It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Can an Oxygen Loss cause Schizophrenia ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
    BeautifulMisfit
    (male)

BeautifulMisfit HB User
    Question Can an Oxygen Loss cause Schizophrenia ?

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard if an Oxygen Loss can cause Schizophrenia. I know the psychosis it did cause growing up. When I was seven years old I was hung from a noose by two neighborhood children. Soon after I started getting severe mental trauma as the way of psychosis and obcessive intrusive thoughts of choking and not being able to breath. Which caused sometimes such severe disassociation from my body, being able to function with my mind. Soon then I lost all control of swallowing and nearly died choking on food. Laying flat on my back would bring in serious Psychosis and then severe panic attacks. Throughout the years I have always wondered if this could have anything to do with why I have Schizophrenia. Noone in my family history has Schizophrenia. Doctor's have told me that the Post Treumatic effects could definetely have triggered things to make the Schizophrenia worse. Though I really don't think much has been experimented with the thought of Oxygen loss and the effects of Schizophrenia. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would really like to hear them. Sincerely James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
    LaFin
    (male)

LaFin HB User
    Re: Can an Oxygen Loss cause Schizophrenia ?

I don't think it can, I'm not a doctor or anything, but it doesn't sound like it would make sense, lack of oxygen would kill brain cells and could cause significant brain damage but I hardly think it could cause schizophrenia. Although I would agree with your doctors that being hung could be so traumatic it could trigger it.

Closed Thread