagnosis you differently, so what you should concentrate on, is getting better. Drugs do help, but you also have to train your mind not to fall victim to the voices you hear. If you cannot get your drugs because of a wrong diagnosis, then go to another doc. You sound to me Schiz. Especially because of the voices. I have that, some linger after and episode, but I tell them to go away and do not entertain them and that helps. I also have PTSD from childhood and I do believe our childhood comes back to haunt us and manifests itself in mental illness. That's why it is so important to be good to your kids. I wish you the best and get another opinion, be well Fly

Old 07-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
    emeraldeyes114
    Inactive
    (female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

I do agree with the previous posters and do think a new pdoc and a second opinion is in order. I have Bipolar I and though I do hear voices, have halluncinations I also have the paranoia as Neon described. It at times is enough to rip my mind to pieces. I do try to argue with it as Fly suggested and not feed it. However, I do have family members who have in the past fed it very well and seem to think it is nothing to worry about. I would get a second opinion asap. It sounds like you need to try either different meds or some additional ones.
    Deb

Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
    Dr Stein
    Inactive
    (male)

Dr Stein HB User

you started to see things at age 10?

hear things at age 16?

tell me more if you can

Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
    DiSsOcIaTiVe
    (female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

hey, thanks everyone for your replies.

i think i should probably get a second opinion aswell, or maybe try talking to my pdoc more about it. i don't really know what she thinks is causing these hallucinations and stuff. she's only said it's because of past trauma, which i don't really buy.

neon-dreamer, thanks for sharing your story. i can certainly see parts of myself in there, although i have never been manic before. in past episodes i have heard more than one voice, but lately i've just heard the one.

i've been on a few different anti psychotics. zyprexa worked well for me except the weight gain. the solian doesn't seem to be working.

Dr Stein, i don't know what more you want me to tell you really. at 10 i saw a flying pixie which used to come and visit me while i sat on the grass in the playground at school alone.

the first time i heard a voice it told me to harm myself and this is when i started self harming.

i do believe the complex ptsd diagnosis is correct, but this other stuff doesn't seem to fit in my opinion. i just think my doctor is keen to use my past as reason for all of this now. can past trauma cause hallucinations or psychosis?

i'm not too caught up in a diagnosis really. my main reason for wanting to know is so i can get my meds cheaper, cos atm i'm leaning on my parents to pay over $100 a week for meds, plus my therapy bills.

thanks,
    DiSsOcIaTiVe

Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
    neon_dreamer
    (female)

neon_dreamer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiSsOcIaTiVe View Post
    neon-dreamer, thanks for sharing your story. i can certainly see parts of myself in there, although i have never been manic before. in past episodes i have heard more than one voice, but lately i've just heard the one.

i've been on a few different anti psychotics. zyprexa worked well for me except the weight gain. the solian doesn't seem to be working.
    ND: I'll be crossing my fingers that it won't be long before you and your pdoc are able to find an antipsychotic that works well for you!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiSsOcIaTiVe View Post
    can past trauma cause hallucinations or psychosis?
    ND: Yes, past physical and/or emotional trauma can cause psychosis, but there are other causes including stress, sleep deprivation, illness, mania, head injury and alcohol/drug use.

neon_dreamer

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-27-2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: editing quote

Old 07-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
    DiSsOcIaTiVe
    (female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

thanks neon_dreamer. i too hope we can find an anti-psychotic which works.

do you know more about how trauma leads to psychosis? what would this usually be diagnosed as?

i've met people online who have PTSD and schizo-affective disorder and wonder if i'm maybe in the same boat. my pdoc doesn't seem to think so though.

thanks again.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
    neon_dreamer
    (female)

neon_dreamer HB User

dissociative,

To be honest, I don't know the specific reasons why trauma leads to psychosis.

However, psychosis can be diagnosed in any number of ways including the following:

Brief reactive psychosis: Psychosis that lasts for a month or less and is caused by stress.

Depression with psychotic features: A condition which causes depression and psychosis.

Bipolar with psychosis: Psychosis that is caused by (and only experienced during) a manic episode.

Schizoaffective disorder: Psychosis must be present for at least 2 weeks in the absence of mood symptoms.

PTSD with psychotic features.

Diagnoses for schizoaffective disorder tends to be a controversial diagnosis for some pdocs. Not all pdocs see schizoaffective disorder as being a separate entity from bipolar or schizophrenia.

neon_dreamer

Last edited by neon_dreamer; 07-28-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
    DiSsOcIaTiVe
    (female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

hey, thanks neon_dreamer.

i'm still going through this stuff and my docs are seriously considering hospitalisation...i'm only not there because i don't want to go, but i don't want it to get to a point where i don't have a choice.

i read this thing about schizophrenia and different conditions which can have the same presentation...this is what it said.

Quote:
    Some of the other conditions that can have a similar symptomatic profile to schizophrenia are:

*Another medical condition (such as stroke, head trauma, tumor, or infection)
    *Substance abuse
    *Bipolar disorder (the manic phase can appear to be the disorganized type of schizophrenia, and the depressive phase can appear to be the catatonic type)
    *Schizoaffective disorder (changes in mood, such as depression and mania, along with symptoms of schizophrenia that remain even when mood is stable)
    *Schizophrenaform disorder (schizophrenia-like symptoms that last less than six months)
    *Delusional disorder (delusions, without the other symptoms of schizophrenia)
    *Psychotic disorder (brief, psychotic symptoms that last between 1 and 30 days , or caused by medical condition or medication)
    the only one of those that seems to fit me is schizoaffective.

i'm at the end of my rope here with these symptoms. i have still been hearing the voice, along with other voices (some which i recognise) which call out my name. i've still been seeing water turn into blood and seeing dark shadows following me around. i can't stand it anymore and i've been having a lot more suicidal thoughts.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
    Xant
    Inactive
    (female)

Xant HB User

Hello, sorry to hear about your problems. My daughter has been hearing voices and having hallucinations (seeing people in front of her etc). She also has intrusive thoughts. (If you want to know more you can check my post history).

She has been put on Seroquel and it seems to be helping her. Of course, as you know, not all drugs work the same for everyone but it might be worth a try? It must be very very scary for you...do you know, when these things are going on, that they aren't real or are you convinced they are?

Last edited by Xant; 08-23-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
    DiSsOcIaTiVe
    (female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

hi Xant, thanks for your reply.

while i'm in the moment and these things are happening i generally believe and act as though they are real. when i'm out of the moment i can usually see that it wasn't real.
    with the voices i have to fight them all the time because they are there most of the time. i know it's not real, but some of the voices imitate people i know, which makes it hard.

i'm glad to hear the seroquel is helping your daughter. i think i'll ask for a med change once i've finished this packet cos they're so damn expensive i don't want to waste any!

cheers,
    Diss

Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

I would definately find more psychiatrists in your area, get their opinion.
    God bless and Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
    lstal73
    (female)

lstal73 HB User

Have hope.

Last edited by lstal73; 10-04-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Closed Thread