It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

• Is it my fault that I have scoliosis? What did I do wrong?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
    cosmox
    (male)

cosmox HB User
    Question Is it my fault that I have scoliosis? What did I do wrong?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with a 20 S curve scoliosis at 19 years. I'm 20 years old now and male. What did I do wrong to get it? Was I too thin? Poor nutrition? Did I sit unevenly too long infront of the pc desk? Did I carry something too heavy?

I was only 55 kg from 16 to 20 years because of anxiety and psychosis. Now at 20 years weight is fine at 70 kg. Did that cause or worsen my scoliosis? Was it something else? What did I do to deserve this?

I would understand that if I had it from the beginning it would be genetic. But we found it when I was 19 years old so it can't be..? Did I do something wrong? Is it my fault? Did I worsen it somehow to 20 S curve? Maybe if I had eaten more back then, then I wouldn't have any scoliosis now or only 10 ? Could my scoliosis have been prevented?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
    esker
    Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
    Re: Is it my fault that I have scoliosis? What did I do wrong?

It's not your fault and you did not worsen. No one understands scoliosis well enough to identify the cause. Focus instead on managing what you have instead of worrying about what might have been.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Definitely not your fault. I had moderate scoliosis for "100 years" and then 2 years ago fell over a cement car stop during a snow storm and somehow jarred my spine so it started progressing. now at 79 years old i have very severe scoliosis. my diaphragm is up in my lungs and my esophagus and trachea are bent at the collarbone area.

I am going to PT to slow down the progression as I am not a candidate for surgery (which BTW the ortho surgeon said is not successful in a large percentage of cases. GET TO PT NOW and check with a really good ortho surgeon and get a 2nd opinion also.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
    cosmox
    (male)

cosmox HB User

Thank you guys! Now I feel better when you tell me it's not my fault.
    I wish you the best with your scoliosis! If anyone else knows to say if scoliosis is my fault, do it.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
    guit30
    (male)

guit30 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Is it my fault that I have scoliosis? What did I do wrong?

Hi Cosmodrone ,
    No, you did not do anything wrong to get scoliosis. I have cervical and spinal stenosis, a lot of bulging and herniated discs, I am 64, then last year, I got a bad case of scoliosis, 56 degrees, never had it before. Do you have any other back problems?
    guit30

Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
    cosmox
    (male)

cosmox HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guit30 View Post
    Hi Cosmodrone ,
    No, you did not do anything wrong to get scoliosis. I have cervical and spinal stenosis, a lot of bulging and herniated discs, I am 64, then last year, I got a bad case of scoliosis, 56 degrees, never had it before. Do you have any other back problems?
    guit30
    No, not really. The doctor said something of a kyphoscoliosis or so. I don't know what that means but my mother said she could only see my scoliosis. I don't think I have kyphosis.

The scoliosis is only 20 and I feel no pain at all. Except when I sit for like 6 or 8 hours in front of the pc. But that rarely happens and the pain is minimal.
    So you're all very sure that my underweight didn't cause or even worsen my scoliosis? I did not do anything by myself to get it or worsen my scoliosis? Can I believe this 100% now?

So thank you guys for your support! I hope your lives will be better!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
    cosmox
    (male)

cosmox HB User

So I didn't do anything wrong? My scoliosis developed by itself? Underweight and other things I did are not at fault for my scoliosis? I did not worsen it any little bit?

Closed Thread

Tags
    back ache, back pain, nutrition, scoliosis