It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Schizophrenia or just Paranoia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
    randee02
    (female)

randee02 HB User
    Schizophrenia or just Paranoia

I went to a psychiatrist last week. Leaving with, well, not too much information. Of course he did random tests on me, diagnosing me with panic disorder with agoraphobia. He prescribed xanax for that. However, he also prescribed me risperidone. I tend to have a problem with people, in some form or another, wanting to harm me. Either by poisoning my food, following me, talking about me. ect.. He never really said what he diagnosed me as having. I don't hear voices or have any hallucinations. Could I just have Paranoid Personality Disorder?

Last edited by randee02; 12-01-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Re: Schizophrenia or just Paranoia

I'm not a doctor, but you could have paranoia or paranoid schizophrenia.

By the way, not all schizophrenics hear voices, so even if you don't hear them, it's still possible to have the illness.

I've had paranoia for the past 11 years and suffer from fears that people are poisoning my food, watching me through video cameras in my apartment and following me everywhere I go.

Fortunately, the Risperdal I take does an excellent job of keeping my paranoia at bay.

If you'd like to know what your diagnosis is, I would go back to your doctor to ask for further information or I would ask for a second opinion altogether.

Good luck.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 12-01-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
    MSD607
    Veteran
    (female)

MSD607 HB User

A lot of people have paranoid ideas and don't actually have schizophrenia. If you don't have any other symptoms I would say you're right about paranoid personality disorder. Keep going to you doctor, though.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
    randee02
    (female)

randee02 HB User

I have a follow up in a week (to see how the meds are doing). I would have been more upfront with him, asking more questions and all, but it was the first visit and I was shaken up enough as it was.

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
    hoboclown
    (male)

hoboclown HB User

I went for my first psych visit (well, first in 20 years) about 3 weeks ago. They did a fairly thorough interview and I even briefly got to meet the psychiatrist himself - its the nurse practitioner who you actually deal with directly. I'm sure that's how its commonly done. But even so there are a bunch of things that have surfaced from my past in thinking about things since the visit. There are instances of a few delusions and frequent paranoia, suspiciousness of others (sometimes proven true), all my life. My family history includes 3 second-degree relatives with paranoid schizophrenia, so the genetics apparently got passed on. So when I go back for the 30 day visit soon I'll have to make sure to have a list of things. I want to have the correct diagnosis.
    When i was in 5th grade I remember believing that I had been abducted by greys and experimented on, and once as a teen I smoked pot and had a very strong hallucination thats hard to describe - blanket turning into thousands of creatures - and tv pixels melting. And the handful of times I tried pot I had a very strong paranoia phase. Never tried it past high school, too scary of an experience.
    But I am not sure if my paranoia wasn't justified as a teen because I was often beaten by bullies. Nowadays the paranoia just is that I am being talked about, made fun of or laughed at when it turns out not to be the case. Or that someone does something to my food or desk etc. when I'm not there.
    Will ask for stronger antipsychotic dose at next appt. I think they just started low dose to make sure there's no bad side effects. So far none and I have more energy and am sleeping better on Symbyax 3/25.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have 7 different types of paranoia (the fear of people watching me through video cameras installed in my apartment, my food being poisoned, people calling the police for a crime I didn't commit, listening to my voices telling me to harm myself, losing complete touch with reality due to my auditory hallucinations, dying a slow and painful death and being followed) yet I've never been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I was recently diagnosed with atypical bipolar I disorder with rapid cycling meaning that my bipolar is atypical due to my auditory hallucinations, paranoia and rapid cycling. I've had 2 types of paranoia for the past 10 years. The other 5 developed since my original (and incorrect) diagnosis of schizoaffective in 2006.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
    autumnphyre
    (female)

autumnphyre HB User

"Either by poisoning my food," I'm so glad someone else has this paranoia too. It makes my life a misery. If you find out what you have please can you let me know? You sound exactly like me. My friend had a go at me the other day for being overly paranoid about everything and thinking everyones got it in for me. I dont have hullucinations, but I tend to screw up when I'm talking, like jumble my words. I had frequent feelings of detacthment from reality when I was younger, less so as I've gotten older, but my moods get worse, I'll be super happy at one point in the day and it takes just a small thing to irritate me/make me feel crap.
    My grandpa has paranoid Schizoprenia, but no one else in my family seems to be ill. =/

Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

autumn,

Given how you described your moods as changing rapidly, I wonder if you might have bipolar? Have you ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation?

My psychiatrist told me I have atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling (where my moods change on an hourly basis). My paranoia is strictly attributed to the bipolar. He said that it's rare for people with bipolar to hear voices and have paranoid thoughts, but it isn't unheard of. If I remember correctly, he said only 3% of the population out of 100% who are diagnosed as bipolar experience the same symptoms I do.

I've been afraid of people poisoning my food ever since my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006. I think it arose from the fact that when I ate (prior to my manic/psychotic episode), my food tasted as if it were tainted. Milk tasted sour and everything else I ate tasted as if it had no flavor.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
    cassanova343
    (male)

cassanova343 HB User

is hearing intimations of voices like hearing voices becaue I get angry at tv characters for no reason "schizophrenic"..or am I just a "schizo wanksta"..I live in a subdivision of wankstas in miami. I had written more stuff but these are merely thoughts yet I think someone is going to report me..I feel the police are after me all the time

I was diagnosed as a schizophrenic by two doctors but now I don't have the money to see anyone or get medicine and I am very lonely....my family thinks I'm just a punk and have spoiled brat syndrome but they are christian scientists.

I could use some help and pushes in the right direction

Last edited by cassanova343; 02-09-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I can't comment in regards to your voices since I don't understand exactly what you hear, but being afraid that the police are after you could definitely be a sign of paranoid schizophrenia. If I were you, I'd contact your local health department or hospital for a referral to a free mental health clinic. If your city offers 211, you may want to give them a call for this information as well. You might also contact a local university in your area since they oftentimes have pdocs on staff to meet with clients for free once a week. Hope this helps!
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-09-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
    autumnphyre
    (female)

autumnphyre HB User

I wouldnt know where to start to find a psychiatrist. a) I dont have the money and b) the NHS waiting list (as Im in England) is stupidly long to see anyone!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

autumn,

Are you feeling suicidal or do your moods cycle so quickly that you feel suicidal at times? If so, I would suggest you contact the NHS to let them know so that they can schedule you to see a psychiatrist ASAP.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
    autumnphyre
    (female)

autumnphyre HB User

yeah i do quite a bit. It was really bad the other week. Thing is I've been to the doctor last year about suspected depression and she made me fill out a questionnaire to figure out if i was stressed or actually depressed, then put me on a waiting list to see a therapist, which would've taken months, so I went to look for a private therapist. Went through 4 and they were all useless. They don't help or diagnose you, just let you talk. Which is no good ....the NHS suck. They just stick you on a waiting list and hope to get you in and out of the system as fast as they can or mess you around with who you should see

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

autumn,

I wonder if it would help if you contacted a social worker, let them know how you're feeling and they could intervene for you by helping you see a pdoc or tdoc ASAP? I know it's probably not that easy, but I'm just trying to come up with ideas as to how you can be helped at the moment.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
    psalms91
    (female)

psalms91 HB User

I think my sister also suffers, she very paranoid and over protective, have negative thoughts and thinks everyone is up to no good. Can't even enjoy a night out with her anymore because she thinks everyone is bad and out to do bad things. I'm not sure of her hearing voices, but I know she rambles on and on never have anything good to say about anyone, always think people are watching when out. She takes care of my elderly mom and makes my mother soooo nervous...don't want her to stand or do anything because she thinks she'll fall (she fell over my sisters work bag once). Should I be concerned how can I get my sister to notice something is wrong. She left her boyfriend after 5 yrs thinking he was out of town just to be with another woman, come to find out he's a consultant and travels alot! How can I help? She was in the hospital this summer for pnuemonia, but they kept her longer, she didn't want no visitors...could there have been more.

Closed Thread