It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

Living with scoliosis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Aibee
(female)

Aibee HB User
Living with scoliosis

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 11 and since then I have been having on and off back pain for some years. I'm 17 now and it was awkward going to high school especially as it was a boarding school where I had to wear uniforms. Then came the uncomfortable questions from seniors calling me to ask what happened to my back. My mates also asked the same questions and all the time I would try my best to change the topic or something. And I always felt that neither my friends nor my family understood me. My mum called me lazy because I didn't like cleaning when she didn't know that small activities like that could give me pain and make me to sleep uncomfortably. I'd like to think that I've grown stronger and can handle it everytime I make new friends and they hug me or something and realise that there's something wrong with my back. But I'm not sure because I still break down about it sometimes. One of the hard times was when in my final year of highschool, a girl who was a fake friend started the nickname 'tortoise' for me and liked to make fun of me. I clapped back of course but it broke me inside anytime I heard her say it. We've graduated now and I still keep in touch with my closest high school friends. Never did I think that one of my favorite friends( let me call her B) in the world would start calling me a tortoise too. She and my other fake friend laughed at it and brought it up whenever they could in the highest group chat we were on. Sometimes I think B's own stemmed out of jealousy because I am going abroad to school and she isn't but I guess I'll never know for sure. Another friend(let me call her Indy) surprised me more when she started making fun of my scoliosis again. Indy was almost like a best friend to me so imagine my surprise when one day she just told me that I'm a tortoise and should leave her alone when we were just joking around. I couldn't believe it because she had so many insecurities and never had I ever made fun of them or even brought them up. It was then I realized that some friends are better to let go. Now as I enter university and meet new people, I hope that they don't just see my scoliosis and label me, but they know me for who I am.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply