It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Thinking in "dialogues" as if I'm speaking to someone else. Does anyone else do this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
    Whatwha
    (female)

Whatwha HB User
    Question Thinking in "dialogues" as if I'm speaking to someone else. Does anyone else do this?

This probably won't make sense, but I can't stop thinking in "dialogues". It's kind of like an internal monologue but it's as if I'm speaking to someone else, like how I would speak out loud to someone in a normal conversation, like I'm talking to someone in my mind who isn't there. It's so constant and it's never anything that's relevant to what I'm actually doing at the time, to the point where it's almost impossible to "live in the moment". Does anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
    Pioneer800
    (male)

Pioneer800 HB User
    Re: Thinking in "dialogues" as if I'm speaking to someone else. Does anyone else do t

Hello there,

No need to worry yourself, I speak in a dialogue/monologue within my own mind as well, and have done since I can remember. Heck when I was younger I used to have myself and 'brain,' my trusty internal companion. I don't consider myself as at all insane, and I quite like it, it allows me to process thoughts in a cool way, to balance out arguments well, and sometimes I make myself laugh!

Just realise that obviously the 'other voice' whichever it may be, is still you, you are both voices and you can control them both, it's just a way of thinking, an outlook, and I consider it a blessing with the right attitude.

Hope you're not worrying yourself over nothing any more, all the best. X

Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
    Whatwha
    (female)

Whatwha HB User
    Re: Thinking in "dialogues" as if I'm speaking to someone else. Does anyone else do t

Thanks for the response! It's good to know that it's nothing too out there.

The following user gives a hug of support to Whatwha:
    k742 (03-27-2014)
    Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think it is normal to sometimes think in dialogue, especially when rehearsing a conversation you are anticipating. The difference between normal and abnormal is probably in the ability/inability to control it. If it is constant, intrusive, and prevents you from thinking in any other way, it needs attention, perhaps with a therapist. Our thoughts can be controlled and sometimes we need to learn techniques to guide our thoughts in a different direction, such as positive vs negative, serene vs stressful. I think the same could be done to reduce the dialogues. I find listening to music helps me relax my thought processes and not ruminate.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
    Whatwha
    (female)

Whatwha HB User

In the time after my initial post, I've been receiving treatment for depression with psychotic features. I'm now on low doses of Citalopram (Celexa), Clonazepam (Klonopin), and Risperidone (Risperdal), and have found that the dialogue-style thinking has decreased markedly.

Ladybud, thanks for the input. I did find it intrusive, but I didn't realize how much so until the medication took affect and I could finally think in first person, which feels much more normal/natural, and less convoluted. Yay!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling better and your thinking feels more normal!

Closed Thread

Tags
    obsessive compulsive disorder, ocd, schizophrenia