HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Schizophrenia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/)
-   -   Has anyone had success with orthomolecular treatment? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/604496-has-anyone-had-success-orthomolecular-treatment.html)

carlrose 05-24-2008 12:23 AM

Has anyone had success with orthomolecular treatment?

Hello, I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia that started about nine months ago.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I rarely ever see someone on message boards saying they have completely recovered through orthomolecular treatment. I've started myself an orthomolecular regiment using Dr. Hoffer's books. I am soon to see an orthomolecular psychiatrist I just found in my area. I also see a regular psychiatrist and am on a mood stabilizer and anti-psychotics. Dr. Hoffer says for acute cases there's a ninety percent recovery rate. Is this an overstatement? Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with ortho treatment? Any full recoveries? It would be great to hear of someone with success, but I doubt that many full recoveries go on these boards to talk about their success. It's worth a try.

Thanks

vjm 05-24-2008 05:45 PM

Re: Has anyone had success with orthomolecular treatment?

Had tosearch "orthomolecular treatment" to find out what it was. My son was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia 18 months ago after 5 or 6 years of problems, so feel justified in answering your query. I was fortunate enough to attend a course about schizophrenia for carers and the question of nutritional supplements came up frequently. However, I have to say that the answers that came up from professional workers (Physciatrists, Physc Nurses etc) were that the only current treatments for Schizophrenia were Anti - Psychotic drugs. One of the carers attending the course had been through all of this with her daughter but had not found any help at all with supplements, etc. Sorry that I've got no good news for you - but can I ask you one thing? Is the medication that you're on making you feel better? I know that since my son was prescribed the correct medication, all thoughts of alternative medicine have disappeared from his mind. Sometimes it takes a good few attempts to get the right drug for your particular needs. (He tried 5 different medications before finding the right one for him.)

carlrose 05-24-2008 11:56 PM

Traditional psychiatrists and the whole medical profession looks down upon orthomolecular treatment. Only recently has the government undertaken a truly unbiased double-blind study regarding megadoses of vitamins, which will be completed in 2009. Orthomolecular psychiatrists use anti-psychotic drugs as well as megavitamin treatment, so it isn't ignoring the short-term help that anti-psychotic drugs have. However, over a long period of time, those anti-psychotic drugs have very harmful effects (although there are drugs that interact with the glutamate receptors, and may have less harmful effects, being tested right now). I would highly recommend that your son take manganese (not magnesium) for tardive dyskinesia, an extremely dangerous side-effect of anti-psychotics, in regular doses. Studies have suggested it helps prevent it.

I am on my own orthomolecular regiment, and I can say that I have noticed niacin help, because when I stopped taking it my symptoms got worse. Megavitamin therapy does not have the immediate effect that antipsychotics have. It is a program that includes eliminating cerebral food allergies, proper diet, and supplements. I would highly recommend any book by Abram Hoffer. The only reason I am still entertaining the ortho treament is because a lot of new studies are revisiting Abram Hoffer's adrenalin-adrenochrome hypothesis. Even if his methods are overstated, his hypothesis is gathering more and more support.

As for my medicine, I found one that works pretty well for me. I first started with seroquel and lithium. (I am schizoaffective--schizophrenic and bipolar). The seroquel didn't help, but it helped me sleep, so I am still on it. The lithium didn't really help so I was put on lamictal. I was also put on risperidal but had a really bad psychotic episode and became suicidal. I am now on zyprexa and it has helped ease my symptoms. To recap, I am currently on lamictal, seroquel, and zyprexa. The seroquel helps me sleep, the lamictal isn't working as well as it did when i first started because I still get really depressed, and the zyprexa works wonders in controlling my symptoms (and it's only been two days)

I hope that answers your question. I am seeing an orthomolecular MD soon. I also extend my prayers to your son and family, I know first hand how devasting this illness can be. Just know that it isn't your fault.

vjm 05-25-2008 03:05 AM

Thanks for the information, it certainly does sound like a promising treatment. It was quite late over here in England when I posted my reply and I didn't research orthomolecular treatment as much as I should have - sorry about that!

I know what you mean about side effects, my son's weight went up to 17 stone after one particular drug, Zyprexa I think, but he was on a hefty dose which probably contributed to it. It worked very well but the weight gain was unacceptable to him. Abilify (Aripiprazole) has been an excellent medication for him but I know that it's very expensive, our GP said that it costs about 280 (approximate figure, can't remember the exact amount) a month for it. Fortunately, with the NHS over here, he only has to pay 7.10, about $14 at current exchange rates I believe.

You asked in your original post about a cure - a friend's son spent 8 years on Seroquel and has now stopped all medication and is functioning well and has been doing so for the past 5 years. Now whether that's classified as a cure, I don't know, but it's good news anyway! I can remember thinking that every new drug prescribed for my son would be the one to get rid of this devastating illness, how naive I was back then. It's been a very steep learning curve over the past 8 years or so but we've coped and my anxiety about it has now lessened somewhat.

Thanks for your help in explaining all of this, I shall now go off and do some research. I do hope that you find an answer to your original question, I for one will follow this thread with interest.

carlrose 05-25-2008 09:17 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. You put it better than I could. I am seeing an ortho doc soon. It took me a while to find one with an MD in my area. You've cleared up a lot of my questions, but are you saying that histamine imbalances, oxidation imbalances, and methylation problems are the same thing? Where does the adrenalin-adrenochrome-adrenolution hypothesis fit in with this? What about the dopamine and glutamate hypothesis? Are these all connected?