It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Will Schizophrenia ever go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
    bob9045
    (male)

bob9045 HB User
    Will Schizophrenia ever go away?

Hi, I was diagnosed with Psychosis in mid 2006 which I also learned on my own that I was having Schizophrenia as well.

My Psychiatrist put me under different medications from time to time. Now I have a different Psychiatrist and different medication as well, I am now using risperidone 2mg x2/day.

My question is "Am I still going to have a time when I won't have to use this medication anymore?"

I asked my doctor about it even before and he tells me not to worry as long as I follow his advice. But my problem here is that I have been taking medications since 2006 and every time I miss out to take my MEDs for more than 3 days - the voices in my head always start to come back, and they say I had a relapse so i have to start the process all over again.

Will I be having this medication for the rest of my life? Or will this surely end in some point in time?

Please help and shed some light. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
    soapandstars
    (female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User
    Re: Will Schizophrenia ever go away?

i hate to say it but for most, schizophrenia is a lifelong illness. it can go into remission and you may experience relief from all symptoms, but that's with the proper medication. then again, i have known people with psychosis/schizophrenia who are able to recover and successfully get off medication. but if this is the case, it MUST be closely monitored and approved by your doctor, and must be done slowly, for sometimes withdrawal from these meds can actually make symptoms WORSE. i know these meds suck, but at least you've found some that seem to help.

some people find their illness improves or even disappears in their late 40s or after. but realistically you should plan to be med compliant for as long as you need to be to get relief. i wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
    medication, psychosis, risperidone, schizophrenia