It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

Did I cause and worsen my scoliosis? So is it my fault?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User
Did I cause and worsen my scoliosis? So is it my fault?

Hello, I want to know what caused my scoliosis. At 19 years or so (maybe earlier) I had underweight of 55 kg for one year and at late 19 years we found a 20 S curve scoliosis. I can also remember sitting unevenly with my legs on the table and leaning to the side in front of the computer.

Did that cause and worsen my scoliosis? Could it have been entirely prevented if I had kept normal weight and good sitting positions? Is it my fault? Maybe I only had 5 and due to my actions and my underweight it worsened to 20? I feel guilty about it. What are your opinions? My doctors said they do not know the cause and if I worsened it since it's an idiopathic scoliosis.

I want to know if scoliosis is my fault, if I worsened it because when I do strength workout I keep thinking about my spine and how I think it's all my fault and how I could have prevented it...
And it makes me very angry and I lose motivation. I can't give 100% do you understand?! I want to know what caused my scoliosis finally! Was it myself who worsened it to 20?
Thanks for the answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Did I cause and worsen my scoliosis? So is it my fault?

No, hazard6, you did not cause the curve of your spine. You could have been born with it, and a lot of people have varying degrees of scoliosis and don't even know it.

Birth defects, injuries or infections affect the development of the spine. It is not your fault. When doctors cannot determine the cause, neither can you. I have scoliosis because one of my legs was broken so my legs are no longer the same length. Those things are not our fault. Let your doctor help you deal with it. In my case a shoe insert gives enough lift to make my legs even enough.

Ask your doctor if there is anything that can help correct the leg length disparity. Then do what you can and don't worry yourself over what cannot be changed.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 10-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
No, hazard6, you did not cause the curve of your spine. You could have been born with it, and a lot of people have varying degrees of scoliosis and don't even know it.

Birth defects, injuries or infections affect the development of the spine. It is not your fault. When doctors cannot determine the cause, neither can you. I have scoliosis because one of my legs was broken so my legs are no longer the same length. Those things are not our fault. Let your doctor help you deal with it. In my case a shoe insert gives enough lift to make my legs even enough.

Ask your doctor if there is anything that can help correct the leg length disparity. Then do what you can and don't worry yourself over what cannot be changed.
So it's not my fault and I didn't worsen it? It was not preventable and no matter what I would have done I would still have a 20 S curve scoliosis now? Is it really not my fault? Is there no need to feel guilty for me? Pls answer and thank you.

If anyone else knows more, please tell.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
esker
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

It's not your fault. You did not cause the scoliosis. Your weight and your sitting habits are not causes of scoliosis.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User

Okay, weight and sitting positions are not the causes of my scoliosis. But did these also not worsen my scoliosis? In a sense that I had 5 or 10 and it worsened up to 20. Is that thinkable? No?

Is there really no guilt to blame for me? Underweight and me sitting and leaning to the side in school or in front of the pc had nothing to do with my scoliosis? Should I stop worrying?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
esker
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

You can stop worrying. There is no guilt or blame for you.

Underweight and sitting positions do not cause or worsen scoliosis.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by esker View Post
You can stop worrying. There is no guilt or blame for you.

Underweight and sitting positions do not cause or worsen scoliosis.
Oh thank you so much esker, that's what I've been wanting to hear. Unfortunately I have ocd and I become easily obsessed about these things, that's why I worry so much coupled with my anxiety. But I will try to stop worrying now. You're right esker it's not my fault and I didn't worsen it, thank you thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to hazard6:
YaYagirl (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

No hazard6, no it is not your fault. You did not do this to yourself. And, you cannot fix it yourself.

We can have feelings that are not based on facts. This is one of those times. Tell yourself the truth. You did not cause the problem.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
No hazard6, no it is not your fault. You did not do this to yourself. And, you cannot fix it yourself.

We can have feelings that are not based on facts. This is one of those times. Tell yourself the truth. You did not cause the problem.
Yes, you're right, thank you YaYagirl.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
hazard6
(male)

hazard6 HB User

Hmm. But why did I get a 20 scoliosis then? Just bad luck?
Regardless, it had nothing to do with any of my actions, right?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Why? It's genetics.
q

Reply Reply