It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Psychotic episode from pain medication/unintentional self-injurious behavior

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
    Emgiez
    (female)

Emgiez HB User
    Psychotic episode from pain medication/unintentional self-injurious behavior

Useful facts before reading this:
    -Please don't get mad at me if you don't think I'm having psychotic episodes; I don't know
    -I have bipolar
    -I have never been diagnosed with schizophrenia
    -I have memory loss problems during my episodes
    -I just had gallbladder surgery 4 days ago
    -I've been taking small amounts of perkoset
    -I take xanax for night anxiety
    -I've had issues for the past few years where it feels like people are touching me, or there are drops of water falling on me
    -these issues have gotten worse since I've been on pain pills
    -This episode was not mania. I know mania. This was different.

I have been having what I guess is psychosis/extreme anxiety/I don't even KNOW what this nonsense is.

The night of my surgery, I was fine, didn't sleep well because of the pain, whatever.

The next night? Pure insanity.
    WARNING: this is sickening and embarrassing coming up
    Let me preface this with "Everybody poops." So let's get over that.
    Let me also preface this with the assurance that I HATE butt stuff. None of this happened because I wanted it to. Let me reassure you.

Apparently after abdominal surgery, sometimes your intestines can get upset. They kind of shut down for a bit. So constipation, diarrhea, pain, are all normal.
    I thought I was constipated. I had probably slurped down about 5 L of water that second day. I couldn't stop doing it. (looking back that's a CRAZY amount, but probably was foreshadowing the insanity; I NEVER drink that much water).
    I had already taken a water-soluble laxative (my mother (taking care of me) is a doctor and didn't want me to get constipated.)
    I hadn't gone since the night before surgery. I thought (THOUGHT being the key word here) that I was constipated. So, I drank more miralax at my mother's request. Long story short, (two trips to walmart, two suppositories, 2 doses of milk of magnesia and an fleet enema later) I was crazy. There was nothing in me. Nothing. (Let me just say real fast, God bless my mother. She is a saint. A saint that owns an arsenal of laxatives large enough to blow a hole in the ozone layer.)
    I felt disgusting after the butt-theatrics that had just gone on, so I decided to have a sponge bath because I had just had surgery.
    Let me preface this next bit with the fact that I remember only flashes of it.
    Two and a half hours later (two hours that felt like ten minutes) my mother came into the bathroom and asked what the hell I was doing.
    I was bright red. Like, parbroiled lobster red, and not only because I had scrubbed myself pink, but because I was so anxious that I was flushing red.
    I had gone nuts by this point. I had been shaking a little all day, and having hot and cold flashes, but I started into full-on tremors, visual and internal. I couldn't stop moving. I couldn't sit still.
    I was itching myself like crazy, so my mom gave me benadryl, and made me come and lay down in bed with her because she was afraid I was going to hurt myself.
    AND THEN: she gave me a xanax, and all hell broke loose.
    I was sitting up and laying down and sitting up and laying down. Over and over and over. (Note: just had abdominal surgery, so it hurt terribly the next day and probably during, not that I remember)
    I was crying my eyes out, I was begging my mom to never tell anyone that this had happened, and I was telling her how nuts I was, and that "I needed professional help" because "who the hell does this."

Still don't remember anything from this point.

Somehow, in some miraculous way, I fell asleep.

I woke up an hour later, still shaking but less insane, went back to my room, wrote my mother an email saying how much I loved her, and fell asleep. (I remember this vaguely)

This happened again last night, just to a slightly lesser degree and minus the butt drama and the email.

It happened again tonight, only to a slightly lesser degree, minus the butt drama, and also I'm still awake. It's 1 AM.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    I'm going crazy here.

Last edited by Emgiez; 05-03-2014 at 11:09 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Emgiez:
    Kerouac77 (05-22-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
    Kerouac77
    (male)

Kerouac77 HB User
    Re: Psychotic episode from pain medication/unintentional self-injurious behavior

i am diagnosed with bipolar as well and used to abuse pain meds which led to a psychotic episode and it got pretty scary and this led to my first hospital stay i signed myself in so i suppose i eventually became more lucid everyone there was like you signed yourself in you should sign a 36 hour assessment form but of course i knew i needed the help so honestly best thing i ever did. bipolar is extremly annoying and sometimes hard to believe/accept but when i don't take my meds which sometimes i still am stubborn about it always ends up bad oh and to get back on topic i truely believe pain meds can cause psychotic episodes cause i went through it and through bad enough to stay away from those types of drugs still not a saint and they are useful when used correctly but i of coarse was not

Last edited by Kerouac77; 05-21-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bipolar, pain medication, psychosis, shaking