It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• schizoaffective type bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
    lisa5846
    (female)

lisa5846 HB User
    Cool schizoaffective type bipolar

Hi I was diagnosed with schizoaffective type bipolar 3 years ago. about a year later i had no symptoms at all. i have been off all meds for at least 8 months. Before I was diagnosed I had a misscarriage which I think is what caused it all to begin with. My symptoms were a little paranoid as in scared someone was going to kill me. And depressed and crying for like 3 months straight. I was wondering if anyone new if this was mis diagnos or does schizoaffective go away
    Thanks Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
    cinemachick
    Veteran
    (female)

cinemachick HB User
    Re: schizoaffective type bipolar

If the symptoms went away, then it would probably be a misdiagnoses, because schizoaffective disorder is a life thing. Schizoaffective disorder is commonly mixed up with a lot of mental disorders because of the vagueness of the standards of the symptoms.

You probably just went through a psychotic episode that some people have when they go through a traumatic event. You might want to revisit a psych to get a second opinion to ease your mind.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
    Lonely810810
    (female)

Lonely810810 HB User

I have schizoaffective disorder and mine has yet to go away...My problem is I can't keep myself on meds long enough to get some relief..I am on a new med that makes my body twich.Mostly my hands and jaw.I hate this side effect.Anyone else have the twiches?

Last edited by Lonely810810; 10-01-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
    Georgiasmith46
    (female)

Georgiasmith46 HB User

what medication are you on? I need help with medication doctor is trying to put me on but won't give me side effects. It is called depikote. Have you heard of this... What are side effects. Please help...I am desperate.. As right now I am not taking any medication

Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
    Lonely810810
    (female)

Lonely810810 HB User

i am on xanax,trileptal,a new med I just started I can't remeber the name but it is making me have involuntary movements.Out of ALL the meds I have been on I like trileptal the best.As far as side effects goes.Depakote made me feel the best but I had side effects badly..I have acid reflux so it made my indigestion like 10x's worse and it gives me tremors.Everyone is different so good luck..

Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
    lovelylinda1001
    (female)

lovelylinda1001 HB User

I was diagnoed with schizoaffective disorder years ago. I do know that my doctor said that you could go for seasons without having any symptoms of mental illness. The diagnosis is given to you if you have mood disorders (the affective/bipolar portion) and two weeks or more of either delusions or hallucinations ( the schizo portion). Thank you for all of your posts. It's encouraging for me.

Thanks!!

Love,
    Linda

Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
    brokensynapse
    (female)

brokensynapse HB User

Hey, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective when I was 13 I am now 27. I go off my meds every couple years. This last time I was very successful, I was off meds for 2 and half years, the longest ever. I had to go back on due to me quitting drinking and lots of life changes. I talked with several people about doing so well for so long without meds and they all said the same thing, basically the longer you are stable on meds, the longer you can stay stable without meds. For example if you are stable for 5 years(which I was) then you can be stable for 2 to 2 and half. Who knows though they misdiagnose ppl all the time

Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
    Lonely810810
    (female)

Lonely810810 HB User

If you ask me schizoaffective disorder is a sloppy diagnosis.That is an easy way to push you into something.I have even had therapists tell me that.I didn't even understand when I was diagnosed with it what it was.I know the combo of pills I am on is VERY effective.I have been doing better since taking them.I am actually happier now and feel "normal".As far as being off ur meds and getting better that works well for some people but not me.I have to be on meds all the time or else I have real bad hallucinations and paranoia.I can't even sleep for fear of the hallucinations.I have paranoia more than anything.I hope that everyone is doing well and have a happy Easter.-Lonely

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
    Bru023
    (male)

Bru023 HB User
    Smile Re: schizoaffective type bipolar

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisa5846 View Post
    Hi I was diagnosed with schizoaffective type bipolar 3 years ago. about a year later i had no symptoms at all. i have been off all meds for at least 8 months. Before I was diagnosed I had a misscarriage which I think is what caused it all to begin with. My symptoms were a little paranoid as in scared someone was going to kill me. And depressed and crying for like 3 months straight. I was wondering if anyone new if this was mis diagnos or does schizoaffective go away
    Thanks Lisa

Hey there i also have had the same symptoms that you have described and was diagnosed with bipolar paranoid schizophrenia .I also thought someone was trying to get me ,i was afraid to start my car thinking a bomb would go off it was sick i also went through that extreme low in my life where after a while i guess my brain snapped and people said that i wouldnt stop crying one second then i would be happy the next....I never heard voices in my head or anything like that , soo after 2 months in hospitals i got out and been off my medication for 4 years now with no relapse.

I cant say that i am %100 now i do still feel the effects of the bipolar mostly the depression and extreme anxiety and im looking into buying some kind of medication to help me . What i think caused me to snap so drasticaly in the past was while i was in my depressed stage i stayed up nights at a time hardly eating and drinking tons of coffee and smoking weed the 3 major no-nos for any bipolar but i had no idea at that time thats the whole problem with the first episode you dont know what is happening or how to explain it to anybody .I never knew about bipolar until it happened to me now i know alot

Last edited by Bru023; 04-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Closed Thread