It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Therapy for 'Voices'

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
    Black Raincoat
    Inactive
    (male)

Black Raincoat HB User
    Wink Therapy for 'Voices'

As a Scitzophrenic myself I am well aware of the huge obstacle that hearing voices poses. It is very disabilitating and painful and can drive one to harm oneself and even others. Let me suggest various approaches in the following thread to help alleviate the pressure of voices.

Firstly the actual volume and frequency can be overbearing for even someone who is used to hearing them. The volume has to be turned down before one can start ones attitude adjustment, and this can only be achieved with medies. What I suggest is a scenario where the sufferer need not medicate until every symptom vanishes (We should be able to find coping methods when medication cannot do everything). My system is based on a 'naturalistic' approach to hearing voices assuming that one might not nesessarily be very ill to hear them, just accustomed. I have long since thought that the brain learns to think psychotically almost asif it were a more advanced form of functioning (rather than just a disease).

What the newbie is often confronted with is a carcophony that can even prevent sleep where he/she is bombarded with all sorts of voices, and not just voices, but sounds seem to take on a extra dimension. The associations we say draw from smell to memory seem to be working now only with sound, with certain sounds carrying symbolic value, just as the person hearing them is stuck in psychosis. The thinking of ones own mind becomes vocal and reflexsive with various personalities coming into the internal discussion as voices. Those are inner voices. Outer voices can come from nowhere just onew just knows that they came from outside oneself. Various sounds around one become like voices, wether they are just sounds or distant fragments of speech. The potential for paranoia is imaginable.

To introduce the therapy let me describe a certain discovery. Often wether hearing voices or not I listen to good music. On one particular night i decided to lie on my bed, on my back and listen to Madredeus, a Portuguese singer. The songs are accompanied by base, drums, base guitar, piano and even the flute and obviously her beautiful young female voice. She sings in Portuguese, all the time and I know maybe 4 Or 5 words in this Language. As I lay there I did as I had often done in the past and evry now and again heard a word being sung that sounded like an English word and placed it into the tune, feeling like I knew a little more now of what was being sung. Then, I found that the harder I tried to interpret the words, the more and more English substitutions I was putting into place until by the 4th song I was hearing 3 or 4 long sentences in English during the course of one song. This was obviously not a translation but a 'sounds like' but it allowed me to derive more pleasure from the song. So I lay there getting emotively into the music and then discovered that the words I heard were not only sentences that were in dialouge with my thoughts but also had meanings appropriate to the feeling of the music. I took a deep breath and decided to ask myself a theraputic question the kind you can only ask behind a closed door, but also a question that suited the mood of the beginning of the next song. Not once but for every song on that CD thereafter the words I could apply/hear in the song answered my questions. I had one theraputic question for each new song and resultingly had many answers sung back to me in Madredeus's voice, but they were of my thought. The technique is intimate and not only provides some aquired time alone with ones thoughts but I believe it can actaully help the Schitzophrenic create a virtual assimilation of what goes on when they hear voices.

Hence starts the process of sifting out the voices in ones head. When the chaos begins to be slightly ordered one can push out many of the voices from ones own mind out into the world and practising this technique and simultaneously improving ones lateral thinking and 'voice placement' can do this. Picture where I am. I can hear, mishear, channel and imagine sounds and voices with words in any of these combinations. When one strives to place the voices is the realm of public 'noise' or sound many of the urges and drives to hear voices become tools in growing the personality in the public domain. Eg. I am in my office and I can hear my boss on the phone and he is telling someone to do something the way they first decided to do it. With my schitzophrenia in tact I learn to appropriate his voice- make it as if he were speaking to me- bascially saying making it my own. The next step was then to take his advice for my current activity. If I am in my centre and being constructive myself its not hard to apply what one hears as advice. This illustrates how a positive outlet has been created for the hearing of a voice. Your schitzophrenic mind is able to take advantage of everything you hear, or slightly hear and it is almost especially true when you only hear something softly becuase then your mind jumps to fill in the blanks and the Madredeus system can come into play. Can you now see how important it is to have a healthy self-esteem to listen to.

There are other sorts of voices though. But at least we are beginning to sift from top to bottom and hopefully bring some order to the fragmentation. I have to wrap up now but hope you will find this usefull and will soon write about the sifting of further and deeper strata of voices. Ciao

Last edited by Black Raincoat; 08-14-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
    Black Raincoat
    Inactive
    (male)

Black Raincoat HB User
    Re: Therapy for 'Voices'

Along the lines of what I have already written on this topic, once some noise can be attributed to things going on outside the head, one can begin to feel a bit better. With the pressure of a voice being placed on the outside, of ones aura if you will, a number of things make that voice easier to deal with. That is one can build up with time, years even, a coat of insulation to make this voice less objectionable. The coat could be:
    - a lack of concern over the content of the speech, thus a disconnection
    - an inertness and the realisation of the necessity not to to act or react, mentally or physically
    - maybe even the decision to occasionally listen to the urges of a voice, while still allowing ones own will over the situation/ giving oneself over is similar to letting go of the ego that is forcing one into reaction
    - Having spaces and walls and curtains and travel time and similarly a passage of time from that voice to you and you back to that voice.
    -As such one can attribute the voices to people in your environment, even if it is just a world of invisible spirits. Sometimes I confuse the two. I hear distant conversation between neighbours but can make perfect sense of it and the words even answer my thoughts, down to the very second, and I allow myself to believe that somehow the spirit realm is speaking to me through their voices. The same happens with the TV and radio. Its uncanny and is largely harmless once I have gotten used to it. It also lingers even once mediaction is working. In fact its even company in my unwanted solitudes. It is also very stimulating for the brain because you get to converse with 'others' at the speed of thought and in wide circles around oneself- i.e a few people at a time who are not necessarily connected by events.
    - Your doings and events connect all these various sources, interesting not so?

With the opinion that the majority of voices can eventually be 'given over to' this outside role playing i.e where inner conflict eventually begins to play itself out over a passage of time in and around the conversation and actions of others one can see the potential for healing.

Soon I was engaging myself in activites within the public 'eye'. Accepting that my voices had a very real cognition and response has allowed my acceptance to the point at which I can work with them, rather than existing on a battle ground in my head. (Denial being yet another weapon on this battleground. Also questions like 'Are you going to accept that your mad?'..."NO!") Any menial activity can be an oppurtunity to engage in this spectrum eg. cleaning up, cooking, or even more constructive drawing, less constructive fighting with someone, more embarrasing going to the loo, having sex with myself or someone else, liberating: joining what feels like a forum around any of these issues.

What I have in the end been exposed to through accepting a certain degree or presence of voices in my life is a public forum and correction and enlightenment of all my thoughts and actions, private or public. This is not becuause a certain exposure to publice opinion is the answer, but no the answer still sits firmly within that dialouge one holds with oneself. (We might just have access to the perfect truths and learnings within ourselves, while we're held up/in place by the public we become so sensitive to. This may be the very thing that Scitzophrenics are scared of, not the voices themselves, but the blatant uncovering of ones soul is the face of it all. That is no small thing!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
    Black Raincoat
    Inactive
    (male)

Black Raincoat HB User

Having covered the topic of 'external voices' I feel free to touch a more delicate topic, that of voices one perceives as not coming from interpretation of the outside world and sound, but voices inside the head. I have found that various ones exist, various types that is, and they can be felt, after practice to be coming from different places in the head ie. different places on the location of ones head eg from the back of the inside of ones head or from the front. You can get a feeling for the groups and begin to categorise them based on the nature of the thought experience. I myself cannot recollect and name locations in the head of thought groups but when it is happening can recognise them.

Before I continue I need to describe a particular happening that actually throws the whole idea of voices originating inside the head/mind into confusion.

Once during the onset of a psychosis due to a sporadic uncompliance to my medication I was standing alone after work in my lounge. Neighbouring voices and sounds were playing heavy on my head but suddenly I could feel myself connecting to something else. Similarly to a previous time when I was meditating and found myself connected with a lower strata of the sky, I could now feel a band of density some 100 meters above me in a layer of the air. The interesting thing about this strata is that was filled with the low murmurings of thousands of voices in activity, simultaneously. Anything I could think had a reflected murmuring in this band. The same words of my thought and simultaneously also answers to my thoughts all swirled around here. It was like a band of all thought,some giant radio station where all time past and present was spoken and its atmosphere was tangeabile. What it highlights is that in the head one is capable of thinking anything, or this is what this experience taught me: I should not be so worried about the incessant presence of good or even unpleasant thoughts, the strata allowed me the experience of feeling that my mind was not solely mine or limited to controlled thoughts.

Similarly the presence of voices inside ones head, especially at hours of trying to sleep, that is, a point at which one needs quiet, are easily perceived as not originating in the self. In fact doing this stops one fighting with oneself for on occasion I would still get into brawls telling myself to shut up and sleep.

I see one set of voices this way:
    Everyday as we move through the day people say things to us that we might not pick up immediately or say things around us that our conscious doesn’t hear at all.
    I have become destinctly aware of hearing voices at night, home alone, of people I have met through the day- if I place the voices in that direction (They do sound the same as certain people on accurate recollection). These are things that assertain to the hearer directly (also a way of recognising them). They come across as suddden voices while remunerating about the day’s events and are intimately related to the last thought in the mind; the occasion though not an idea you remeber thinking or even like one of your own ideas.

What then happens is that upon hearing this sudden echoe I think back to the day and can surely remember the circumstances around which the voice is coming. Really I see it as scraping off and cleaning of one’s own aura of the voices and impressions that are stuck to it. The tool is accurate and offers great insight into what others are saying or at least might be. Either way it is a form of reflection and closely related to the old notions of prayer that one should assess a day at its end.

Thninking of this set this way offers calmness rather than turmoil as set off by the self. One can soon see that you are dealing with things that have already happened and that are not current disturbances. I attain much calmness, even during such thinking even when I hear opinions about myself I don’t like.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
    Black Raincoat
    Inactive
    (male)

Black Raincoat HB User

Telepathy or Rubbish?:cool:

On almost every occasion it is far more pleasurable and easy to think one is in direct communication on a telepathic level with another than think it just voices in your own head. Rather than be at war with onself and feel no control over your own thoughts try believing you are in communion with someone. This could be a friend or enemy or simply a spirit or any one you call into your head. I find it easier do do this than fight with myself. The problem is that you will have to believe in yourself when no one else does. This is because people have no notion or a distorted notion of telepathy. I have the joke “What number am I thinking of?” by people wishes to discredit the notion. Unfortunatley any form of telepathy will have ones own weaknesses and insecurites projected into the conversation and in my mind can never be seperated from the general plethora of thoughts that occur anyway. It can however be intimate communication at the speed of thought and can tie one to the higher selves of these ‘other’ friends.
    The voices offer up their personalities although the people in question will know nothing of this communication.
    Making the voices friends rather than enemies is also important and this can be done by sharing and not just restisting with your thoughts. I found my environment of voices far less hostile once they had an inkling of my own unique story. (Almost asif you have to win their respect)

You might argue that this is the territory of psychics only but I will argue that Scitzophrenic thinking operates along the same lines. The pscychic is merely swimming and the Schizophrenic drowning. I know that my own thought s operate along both paths and to me the paths are inseperable. This is possibly only due to to my education and life experiences, nuture rather than nature. The nature part is the Scitzophremia itself. What I am suggesting is that I allow myself to believe such things or have learnt to believe them. and am no more psychically gifted than any other Schitzophrenic. The techniques listed previously illustrate the amount in which the dissarray of Schitzo thought can be arranged into manageable thinking.

In the arms of night ‘telepathy’ works miracles, allowing connections to thoughts that are embodied miles away.
    During the course of day telepathic thoughts are harder and require an attitude of taking advantage of what you believe and it might draw you into real conversation with people and sometimes should not, when you simply live unnoticed and privately amongst public.
    With the correct etiquette an individual impression in a telepathic way can start a conversation. However one should be warey of believing you know what people are consciously thinking. ie. They could’ve thought ‘that ‘or should’ve tought ‘that’ ;not necessarily are. Amazingly enough one actually receives different personalities of thought here. Again the effect is to way outstrip any form of lateral thinking on ones own behalf that you could easily attribute this kindastuff too. At the very least then it’s ones own subconscious that you should believe you reckoning with...and that also...is powerful stuff.

Either way try not to think your diseased and sick in yourself...thats the best cure of all. Not to forget, do this while afforing youself for as much room as possible for forgiveness for the way you are, from others (But especially from the self). Remeber your’re Scitzophrenic, you DO and are allowed to play both sides of the court/fence. We deserve some form of credit don’t we? (or will you be disguarded with the glass,plastic and rubbish of this consumerist society). A great guru once described the egoic mind as ‘A giant waste- dump’. The ownus actaully falls square in the hands of the Schizophrenic who can either attain putification to various degrees or must disgard much of his/her thinking as rubbish. No doubt constantly pushing out the filth and rubbish is pseudo-purication any way. (Like i said it is more or less thrust upon the Schitzophrenic).

Closed Thread