It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Does zyprexa work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
    confused202020
    (male)

confused202020 HB User
    Question Does zyprexa work?

hello everyone. was wondering if anyone has had positive results from zyprexa? All it seems to do is make me drowsy and hungry. my pdoc told me it would help with the hallucinations but they are getting worse. any replies would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
    cinemachick
    Veteran
    (female)

cinemachick HB User
    Re: Does zyprexa work?

That's all zyprexa did for me as well. I couldn't stop eating or sleeping, so I switched to seroquel instead.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
    shananigens
    (female)

shananigens HB User

i was on zyprexa for a couple months, from about feb-aug. it made me very tired and i gained a lot of weight on it, because i was constantly hungry. i was put on it the first time i was admitted to the hospital and it did work at first. but after about 2 months my voices came back worse then before. i did make a mistake of not telling my therapist. so in the end i was hospitalized again in early Sept and they took me off it because i refused to take a higher dose because of the weight gain. so now im on seroquel, which is helping the voices and i can actually put together proper sentences.... but im more paranoid and apprentley dillusional. soo i might be taken off this one. and its btw the 3rd ive been on. have you talked to your dr. about the hallucinations getting worse? because you should. you might just need a higher dose or something.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
    robertward
    (male)

robertward HB User

zyprexa or olanzapine does work but like you say it does have side affects like weight gain/appetite changes/drowsyness. It does take some time for the drug to take affect to control voices/stress/psychosis etc sometimes a few months to years but its much better than the symptoms of the disease, It blanks out receptors in the brain or erases certain bad aspects that go on up there clearing the mind and freeing you for a short while (well between dosage) of the mental pain this disease inflicts. Keep your mind occupied as much as you can with positive upward sources, memory function is a big aspect of this affliction and can be controlled by concentration meditation etc.. change your diet to control weight, never drink alcohol! keep focused don't hide be good.

I have been a sufferer of Schizophrenia for over ten years find your way if it works cherish it and move forward..

hope the above helps

Be Strong

from Robert.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
    Superspud
    (female)

Superspud HB User

I have been on Zyprexa for well over a year now, and it seems to be working for me. At first I was only on 2.5mgs, but gradually the dose was increased when it came out that my symptoms weren't getting any better. I'm currently on 20mgs (which I believe is the highest possible dose) and it's working for the most part. Some of my symptoms are still there, like paranoid thoughts and sometimes voices, but for the most part, I'm doing well. The voices are not as loud anymore when they do come through.
    As for side-effects, I have put on some weight over the time I've been on it, but the best way to combat that is to eat correctly and avoid sugary snacks. As for drowsiness, that only hits me about an hour after taking the pills at night. I find that to be a good thing, because without any pills I'm an insomniac. They help me sleep.
    In short, Zyprexa works but it takes time to get the dosage right.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
    Schmendrick
    (male)

Schmendrick HB User

Zyprexa works for me. My first experiment was Risperidone and I found that on that, I was completely not myself at all. They worked I think... but the worst thing about Risperidone for me was the inability to think at all. I couldn't put three words together in sensible succession in my head, it was so frustrating. I stopped taking them and relapsed a bit before I got a new doctor, who prescribed me Zyprexa. I found the effects much more subtle and acceptable and I have been on them for a year and a half now, feeling satisfied with the results. At this point, I feel great or just have become totally adjusted to the side effects. I gained 25 pounds, but have lost 20 of them through healthy eating and exercise.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
    light the world
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

light the world HB User

Zyprexa worked for my younger brother who suffers from paranoia. The problem with it is that it can cause severe weight gain. He had to switch to seroquel actually. Seroquel hasn't helped yet at all but he is only on 50mg for some reason. In my opinion he is not on a high enough dose.

Closed Thread