It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

• is my scoliosis progressive?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-15-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
    neville19
    (male)

neville19 HB User
    is my scoliosis progressive?

hi friends,

i'm 28 and was recently diagnosed with scoliosis (2014)... can someone tell me if my scoliosis is progressive or not from the below two xrays taken in mid-2014 and early 2016 respectively? thank you so much

http://i65.tinypic.com/30wqjjp.png

Last edited by Administrator; 01-15-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #2
    meru
    (female)

meru HB User
    Re: is my scoliosis progressive? (xrays attached)

Your X Rays are not opening but even if i could open them i would not be able to tell just from them. Now what I've been told is that scoliosis will not progress after you've finished growing UNLESS your curve is at 40į or more. The best way to prevent any progression is to get regular chiropractic care (find a good one with experience with scoliosis... Others could do more harm than good!) and to keep a strong core. Keeping the muscles around your spine strong will help keep you from pain and progression.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
    Mrs195
    (female)

Mrs195 HB User

As someone who was diagnosed with minor scoliosis as a teen, I can tell you with the utmost certainty, scoliosis does and will continue to progress as you age. Ppl can choose to believe chiropractic care will halt any progression but they are seriously misinformed. Scoliosis medical information will also back this information.

My initial curves as as teenager were 28-29 degrees, considered a double major curve. I was not braced, and studies have shown bracing is a temporary fix, later in life, the curves will worsen. I went about my life, with back pain here and there, spinal manipulations from both chiropractors and DOs. My curves now measured 33 degrees. I worked, had 4 children and my back pain eventually became unbearable. When my SI joint started causing excessive pain due to one leg being slightly shorter due to the scoliosis, I had repeat X-rays.

My minor curves had now progressed to 45 degrees each, and the individual vertebrae had all rotated instead of remaining neatly stacked on top of each other. Per the spinal deformity surgeons, the progression will continue at roughly 2 degrees per year, nothing will stop it.

Iím having surgery to correct the most problematic portion of my double major curve after the 1st of the year. T9-sacrum, with pelvic fixation with anchor screws. Scoliosis is a serious condition, that WILL catch up to you later in life, no matter what chiropractors try to sell you. Iím 46, and now on SSDI after already having an L5-S1 fusion for spondylolithesis.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
    neville19
    (male)

neville19 HB User

^ You just scared the daylights out of me. Man, Iím only 29, my curve is a thoracic 35 degree as measured by my ortho doctor last year, and he said it wonít progress, and I shouldnít bother getting an X-ray for 5 years. I was also suggested regular Physio but I got too lazy to do it after a few months.

Nowadays, Iíve started getting back pain after just a few minutes of any physical activity and it feels like chest pain rather than back.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
    Lapra1234
    (female)

Lapra1234 HB User
    Re: is my scoliosis progressive?

If the doctors don't think it's progressive then I wouldn't worry too much! I have it and it doesn't really affect my life. Actually my shoulder bones are uneven also. That isn't a big deal though. I actually know a lot of people that have it.

Reply Reply