It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

• I think I have scoliosis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
    andrei0310
    (male)

andrei0310 HB User
    I think I have scoliosis

Hello! I'm 20 and I think I have scoliosis. I first noticed that my lower ribs on the left side of my abdomen are slightly further out than those on my right but I didn't know why and when I asked my parents they said that it is normal so I didn't know it's scoliosis. Fast forward 6 or 7 years and I realize that this is scoliosis. It seems to have progressed slowly and fortunately (I guess) I don't have a very large curvature.

So the question is what to do now? As far as I know, braces are no longer a solution. I haven't seen a doctor for this yet. But before I do that I wanted to ask online. I don't like the idea of living my whole life with scoliosis as it's noticeable from behind as well as from the side (my left upper body is asymmetrical from the side too). And I don't know about surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
    Amanda06
    (female)

Amanda06 HB User
    Re: I think I have scoliosis

I was recently diagnosed with Scoliosis, but I am no longer a young lady like you, at age 20 or so. At that age, I was in perfect health, no doctor's visit whatever. Frankly, since I'm an elderly lady with newly diagnosed scoliosis, I can not offer any concrete assumption on this. I understand you are hesitant to go to Neurologist or spine-dr, but first thing you need to do is to go to your Primary doctor. Any disease, particularly, spine-related health issues are very tricky. My suggestion is to get CT scan, MRI or similar test to rule things out, because any diseases are not getting better without medical-intervention.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: I think I have scoliosis

A simple x-ray will tell you whether or not you have it. I'd see my primary doc for one...if you have a friend who is a PT, they can usually tell also. But you would need the x-ray to confirm. And then your doctor can tell you about options. He may send you to a neurologist to do that.

Reply Reply