HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Schizophrenia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/)
-   -   My parents won't believe I have schizophrenia or take a hint that I do. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/864417-my-parents-wont-believe-i-have-schizophrenia-take-hint-i-do.html)

VexedMeerkat 08-15-2011 03:32 PM

My parents won't believe I have schizophrenia or take a hint that I do.

Please help me!!!
I think I have schizophrenia, because I constantly have twitches and my body goes into spasms, and I see and hear things other people don't, I suffer from deep depressions and soaring highs. And I also have terrible grammar!!!

And my parents don't see it because they're blind and if there is anything wrong with me they say: 'Oh it'll blow over!' and get on with their day! I seriously need to find out the truth. I just don't know how to tell my parents, and I only THINK I have schizophrenia, I might not! so if I tell them I do and then get tested and find out I don't it'll be INCREDIBLY embarrassing! Is there a test for schizophrenia? But someone please help me! I'm in a rut and have very little means of getting out!

BlackJellybean 08-16-2011 12:14 PM

Re: My parents won't believe I have schizophrenia or take a hint that I do.

I don't know how your parents feel about therapy/psychiatry, but if you have health insurance, you might want to schedule an evaluation. I believe a therapist does it, and if you are determined to need it, he/she would recommend you to a psychiatrist. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents, maybe get advice from another close family member. Good luck.

sylink 08-23-2011 08:42 AM

I commend your courage. It is absolutely important you take steps to address the problem. I believe after you have done the diagnosis, they will take you seriously.

rosequartz 08-23-2011 08:49 AM

deep depression and soaring highs sound more like symptoms of bi-polar, than schizophrenia......also bad grammer isn't a symptom of any mental illness.
Are you a student? is there someone at school you could talk to, a nurse or counsellor, perhaps?

myboy 09-28-2011 09:36 AM

Hi
It sounds like bi-polar to me too.If your'e over 16, phone your doctors and make an appointment yourself.Get a diagnosis and then tell your parents.If your'e anxious about their reaction I'm sure your doctor will be happy to have a word with them on your behalf.
Hope this is helpful.Good luck.
myboy.

layaya 10-18-2011 02:18 PM

OMG i have the same exact problem the diffference is i have told people but they just laugh at me i told my guidance counsler i want to talk about it but we have other things to discuss so we havnt gotten to that yet in the meantime im in the same boat as you:confused:

synpase321 10-19-2011 07:42 AM

Schizophrenic is a term that will stay with you forever

so it is important not to take it likely as us suffers have found.

You need to be 100% in diagnosing the condition.

Unfortunately no one on the forums can do that for you -

you have to see an expert and even then psychiatry is not an exact science.