It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
    ElizabethLost

ElizabethLost HB User
    Question MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

Hey everyone.

I'm a female in my mid twenties who has been suffering w/ depression for almost one year. It was mainly brought on due to a relationship that has completely taken over my life. Long, long story.

Anyway, I was at rock bottom a few weeks ago and debating suicide when I decided to go get help. I made an appointment w/ a psychologist who diagnosed me as severely depressed, body dysmorphic and pathologically jealous. In turn, the MD prescribed me 50 mg of Zoloft along w/ 25 mg Seroquel even though she said I was not schizophrenic. She said the Seroquel will diminish my extreme paranoia and body dysmorphia. I do not hallucinate or hear voices but I have very distorted thoughts obviously and it's ruining my life.

Anyway, I have been taking my meds like a good girl. I am no longer suicidal and the Zoloft has taken the edge off of my depression. I am continuing therapy as well so I won't have to be medicated forever. I was very afraid to take the Seroquel so I ended up halfing it. I took it along w/ a 1/2 of a .5 xanax (doctor's orders) and was sleepy within 20 minutes. The Doctor got onto me and told me I needed to take one whole seroquel at night for now and she would probably be upping my dosage to 3 or 4 per night. So, I tried taking a whole one and whoa... those dreams! I had the most craziest, vivid dreams ever! I honestly couldn't distinguish what had really happened and what was a dream until about an hour after I woke up. I also could barely drag myself outta bed and had a splitting migraine. Needless to say, I am now just taking a 1/2 of Seroquel.

Is anyone else on Seroquel that isn't exactly Schizophrenic but just extremely paranoid or body dysmorphic?

Please respond.

Elli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elizabeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Elli,

Seroquel is indeed used for distorted thinking and although it is classified as an antipsychotic med, taking it or having it prescribed does not make you schizophrenic.

Sounds like your psychiatrist gave you an honest explanation behind prescribing this medication for you. If you are having side effects, be sure and let your doctor know. Sometimes you have to try a few different meds to find out which ones work best for you. Don't be discouraged and keep up the good work.

God bless,

Lea

Lea

Old 06-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #3
    cryinangelnpain

cryinangelnpain HB User
    Seroquil is actually i think a really good med. Don't be afraid of it, it will help you with your problems other than your depression. it is also a wonderful sleep aid. i am on it, i have been on it in the past, and the only advice i can give you is the side effects will go away, and don't be afraid of it! good luck!

Old 06-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
    sparkling dreams

sparkling dreams HB User
    Wink

I know what you mean about those dreams, arent they awesome! I think the seroquel does cause those dreams somehow, because ive been taking it for a few years now, and when i went off it for one night because i was down, i had extremely vivid dreams..almost like racing dreams that skipped from one dream to another. i have learned to appreciate the dreams, and half of them are psychic, because the thing that happens in my dream usually happens in real life a few weeks later. weird huh? i love having psychic dreams, they forewarn me about things before they happen so that i can change them before they do. anyone else experience psychic dreams with their schizophrenia? luv, libby (oh and seroquel IS an awesome help to me, its completely changed my life!)

Old 07-14-2003, 03:43 PM   #5
    norman b

norman b HB User
    Smile

yes i know about the dreams i write them down and cross them off when they come true because nobody believe's me. All of us on seroquel must be pychic we just didnt know it for def it's when the illness comes out it shows.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
    michelle123

michelle123 HB User
    Hi
    I'm taking 25mg of seroquel to help me sleep, it works great, no other side effects.
    mitch

Old 08-01-2003, 06:32 AM   #7
    meirocco
    (female)

meirocco HB User
    Elizabethlost,
    I just started taking it, and I am also on zoloft for severe depression, (I have suffered it most of my life, and been on a nd off meds). I am not schizophrenic, but I do have the paranioa, and jeaulousy (big time, had this most of my life too)-in fact my psych said I have OCD. I think I am obsessed with the feeling that I don't deserve what I have, and it will all come crashing down at some point. He put me on seroquel so the delusional thoughts would subside and so i can sleep at night. I hope this helps you, if you wanna talk email me.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
    carebear1111

carebear1111 HB User
    I just today was prescribed seroquel and prozac for depression and I over analyzie everything. I cant stay focused I am not scared of the prozac it is this seroquel that scares me. Do I just try the prozac without the seroquel or what I am so scared I dont think that and my family and friends dont think I am that bad but I do get panic attacks and stuff. I dont hear voices or see things. he only has me on 25 mg 0f the seroquel. What to do someone please help. I am so scared. Why are all problems answered with pills?

Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 AM   #9
    Sue-schiz

Sue-schiz HB User
    Hmm I'm quite insecure and used to be very jealous. I am schizphrenic, on Seroquel, Seroxat (paxil) and zopiclone. The thing is, even with these meds I hate the way I look, basically hate myself. The Seroquel has helped a bit, I'm in a realtionship and coping ok, although I don't believe him when he says he loves me and thinks I'm nice looking etc. I've been on a few meds in my time, and one thing I know is that you know better than the doctor what dose to take (usually I need more, not less), so stick with what you think is best. Whenever I start a new med I read the side effects and get scared, but with time worry less and less about them. Maybe the worrying is part of the illnes (anxiety) because I find as the dose is increased, I don't think about it. Well anyway, take care.

Sue.

[This message has been edited by Sue-schiz (edited 08-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sue-schiz (edited 08-07-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #10
    meirocco
    (female)

meirocco HB User
    carebare1111,

I used to think the same thing, 'why answer my problems with pills', but you know what- I went off of antidepressants for a year, and could not deal with life, I see a psyciatrist also, but without medication I can not function, so I know now that I need it. It took a long time for me to come to terms, and realize that all the talking I can do to councelors, psyciatrist, and spending time in the psych ward were not helping, then when he put me on zoloft-that alone was not helping. As far as the seriquol goes, I was just put on it a week ago, I am diagnosed with sever major depression and OCD, but I have delusional thoughts, and can't sleep so he put me on seriquol along with zoloft. I feel like a completely different person now, and thank god we have treatments like this today because otherwise we would live in our own miserable little worlds or in a state hospital. I wish you the best, I personally had no side effects from the seriquol (except the first night i had restless legs), but I take it right before bed and I am doing fine. good luck

Suzie- I have a question for you, how did you act when you were jealous? I ask because, that is (was)my biggesst problem, and I always just felt nuts with the thoughts that were running through my head, and i would hound my husband like crazy. I just wonder am i the only one that bad oris there others like me.

Old 08-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #11
    carebear1111

carebear1111 HB User
    Thanks for the replies. I did just end up taking the serowuel last night and it made me RELAXED for once. I was on Valium and Klonipin up until yesterday and flushed it all last night. I decided that I would just try it out. In my family there are lots of depression, axiety and even Bi -polar and Manic depresssion. So I decided that I dont want my life to get any worse I want to live. All though I have NEVER been suicidal and have never heard voices or haulisanated (sorry about spelling) I think this stuff may work for me. I ask many people yesterday and I guess pharmacists see it more and more used for anxiety (severe). It is so scary being on a drug that you know nothing about but the funny but not really funny thing is I think hey I was on Valium buspar klonipin and clonidine and Vicoidine to deal with life now that is a deadly combination. SO I would like to continue to talk with people as they take this drug.

Only thing I cant realate to is the jealousy I am very self confidant and I dont get real jealous I wont say I have never been but I dont let it take over me. I figure if a guy really loves you there is nothing to worry about no matter how scandalists other girls maybe. If he cheats then that is your answer. OUT. If he looks look right along with him and dont lie if she is HOT say so I do. BE confidant and dont lie to your self it isnt always what is on the out side a guy sees. There is so much more to it WHAT is inside that a guy will fall in love with. Wow I dint mean to bable on this subject but i did wanna give my advice. Pay it forward is my answers to life. Take care all and thanks for the replies again. Keep smiling.

Carebear

Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #12
    HealthNut1

HealthNut1 HB User
    I was put on 100 mgs of Seroquel for what one doctor calls my "manic depression." She made this diagnoses in all of 5 minutes. She put me on this drug plus a mood stabilizer and Wellbutrin.
    What I was actually suffering from was depression and anxiety, I don't think an anti-psychotic is needed. What a joke. The seroqel only makes me tired and run down all the time.
    I also had very vivid dreams that were very detailed and went on forever.
    The only benefit this drug seems to have is that it puts me to sleep, which I did need at first, but now I'm okay.
    I am going off of it because I feel tired all day after taking just 25 mgs at night.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #13
    mistyone
    Inactive

mistyone HB User
    hi guys- i am just a simple boarderline personality disorder and i usually post on the other personality disorders channel however, i liked to look and see waht other folks are up to in the meds isle. I am on xanax 1mg and efforox 75 mg and sometimes i take also oxycontin for a neck operation that i had this year for pain mmgt. I have 50 pounds to lose and the efforxor has made me completely lose my appetite for any foods what so ever. so i think, not pathologicaly speaking here that will enable me to lose the weight appropriately. However, I have alternating either insomnia or oversedating effects from these meds which is rather bothersome to say the least. I have depression also for nearly my entire life since being sexually violated when as a 11 year old. This forever rearranged my emotional landscape and despite periods in my life which i was able to work as a teacher and obtain a masters degree which was very theraputic for me, but since my car crash, i have major issues with driving as i have 11 screws and 4 metal plates in my neck and one more accident will kill me as these things can break off. ok so i am rambling on a little here. i am not looking for pity, as i am trying my best to get by. I am looking for knowledge about other potential meds that may be able to also help me. Am seeing a shrink but he really doesnt know how to treat a BPD/depression....gee i sound trendy here dont i? thanks for reading this post, and i gave up on being jealous for your information, even though i am married not so happliy. I just figure that i have been through so many relationships with this disorder you tend to churn out people, that at this point in my life age 47, am burned out and if wants out then i dont care anymore. mistyone

Old 11-05-2003, 04:37 AM   #14
    funkybreaks

funkybreaks HB User
    bipolar

I am bipolar type1 with mild phycotic features. I was only prescribed seraqual to sleep 'as needed', but it was like 100mgs, so I usually break the pills up into three. however I have taken them whole and felt fine the next day. This makes me wonder if I should be taking it all the time. I am taking lamital 25 but I should be up to like 75 by now I have neglected going to the drs and am running out of meds. and I take effexor 150. I was also taking depakote but I weened myself off it with no drs orders becuase it was making me fat. I am not sure what the seraqual does exactley? I know if I take more than 50mgs that there will be no way I can stay awake. I have also noticed that it makes me very dizzy and clumsey, sometimes it makes me paranoid because it puts me to sleep so hard I am afraid I wont wake up if something happens and I need to get out of the building. so I am confused about this drug I guess. I can say that missing my lamictal or effexor or both is just awfull, after about two days I will feel terrible, dizzy and like my head is having electric shocks, I can litterally feel withdrawal symptoms. I will be afraid if I stop taking these meds, but I do wonder if I need the seraqual regularly or not, it certainly does help ya sleep!

Old 12-02-2003, 08:00 AM   #15
    ElizabethLost

ElizabethLost HB User
    Re: bipolar

Everyone,

Thank you for your kind replies and support. I'm sorry I have not been online. Please see my post on the depression thread updating how my life has been over the past few months.

I do have a question...have any of you experienced weight gain w/ seroquel? My therapist said that my ten pound weight gain could be a side effect of seroquel...even though I hear so many people experience weight gain from Zoloft (which I'm also on but tapering off).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elizabeth

Closed Thread