It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Anyone on Quetiapine or have tried it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User
    Anyone on Quetiapine or have tried it?

I'm middle aged and have had problems with depression and probably schizophrenia, though I would say it is mild to moderate. I am taking Seroquel, Remeron and Clonazepam. Have read that Seroquel is mainly used for bipolar and schizophrenia. I have to admit I have acted out some strange behaviors in past years. I still have strange and disturbing feelings and thoughts on ocassion. The meds I take seem to help some, but never completely relieves them.

Is any one here taking Seroquel or generic Quetiapine (kwe-tye-a-peen)? Seroquel is over priced. Highway robbery. I recently just found out about the Quetiapine, but you have to get it from overseas. It's a lot cheaper than Seroquel and I was surprised. I'm going to try it. Insurance only covers up to a certain amount per year and then I have to start paying a lot more for my meds. Called my pharmacy and asked about Quetiapine and she acted as though it didn't exist. Earliest for a U.S. generic might be September 2011, if then.

I hope to post replies to others here and elsewhere. Hope everyone is doing ok. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
    madasahatter
    (female)

madasahatter HB User
    Re: Anyone on Quetiapine or have tried it?

Hi Hun...i am caz.I have been on quertiepine for 3 months now.they gave me a sweet tooth..so i have put on a stone in a month..i got really depressed about the damn drugs..i take pills 2 help with the side effects,but they don't stop,they just give a little cover.i take 600mg of quetiapine a day.i still hear my other voice(sarah)but i am in control at this moment..if i am not strong sarah would take over and i don't want 2 eva do that 2 my family again..best of luck wiv the quetiapine

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
    Leahcim
    (male)

Leahcim HB User

It's a good drug. will make you sleep alot though. Ive been on it before for a few months but didn't work for me. I'm now Risperidone. Good luck hope it helps you.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

Hello madasahatter and Leahcim. Thanks for responding. Hope you two are doing well. I was taking 600mg of Seroquel, but cut down to 300mg partly to help keep costs down. I may really need 600mg but will talk to my doctor about it soon. As for now I have already ordered the Quetiapine.

I don't have any problems with hearing voices, but I might sometimes imagine things that aren't there. Like my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyway I have no real big issues up to now. It's funny how some meds can give someone a sweet tooth. It's happened to me.

Leahcim I was taking risperdal at one time. Not very long though. It gave me a bad side effect and so I quit taking it. That was several years ago though. As for sleep, I need all the sleep I can get and I don't really get enough. I am usually up by 5:00am. The Remeron also helps sleep a little. Take care all.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
    sax123
    (female)

sax123 HB User

Hi Bluehills,
    Please help me to understand your board. I am from England and I have been diagnosed with paranoid DID. In England, some of us do not have to pay for our meds, so I understand your distress at not being able to afford the medication you desperatly need. My confussion is as the same as your chemist, as far as I'm aware Seroquel is Quetiapine. In-fact I know it is, Ive been taking it for nearly two years, so by changing your meds will make no difference to your health. I suggest you buy the cheaper of the two as they are exactly the same meds.
    I only wish I could send you them from England as they are quite cheap here.
    Goodluck. xxx

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

sax123 I don't understand what you mean by the DID after paranoid. Did you mean something else? I didn't see anything related to paranoid DID on the net. Please excuse me if that is what it really is.

I can only guess that everything is higher here in the states, or so it seems. I do have insurance coverage, but there is a limit on it per year. It's like I can only buy about 4 months worth of Seroquel and I would be very near my total $ limit for the year. I also have 3 other meds to buy. What I mean is I have a small co-pay, but the grand total $ of seroquel goes against my insurance total per year.

I'll just say that Seroquel is several hundred dollars per 30 day supply. Can you believe that? Not sure how that translates into England currency, but that should give you some idea.

Yes you are right that Seroquel and Quetiapine are the same. Just when I first discovered it is when I really didn't know if it was exactly the same. My doctor approved of me ordering from out of country. I searched around and found the cheapest price for Quetiapine. Odd thing is is that there is a third party involved. I guess I can't order it directly from England, only Canada, but it ships from overseas. Could be England, Europe or even India.

You are lucky to live in England. I know it is cheaper where you are. To give you some idea what I pay for Quetiapine, it's almost 1/4 the cost of Seroquel. That helps a bunch. I also take 600 mgs at night daily.

If I didn't have any insurance I would be able to get Seroquel free from the maker. I am on disability, but have had insurance for several years. I looked into finding ways to get help with it. There are several places here, but the bad thing is they are for people without insurance. Take care.

Last edited by Bluehills; 06-19-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Had to add more information.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
    mariethereseg77
    (female)

mariethereseg77 HB User

i used to be on serequal i felt like a walking zombie.now i'm on zeldox it has turned my life around big time, were i have gone back to study and having no sytoms,i see my doctor every six weeks just to keep tabs on my meds.

Last edited by mariethereseg77; 08-11-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariethereseg77 View Post
    i used to be on serequal i felt like a walking zombie.now i'm on zeldox it has turned my life around big time, were i have gone back to study and having no sytoms,i see my doctor every six weeks just to keep tabs on my meds.
    Several months have passed by since I started taking Seroquel/Quetiapine. My doctor wants to keep me on it since it has helped. Very expensive med if bought here. I get my Quetiapine (generic) from overseas and save $$$.

Zeldox must be fairly new. I was reading up on it and ony saw patients side effects go back only as far as 2007. I might know what you mean about feeling like a zombie being on Seroquel. It does make me feel tired a little during the day. That doesn't help things much either. But have been on it for so long I am more used to it now.

Glad to hear the Zeldox has helped you. I didn't even know it existed. Doctor never mentioned it to me. I also don't know how expensive it is. Might mention it to my doctor mext time I go later this month just to see what they say about it. Take care.

Last edited by Bluehills; 08-12-2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: mispelled words

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
    8800GTS
    (male)

8800GTS HB User
    seroquel xr

Hey, I've been on seroquel... I was on risperdal at first, didn't work for me... Not even gunna start... (Hence I stopped)

Seroquel, the regular type, I was on 300mg at first, and it was ALOT better than risperdal... Took away paranoid thoughts, controlled my moods... However, it made me sleepy, even moreso than risperdal... I didn't have alot of weight gain, I gained alittle, but it was healthy weight... I was able to be creative and write alot with seroquel, but not with risperdal... So it was a miracle drug for me...

I stopped taking seroquel, and went on seroquel XR... (Extended Release) I was taking 600mg... Which was/is alot better... It took away ALL the sleepyness, since it was extended release, it was released into my system alot more timed out... Which meant it wasn't like taking 600mg all at once, it was like taking 600mg spread out over a 24hour period... Which in my opinion, made all the difference... Was still creative, etc...

BUT, with the extended release, there was one added symptom... Constipation... It was BAD, really bad, and I don't want to get into details, ahaha, as I know you won't want neither... BUT, basically, it wasn't good to the point where I had to take laxatives regularly, twice/three times a day before and after every meal so that it wasn't so bad... I got the doctors to lower the dose to 400mg because of this, but that didn't help at all, so I just quit taking it... Been off meds completely for about 2 - 3 months now, been okay, withdrawal was terrible coming off seroquel xr, but I had also been taking it for nearly a year, so thats probably another reason why it was so bad, even with the careful weaning down...

Hope I was a help... If I would go back on another antipsychotic, I'd probably go with this one, it was certainly a hundred times better than risperdal... But remember, everyone reacts differently, and I'm usually quite sensitive to any meds... As I'm small, and relatively light weight with a quick metabolism...

I've lost 10 pounds since I quit taking meds...

Thanks,

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

8800GTS glad to hear you are doing ok without meds. Is that right? Nothing? I have been on Seroquel I think for over 3 years. I know about the constipation, I still have problems with that ocassionally. I try to eat more balanced meals. I personally didn't care about the XR Seroquel because it caused me to feel more hungover the next day.

Due to insurance I get Quetiapine through Canada which in turns gets it from overseas like Europe or even other countries. I don't know why we can't get it directly from Europe. Technicalities I guess. My insurance only covers so much per year and then I would have to start paying full price for meds. Generic Quetiapine is about a third or fourth the cost of Seroquel. The price of Seroquel is way over priced. They really need to lower it. It does help a lot of people though.

I took Risperdal many years ago and it gave me real bad constipation. Couldn't take it very long. I have tried dozens of meds through the years to help fight my depression. I take Remeron and Clonazepam along with 600mgs of Quetiapine at night. I still have bad days, but they were even worse several months ago. Take care.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

Hi BlueHills,
    I take Seroquel 100mg + Effexor XR 300mg. The seroquel was a godsend for me. Chronic insomnia, exhaustion, voices "no", smells "yes", visual distortion "yes".

Seroquel Side effects: sweet tooth, carbohydrate craving (weigt gain), constipation, a little forgetful, better sleeping routine.

Good luck, waratah

Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waratah View Post
    Hi BlueHills,
    I take Seroquel 100mg + Effexor XR 300mg. The seroquel was a godsend for me. Chronic insomnia, exhaustion, voices "no", smells "yes", visual distortion "yes".

Seroquel Side effects: sweet tooth, carbohydrate craving (weigt gain), constipation, a little forgetful, better sleeping routine.

Good luck, waratah
    Yeah, to me it would seem that being on only 100mgs of Seroquel would be only to help you sleep. It was that way for me at first. But I started on only 50mgs at first to help sleep. Of course through the years, that has risen to 600mgs.

Even after taking all these meds (Quetiapine, Remeron and Clonazepam) you would think that I would sleep more. But I get up very early around 4 A.M. or so. But I usually take a nap in the afternoon to make up for lost sleep.

I don't hear voices like some other people might. I feel as though I imagine things that aren't really there. For the most part Quetiapine does seem to help aside from a little constipation at times. Take care waratah.

Last edited by Bluehills; 08-29-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added a letter

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
    8800GTS
    (male)

8800GTS HB User
    yo

Yes, you're right about 100mg's... Sometimes doctors actually prescribe it specifically for sleep problems. Like even with people who have no psychosis whatsoever... BUT, that tends to be as low as 25 - 50mg's a night. So 100mg's is almost like a part of the mixture with the other meds... To work together as one... There is alot of theories about how mixing antidepressants with antipsychotics gets the best results... I don't know if its true, but I've tried it and it seemed to do the trick for the time I was on them...

Effexor XR is an antidepressant, (SNRI) I was on it at one point. It works with serotonin, AND norepinephrine, which is said to be directly linked to anxiety... So its used as antidepressants, AND; for anxiety disorders... From what I remember, it really makes moods better, atleast it did for me. So aside from the moods; the only thing that 100mg's of seroquel would do, is gurantee alittle bit of sleep everynight; given that its taken before bed. However, with the Effexor XR, it helps clear out anxiolytic symptoms; allowing for a good sleep and clear mind... Which altogether allows for a better mood, life, etc...

I can see how that would help someone out though, especially when psychotic symptoms/psychiatric symptoms are often times; exacerbated by lack of sleep... Sleep is very important. I remember when I started on meds, the first thing I asked the doctors was; "IS it normal, to be sleeping like 14 hours a day?" And the doctors laughed, and said, "YES!" Especially with antipsychotics. Usually they have such a numbing effect that sleep is almost guranteed in everyone who allows it into their system... Which is good for people who are psychotic, because for one, it allows them a break from IT all... Two, sleep is essential for good stability in all aspects of emotions/perceptions, etc... And three, its a way to determine if sleep is in fact; exacerbating the symptoms...

With bipolar disorder, however, it is kinda hard to make a form of treatment with meds, especially when moods; (depression/mania) seem to control what the treatment ends up being... LIKE, someone with psychosis without mood disorders, can stay on antipsychotics no problem, but someone with bipolar can be sent to manic or depression mode; while taking antipsychotics... So they have to use a mood stabilizer to hopefully help things out alittle... Lithium is usually used... But sometimes simply mixing in an antidepressant is enough. It all depends on whether or not the patient shows signs of mania/hypomania/depression and what levels of each/cycles etc...

...Say for instance, a bipolar patient has been stable for years while taking antipsychotics and antidepressants... But suddenly this individual goes manic... The first thing the doctor would probably end up doing is taking antidepressants DOWN, or OFF... Because with bipolar patients, antidepressants are rarely used... Its proven that it can and does; cause mania/hypomania in those susceptible to highs and lows... The doctor could even cut off all antidepressants, increase antipsychotics, and introduce mood stabilizer's to try evening things out... Its confusing thats for sure... But every patients different, and I mean, you can't compare anyone with anyone, even if they're exact clones; judging from the DSM-IV manual... There are also different types of bipolar. Bipolar I, Bipolar II, and I think its called clythomia or something like that... And each are different in terms of just how far moods can and do go...

The thing is, with bipolar... Is that the moods patients get in, usually end up exacerbating the psychosis... Not all bipolar patients have psychosis, BUT, all patients CAN have psychosis... So the idea is, to control the moods first, then theoretically, you can/should control the psychosis, hopefully some ups and downs, etc... Whereas with strictly psychotic illnesses; Schizophrenia; you can and do have psychotic symptoms before moods change(s), and or, even; without ANY mood disturbances...

(This is how I think about this... Its NOT by any means textbook 100% correct, but this is how I get the differences between bipolar/schizophrenia clear in my mind. As they are SO alike, its often thought they're the exact same thing(s))

Bipolar: Moods exacerbate psychosis.
    Schizophrenia: Psychosis exacerbates mood.

Its kinda wierd looking at it this way, but because my doctors cannot find out which I am of these two above... Its almost like I need to figure things out for myself, than just accept an educated guess, when it doesn't really matter at all. The treatments may be slightly different, but the goal is not. Getting better is the reason for any medication to be entering your body... And you've got to accept the illness before it can be given to ya. (Could be forced) BUT, before it will start to work, getting better is not ALL about taking meds. Alot of it is getting over denail, accepting an illness, and searching for an answer outside yourself, that you can bring into yourself; so that you can then see the world more clearly; and apply it to daily living and avoid any negative thoughts/moods/psychosis, etc...

Hopefully this kinda makes sense ahaha, I'm tired again...

Thanks,

Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

8800GTS
    You were long winded there. Appreciate some of the info you provided. Seems you've done some homework. It's too bad there isn't an easy way for doctors to measure chemicals in the brain to give a more accurate diagnosis of what a particular individual needs. I mean wouldn't that be great. Get to the chase instead of trying med after med taking months or even years to find something that works...and then only maybe.

As for me I have been on different meds for about 25 years. I believe I have tried probably 80% of all meds out there. Seems like it anyway. I was used as an experiment it would have seemed. I was only successful with Zoloft back in the late '80s to early '90s. But it only worked for about four to five years. Even tried again later with an increase in dosage up to 200mgs. No luck.

I don't think I have a major problem with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. I am though more prone to being paranoid more than anything. Of course I have read that Seroquel is mainly used for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I can't say that I have either one of those, but my doctor made the diagnosis several years ago. I also take Remeron and Clonazepam for my anxiety.

To support that I may be more paranoid than anything, the doctor cut me down from 600mgs to 300mgs of Quetiapine a few months ago to help out with my financial condition at the time. But I believe when I cut down I became more paranoid. At least that is how it seemed. Just small changes seemed noticeable. I'm a self concious person and always feel like people are looking at me. So later the doctor upped the dosage back to 600mgs.

I'm only doing fair I would say. But depression is the biggest thing that needs help with. My anxiety is mainly in check with the Clonazepam. Thanks goodness for anti-anxiety meds for almost immediate results.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
    8800GTS
    (male)

8800GTS HB User

Bluehills, thanks for the quick reply! Awesome, this is getting good! I'm glad some of my wind was of use to ya... I know I ramble alot of things, and I do repeat myself ahahha, its bad, but I have a hard time explaining feelings in short sentences, so I write endless stuff ahaha. Thanks for reading though!

Ya, its unfortunate that docs have to go with their gut instinct on med changes/trying different things out... I'm truly sad for you having been through alot of medications! Its terrible... I hope that things work out though, because sounds to me like you've had symptoms even though you keep trying all types of meds... Thats gotta be a hard feeling to deal with? I could only imagine ever taking several medications without any luck, and feeling like all the rest wont do any good...

So you said that Zoloft worked for you in the past? How did it work for you? Was it something that YOU noticed; in terms of good? Or was it someone else who told you, "You are doing better?" I assume it helped the paranoid thoughts... Which would definitely be good...

You also say you don't think you have schizophrenia/bipolar? Could you fill me in on why you might think that? I'm curious, because I've had problems with paranoid thoughts in the past, and then some moods that were exacerbated by those thoughts... The doctors keep saying schizophrenia/bipolar... Sounds like you and I are farely alike in terms of symptoms... Could you share more if possible?

Just curious, about when you said you always think people are looking at you...? Is that something thats always there? Does it come when in certain situations/circumstances? Please say more, I'd like to hear why you feel that way...

I hope your doing well, you said you're doing, "fair," so I'm assuming things aren't as bad as they once were... Fill me in on more if you want, I'm totally game for hearing anything and everything...

Thanks,

Closed Thread